Heated Mirror Wiring/Relay Info? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-10-2009, 07:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 1999 30th Anniversary Legacy 2.5L 4EAT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Heated Mirror Wiring/Relay Info?

So Winter returned today!

My Subie ('99 OBW) has heated side mirrors! Best thing invented along with heated seats and the front wiper heater.

The mirror heat is controlled by a switch beside the mirror adjustment knob

There is a little red indicator that comes on when you push the switch. It does not seem to be an LED or bulb? Mine no longer indicates when you push the switch. Anyone have any Wiring Info on how this circuit works? In some systems I am familiar with those types of indicators are current sensitive and indicate if sufficient current draw is present and thus whether the heater is working. Not sure how the indicator in my Subie works?

I think the heat works but was wondering if I could fix the indicator. Don't really want to spend $45 for a new switch to get the indicator to work though.

Any ideas as to how to remove this switch (back light bulb also needs to be replaced).
miker104 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2009, 08:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

Looked in Owners Manual not much there.

Ordered a Haynes Manual hope it helps?

Anybody?
Old 12-16-2009, 11:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i Touring (SE) D-4AT
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Doubt the Hanes will help. The individual bulbs built into switches like that are not listed as separate or replacable parts. But many have replaced the bulbs with a little care and ingenuity. If you do a search here for seat heater switch or fog light switch, there will be a number of threads with details. (The switch can be disassembled, but there are some small parts that can get lost.)

There is a micro-bulb inside that others have been able to replace with one available at Radio Shack.

When the switch is ON, the bulb is effectively connected across the heater elements. It indicateswhen power should be going to the heaters, but it does not indicate whether or not the heaters themselves are working.

The switch assembly should come out from the instrument panel with careful prying around the edge. There is a wiring connector at the back.
plain OM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2009, 12:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

OM,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not generally impressed with Haynes manuals but thought I'd see how this one is.

As far as the switch, I will try and get a look behind it and see if I can get it out without wrecking it. I'm very familiar with the other switch light threads so hopefully it will be the same.

On another note, do you know how the Mirror heat circuit is wired? I have guessed that there is a relay and a fuse (maybe in engine compartment) that feeds the relay. Then the wires must run to the mirrors to provide the heat. I was looking for a schematic to get it stuck in my head. Maybe I'll just have to pony up the short term subscription to Subaru tech info and d/l it for future reference. Need a non-hockey weekend without honey-do list to get to the manual d/l though.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i Touring (SE) D-4AT
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Wiring

A lot simpler. 12 V from fuse #3 in the cabin fuse box goes to the two heaters. The other side of the heaters is connected to the switch, which grounds that line when the heater is turned on.

I have both the FSM and the Haynes for mine, and several others in bits and pieces. There's no question that the FSM is well worth the time (download, organize) and the (in my view very reasonable) cost. The Haynes focuses more on "how to" for repairs and maintenance, but doesn't provide the background detail that can be useful when troubleshooting. Moreover, it often covers several years and models, but doesn't alway provide information on all. Nevertheless it is good in what it does provide, so it and the FSM complement each other.
Attached Thumbnails
Heated Mirror Wiring/Relay Info?-mirror-heater.jpg  
plain OM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2009, 08:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks OM that makes it easy enough for even me to understand! Looks like I'll add that switch to the many others in my car that need new bulbs.

I used to have a copy of the pdfs for the manual put did not take the time to organize them. Will have to make it a project, perhaps over Christmas break to do that. Will be away from home to get any honeydo projects done and will have some time.

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: