HID Fog Light Upgrade - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-06-2010, 07:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2005 OBW 2.5i, snorkel, skid plates, etc...
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default HID Fog Light Upgrade

Just finished the DDM Tuning fog light upgrade.

It is a true plug and play setup at a price that can't be beat.

Went with the 35W 3000k set and am very pleased with the light dispersion and pattern. Checked it on the road and driving towards it in another vehicle and there is no issue with blinding/annoying oncoming traffic as the spread is low and wide.

And since one of my low beams bought the farm this week, I'm going to fit the DDM H7 35W 4500k kit in the low beam projectors.

Will try to get pics up tomorrow.
SOLD 95 Audi S6

"99% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at..."

The Superu
superu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2010, 12:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2004 Outback Wagon, Mystic Blue Pearl
Default Re: HID Fog Light Upgrade

Quote:
Originally posted by superu
Just finished the DDM Tuning fog light upgrade.

It is a true plug and play setup at a price that can't be beat.

Went with the 35W 3000k set and am very pleased with the light dispersion and pattern. Checked it on the road and driving towards it in another vehicle and there is no issue with blinding/annoying oncoming traffic as the spread is low and wide.

And since one of my low beams bought the farm this week, I'm going to fit the DDM H7 35W 4500k kit in the low beam projectors.

Will try to get pics up tomorrow.
Nice, I just ordered the same DDM set up for my head lights. So did you just go with a bulb replacement on the fogs, or do they have some sort of housing too.

I have been thinking through how I will hook up the DDM kit for the headlight, given the nature of the waterproof housing, so I will be interested to see what you come up with too (although it may be different on the 3rd gen).

BTW, how did you settle on the DDM kit?
Old 03-10-2010, 11:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car: '05 Outback 2.5i - 5-Spd Manual

You guys remember this thread, right?

'04 KYB's all around | SpecB LCA Bushings | Whiteline Rear Camber Bushings | LGT RSB | Hawk HPS Pads | Nokian WR G2 SUV's | '08 HU | Subaru Sub

Save The Manuals!
'05 Outback 2.5i is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 11:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2004 Outback Wagon, Mystic Blue Pearl

Quote:
Originally posted by '05 Outback2.5i
You guys remember this thread, right?
Yeah, but I don't think I will end up with the same results on my 2004, its a different Kit that has received much better reviews than the Apexcone. Plus, I am doing both the low and high beam which should really step up the late night back woods driving.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: '05 Outback 2.5i - 5-Spd Manual

Quote:
Originally posted by rockhopjohn

Yeah, but I don't think I will end up with the same results on my 2004, its a different Kit that has received much better reviews than the Apexcone. Plus, I am doing both the low and high beam which should really step up the late night back woods driving.
Well, let us know how it turns out. From my understanding of lighting design, the non projector style headlamps of the earlier cars will produce even poorer results (from the standpoint of lighting pattern), and even more glare to oncoming drivers..

'04 KYB's all around | SpecB LCA Bushings | Whiteline Rear Camber Bushings | LGT RSB | Hawk HPS Pads | Nokian WR G2 SUV's | '08 HU | Subaru Sub

Save The Manuals!
'05 Outback 2.5i is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 12:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

I learned something a long time ago about the - flood lighting for short distance sides of the road ie under the bumper lights.

1st off they are not "fog lights" the true purpose of the smaller under bumper lights which you can turn off and on with (Low Beams Only!! State law in nearly every state) is for lighting the sides of the road at short distances vs the long distance head lights. Check to make sure when you hit your high beams that the flood lighting under your bumper turns off automatically.

The lighting concept is actually from the rally car world where you need both long distance visibility and some flood lighting along the shoulders of the road at short distances so you can see where the shoulders of the road are and any items that might damage your car etc.

Lighting in fog - the lower angle and more specific ie targeted beam of light creates less reflection off the fog and better visibility your low beams are the best option- something that true rally style running lights are not good for given they are more of a wide flood style light source thus creating more reflected light off the fog if used.

Don't confuse our clear bright white flood style running lights with the old yellow lensed days of the past "fog" lights. They are not the same and have two totally different applications and functions.

I use my under bumper flood lighting for reading street signs in dark locations - and when driving on narrow dark roads with sketchy shoulders they dramatically improve your short range road shoulder visibility. Hence why they are located as far outboard as possible and generally light up an area quite close to the car with a broad flood style range vs a very specific beam of light.
subiesailor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 06:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Car: 2005outback 2.5i
Default i'm liking my 2500k fogs and headlights.

somebody on here in a past thread reminded us about rod and cones. during long drives in unlit rural areas my eyes don't fatigue. i can go 400 miles at night without that burning eye feel.
hunterlord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2010, 01:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
snowbaru?

Car: 99 Outback Limited, KN Filter, tow hitch, black tint, Hella 500s, DIY clear corners

i noticed they (DDM Tuning) have a set for 35W 9007 Hi/Low bulb. How do you think they would work in a 1st Gen OBW?
Old 03-15-2010, 12:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

how about some pics of the new lights?
Ole DW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2010, 05:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car: 2005 OBW 2.5i, snorkel, skid plates, etc...
Default One more set

Just installed a set of 4500k H7 HIDs in my 05.

Will try to get better pics once the rain stops, but here's a cell phone shot to start you off.

The kits are both from DDMTuning. They are the 29.95 Apexcones.

3000k for the fogs. True PnP with no cutting or drilling required.
4500k for the lows. No cutting, but need to drill a 7/8" hole in the middle of the cover to feed the wires through to the ballast. Grommet included works fine.

The projector lamps still maintain the cutoff and appear to offer a good pattern.

I also did the 5 minute DRL mod to eliminate those while I was at it.

The fogs have been fantastic in the rain over the past few nights. Very easy on the eyes when driving on unlit forested roads. Will post impressions of the 4500k lows after I've had a couple of nights behind the wheel with them.
SOLD 95 Audi S6

"99% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at..."

The Superu
superu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: