1999 outback aftermarket sound system - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-20-2010, 10:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 1999 outback aftermarket sound system

I'm planning on installing on a full sound system on my 99 outback including a sub, all door speakers and two amps. Already have an after market head unit. I was wondering if anyone has a write up to make things go a lot faster. Thanks .
outback28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2010, 04:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2006 Legacy GT GRP EJ257 5MT

I dont think I can do a full write up, but I have a Pioneer head unit, 2 Kicker 12s and an amp, and its actually a pretty easy setup on these cars.

I would start off with a good head unit though, its well worth the extra money. With my setup I can still run the factory speakers because the stereo can transfer all of the bass to the subs, and run the high frequency stuff through the speakers. So I have clear highs, and hard hitting lows, with my current setup I can flex the roof and hatch without distortion.

I would also buy the adapter plug for the head unit so you dont have to cut up the factory wiring, and if you ever sell the car, you can easily pop the factory stereo back in.

I have my amp right on the back of my sub box, which is facing towards the back of the car, nestled between the rear strut towers. I have the cables wrapped in electrical tape together the length of the car so they are protected from cuts and water better, and it looks better. the only spot the cables are visible is the gap between the center console and the rear seat. I thought about cutting the carpet under the center console and running the wires under the carpet until under the rear seat, but seeing the cables for a couple of inches wasn't worth the effort. I do have the cables tucked under the center console though, because it was easy to do without taking out the center console.

I have the amp power wire run the the firewall just above the gas pedal were there is a grommet the leads directly through to the engine bay, and was a straight shot to the battery. To get the wire through the grommet, I just got a big drill bit and drilled through the rubber, and then tucked the cable through, mine is still snug around the cable so it seals out the noise, smell, and moisture.

Another tip is, if you have the rubber cargo mat, your sub box will slide around, but there are cargo ties in the floor that work perfectly for a nice bungee cord/rope.

If you have any other questions let me know, or if you want any pictures of anything.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply,

I was wondering how to take the head unit out and also the door panels ? Do you ave pic of these steps ?
outback28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2010, 06:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2000 Outback wagon 2.5L

I have the same setup as kookookachew, 2 kickers and an aftermarket headunit. i got my HU from crutchfield, so it came with an awesome booklet with instructions to take everything apart and install it all correctly, including the door speakers. Im not sure if this is true but I think I've seen someone post a copy of that booklet on the electronics forums here check around for that and if not ill copy it and post it.
kmich680 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: