1997 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, electronics are dead - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-16-2010, 01:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 1997 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, electronics are dead

Hi all,

I have a 1997 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport. As I tried to turn on my car yesterday I realized that none of the systems are working in my car. First of all I tried to Jumpstart the battery. It didn't work. I took a Mulitmeter and checked the battery voltage (12.53V). The battery should not be the problem I think. With turning the key, there should at least some lights be switched on in the dashboard. But everything is dead. No reaction at all. I took parts from the steering away to check the ignition module and finally I measured the voltages at the ignition module against ground. There is no voltage there. Does anyone had a problem like that before, are there similar problems with Impreza's out there. Or does anyone have an idea what is going on, please help!
Thank you for your help.
Matt
lowrainer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2010, 09:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

I'm not familiar with the Impreza, but assuming it is similar to the Outback, do the stop (brake) lights work? Also, do the Hazard (emergency) lights work?

Both should work even with the key out. If both don't work, it could be a bad ground (negative) connection at the battery or where the negative cable is attached to the body of the car and/or engine. It could also be a bad connection or broken wire from the battery positive terminal to the fuse box in the engine compartment.

If the Hazards work, but the brake lights don't, the problem could be a blown fusible link in the engine compartment fuse box.

Others might have more ideas, but perhaps start with this.

Last edited by plain OM; 06-17-2010 at 05:59 PM. Reason: clarification of negative connections
plain OM is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2010, 11:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for your idea,

no emergency light is working neither do the stop (brake) lights. Everything is dead windows can't be closed or opened and the central locking system is dead to.

Thanks
Old 06-17-2010, 11:10 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2004 Outback Sport, 5MT, Silver

I had a similar issue with my 96 camry. Nothing would happen, regardless of key position. I eventually figured out by a fluke that when I put downward pressure on the positive battery cable that the car would come back to life.

I spent half an hour with a battery terminal brush cleaning both terminals and the cable clamps, tightened everything back up nice and snug. I haven't had a problem since.

I'd say take a stiff wire bristled brush and go clean up your battery terminals and make sure that the connections are good and snug.
I'm with OM about this being a battery connection issue, since everything is dead it doesn't sound like power is being supplied to the system.
04OBSMT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2010, 08:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Yes, check the connections at the battery terminals as 04OBSMT noted. Also, follow the cables to their opposite ends and check the connectors there. The positive battery terminal will have one cable that goes to the starter, and others that go to the fuse box. Make sure all of these are in good condition and properly connected.

The negative cable might go directly to the engine block. There should also be a cable (round or braided) from the engine to the body of the car. Make sure the latter is intact and well connected.

I've attached a partial wiring diagram for the area around the battery. As is evident, if the ground is bad, nothing will work. On the positive side, there are multiple branches through the SBFs. So even if one SBF were blown, the other circuits should work. But if power isn't getting from the battery positive to where it branches off through the SBFs, then again nothing works.
Attached Thumbnails
1997 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, electronics are dead-6172010_80548-pm.jpg  
plain OM is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2010, 10:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

Great, thanks for your help. I found the problem finally. The cable from the positive battery terminal to the main fuse box was disconnected. The connection clamp to the positive terminal broke. I bought a new clamp and just connected the main fuse box cable to the battery.

Thanks a lot, great support!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: