Interior light anomalies - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-02-2010, 03:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Recruit

Car: outback 2005
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Interior light anomalies

On cold evening yesterday, interior light on right front passenger door did not turn off when door was closed. Dashboard indicator showed right front door open, although door was shut and locked. After several tries of shutting door and pressing in black "nipple" button on door frame (which controls the door light operation), the door light and dashboard indicator light went off. But problem has returned today. We don't want light to stay on and run down battery. Any suggestions (besides simply removing lightbulb)? Perhaps coincidentally, the alarm went off two times (inexplicably) after we thought we had corrected the problem. We turned off the alarm using the unlock function on the remote entry.
michelndu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2010, 06:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Probably some water or condensation got into the switch behind the rubber cover, and it being very cold, has frozen a bit so that the switch. If the car is parked in a warm garage, the water might dry out. It might be possible to lift the rubber cover off and use a hair dryer to speed up the drying.

Check that the rubber cover is on properly and there's no tears in it that allow water to enter.

To protect the battery, the ceiling light can be switched off (the switch has three positions, ON, DOOR, and OFF) however, the dash warning light cannot be easily defeated. This is an LED and shouldn't drain the battery unless it is already quite run down and there are no other lights on.

The alarm is sounding because it senses a door open when it shouldn't be (e.g. the car has been locked)
plain OM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2010, 05:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Car: 2005outback 2.5i
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default tape is to tight

i had the same thing happen seems like when the wire harnesses are made they are using black electrical tape to manage the bundles. even at the flex points around the doors and rear hatch (this is where i found my problem) the tape is not letting the wires flex. i have found broken wires and stressed insulation due to this flaw.
hunterlord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: