MP3 Aux won't work - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-29-2011, 07:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default MP3 Aux won't work

I recently bought a 2008 Outback and just got around to trying the AUX MP3 feature. I plugged in my MP3 player and it seems the 4-way toggle button on the dash won't activate the MP3 function. Any hints as to what I can to to fix this? I followed the instructions in the owner's manual, but I can't get it to work. It does play CD's fine, and it does toggle between radio bands (FM1 FM2 and AM), but when I press the AUX right side of the button, nothing happens, the radio still plays. HELP! Thanks! Carol
pineconz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2011, 07:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 05 Outback 2.5i

Are you sure that you have the 3.5mm plug all the way in the Aux port? You have to push pretty hard to have it seat all the way and trust me you wouldn't be the first one not to have it pushed in all the way.

Mods: Alpine CDA-105
OutdoorOBW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2011, 08:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Mp3 aux

Hi OutdoorOBW
Thanks for the speedy reply -
Yes, I made sure the jack was seated as far as it would go, made sure that the MP3 player was playing through ear buds, everything that I could think of. It's like the AUX button is broken and just doesn't activate the AUX function, like it's not making contact at all. I don't know if this is something that can be easily fixed without ripping the whole radio/dash apart.
Obviously, it's not something that is critical to the operation of the car, but it was a feature that I was really looking forward to using.
I wish I knew someone else with a Outback to see how their audio system functions as a comparison. Maybe the local dealer will let me try one on their lot....
Thanks for trying to help!
Old 01-29-2011, 10:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

The AUX port actually has a micro switch that grounds a wire when the plug is fully seated. If the radio doesn't see that the wire is grounded then it will not switch to AUX. My guess would be is that the grounded wire has a short or is loose somewhere and not sending the signal to the radio.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default Mp3 aux

Thanks for the info Outdoor.
Is there a way to check to see if the micro switch in the Aux port in the center console is shorted out? If so, it there a way to repair it, or will I need to take it to a car stereo place or a Subaru dealer? Thanks again for your help.
Carol
Old 01-30-2011, 08:10 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineconz View Post
Thanks for the info Outdoor.
Is there a way to check to see if the micro switch in the Aux port in the center console is shorted out? If so, it there a way to repair it, or will I need to take it to a car stereo place or a Subaru dealer? Thanks again for your help.
Carol
This I have no answer for. Sorry.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default MP3 Aux jack is working now

Hi Outdoor -
I don't know what I did, but I kept playing with plugging in the jack cable, blew out the jack receptacle with air, sprayed contact cleaner on it and all of a sudden, the AUX started working. I'm not going to temp fate by unplugging the cable, I'm going to leave it plugged in and just toggle between the radio and the AUX with the button on the dash. I'm a happy girl!
Thanks for trying to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: