Broken bulb retaining clip assembly HELP - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-30-2008, 01:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Recruit

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Broken bulb retaining clip assembly HELP

Hi All,

I'll try to explain this as best I am able.

I was replacing the low beam bulb on my 05 Subaru Outback and after I got the new bulb in place I was twisting down the metal spring retining clip that holds the bulb in when the plastic part of the assembly the spring clip is mounted in (a screw holds it in place) snapped off and dropped into the bowels of the front bumper never to be seen again.

A local Subaru dealer is telling me the entire headlamp assembly needs to be replaced at a cost of $650AU

Surely there are replacement parts for these things, but I am unable to find an online microfiche showing an exploded parts view of Subaru's

Does anyone have any advice (other than I'm screwed) or know any hot links with a microfiche?

I have sent an email to a wreckers distribution list to try and source a second hand light but I really really really hope there is a part available for what I broke.

Glenn.
Toasty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2008, 10:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Superb Moderator

Car: MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT

Wow.

Any way you can make something work? I mean even a paper clip bent in an array of directions? And does the bulb actually want to come out if the wire is not there?

Brian
Old 07-30-2008, 10:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 06 wrx wagon

If a screw holds the plastic bit that holds the wire piece then you should be able to either find a replacement or make something yourself.
It sounds like you'd need a small piece of metal bent to hold the wire and then be screwed down securely. You might need to pull the light off the car to make it really work.

A paperclip would probably work just fine, I once used one to reattach the wastegate actuator rod on my old Saab. It lasted 2 years before I had to replace it (with another paperclip of course)
Old 07-31-2008, 12:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Recruit

Quote:
I mean even a paper clip bent in an array of directions?
Quote:
If a screw holds the plastic bit that holds the wire piece then you should be able to either find a replacement or make something yourself.
Simple solutions, I like it! Will have to see if there is any meat left on the plastic to hook something around.

Quote:
And does the bulb actually want to come out if the wire is not there?
Definitly needs something holding it in place, yes.

Also my wife updated me on the conversation she had with the Subaru dealer when she told them how I broke it, "Oh yes, that happens quite regularly and the light in the Outbacks hasn't changed for years. We have lots of customers who have broken the light in the same way, that's why you should get a qualified mechanic to do it"

Right, so they know it is prone to damage, they know it is a common problem, INFORMATION THEY COULD HAVE PASSED ON TO MY WIFE WHEN SHE BOUGHT THE BULB FROM THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-31-2008, 08:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Outback 2.5i

do any of these parts look like the one you are needing? These are all the available parts for the '05 headlamp. If you need to know what a piece is called or how much it is, let me know.
Marbleyard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2008, 12:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Recruit

Quote:
do any of these parts look like the one you are needing
Unfortunatly it looks like part #5, so the entire **** headlight (except the right hand side one, that image is the left). The retaining setup which is broken holds in light #8, but looking at your image there are no spare componants.

Thanks for taking the time to look, I'd be interested in a price for a right hand side light, the $AUD is quite strong at the moment...
Old 12-02-2010, 06:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

It's happened to me too. The first time I chenged the front headlight, the part that holds the clip broke. So , I attached the metal in a way that kept the bulb in place. Now the bulb went out again, after less than 2 years of use, and when I went to replace it, the small screww/plastic that held the wire clip broke. So, now they tell me I have to buy a new headlight assembly. This is too much! I tried a paper clip and now it's being held by computer cable ties. All this because of DRL's. I'm about to disconnect the DRL. I had a Honda for 7 years and never had to replace a headlight! Anyone know where I can buy a used headlight for the Subaru Outback 2005 wagon? I'm being quoted over 400 from the dealer and over 200 from an auto parts store.
avin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2011, 05:23 AM   #8 (permalink)

Just replaced left side low beam and the same has happened, small screw and plastic snapped a flew off never to be seen again. Went to check the right side to check how it all went back together and ping off it went too. Felt like a real dill ! Any other ideas? Can some send paper clips. Not looking forward to sourcing 2 x light assemblies for no gain in what I had the day before yesterday. Help?
mattyg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 2008 Subaru Outback L.L Bean Edition 2.5i

I just had the same thing happen to me when I was trying to install the Ralleye 65W bulbs. I utilized electrical tape to help keep the bulb in place. Does anyone see a problem with this? I just don't want to have a fire happen in my headlight :-/
mccoycmw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 09:18 AM   #10 (permalink)

Car: 2008 Subaru Outback L.L Bean Edition 2.5i

Bump
mccoycmw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: