Fog Lights with High Beams? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-31-2011, 03:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 1999 Outback Wagon 5spd MT, 88K miles
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Fog Lights with High Beams?

Greetings, I'm a jeep guy who has finally gotten around to buying a more practical DD - my new suby outback which I love. Anyway, the lights on it suck, but the fogs are decent. A jeep trick that many of us have modified was to bend over a tab in the fog lamp relay which would allow us to use our fog lights with either our low or high beam. I was wondering if anyone has done this with their outbacks?

Here is a quick link to a jeep write up: Jeep Wrangler TJ Fog Lights. Enable Their Use With High Beams let me know what you think!

Thanks!
clarky711 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2011, 08:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: '06 LOB, '03 Taco, '97 MX-5

No guarantee this will work with your vintage, and I have not yet tried it on ours:
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...2.html?t=10782
Old 02-06-2011, 12:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default I did it

I figured out how to do this on my Outback so that the fogs work on highbeam. I plan on hooking up the lowbeam function too but haven't done it yet. You need a couple of relays and splice into the wiring behind the headlights to provide power to the fogs when the highbeams trip the relay. Subaru uses a neg ground switch, so making this work is less than intuitive and it took some trial and error to figure it out. You'll need at least one relay that completes the power supply circuit when power is off to the realy controller (most after-market relays have this function built-in). I had to disconnect the factory wiring from the fogs and splice in the wiring to make the highbeam switch activate the relay to fire the fogs as highbeam aux lights. I can now reconnect the lowbeam wiring to the same harness though and the relays will act independently where the lights will stay on all the time if I have the factory switch in the on position, and the aux swith also in the on position. Or I can turn the aux switch off, the factory switch on and the fogs work as designed. Or I can turn the factory switch off and the aux switch on, and the fogs work only when highbeams are on.
starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2011, 10:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 1996 OBW 2.2l n/a AWD 5spd.

Here is link: Subaru Legacy International • View topic - DIY: Independant Fog Lights . That I have performed on my 1996 OBW. This will allow the fogs to be on during high beam
bjncj07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2011, 01:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2009 2.5i SE PZEV Newport Blue

Fogs on during high beam, destroys the function of fogs! The lights hit the moisture particles and are reflected back at you.
Fog lights should not reflect light back as they aim under as low as possible, and they will then not reflect back. If anything, good fogs can be used with no low beams!
ghawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2011, 01:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghawk View Post
Fogs on during high beam, destroys the function of fogs! The lights hit the moisture particles and are reflected back at you.
Fog lights should not reflect light back as they aim under as low as possible, and they will then not reflect back. If anything, good fogs can be used with no low beams!
LOL glad some else knows this! The other issue being there is no such thing as fog lights. There are low and narrow beam lights that help reduce light reflection the best stock lights for this tend to be the low beams. The rally lights under the bumper are more short range flood light type lighting that also if properly designed will light the sides of the road from the bumper out to 10ft or so forward to fill the gap between the low beams and the front of the car. I put the folks who want high beams and under bumper lights both on at the same time into the same group as those who would happily spend all their money on fancy tires and wheels on a used car which they have a loan on because they couldn't afford to buy the vehicle. But they can some how afford to toss perfectly good wheels and tires for more expensive tires and wheels. LOL

If you need more light due to say traveling in the outback while hunting animals at night or say racing on rally roads at night at high speed then it would be very wise to simply add proper rally lights on bars both top of the car or across the front. But in the US where 99.9% of your driving is on paved and well marked roads and at safe logical speeds the standard headlights with the basic short range flood lights under the bumper work just fine LOL.
subiesailor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2011, 01:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 2009 2.5i SE PZEV Newport Blue

THANKS, for verifying!
Laughing: it's the "sailor" in us! I think I commented to you once that I grew up in sailing environment on east coast! Had driver's license for half century! You have spelled out in more detail, with perfect common sense! Thanks!
ghawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2011, 01:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
THANKS, for verifying!
Laughing: it's the "sailor" in us! I think I commented to you once that I grew up in sailing environment on east coast! Had driver's license for half century! You have spelled out in more detail, with perfect common sense! Thanks!
What do you call a sailor with one of those head band LED lights on his head during an over night sailboat race?

A swimmer!

The first time he turns on that f-uk ing thing and blinds everyone else on the boat he's going overboard.

I'll never forget the first rookie we took on a big ocean race. 3am in the morning its blowing 40 we are flying the kite doing 20's surfing down the wave fronts I just took my 1 hour seat at the stick when Mr rookie comes up the companion way and turns his Fuking head lamp on so he can find the tether hook for his harness! ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME! Nothing like a blind driver bombing off the top of a 25foot swell in 40knots of wind and a blind kite trimmer asking if anyone can see the fuking kite all at the same time. The head lamp was graciously removed by the main trimmer and tossed overboard. LOL
Old 02-07-2011, 02:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car: '05 Outback 2.5i - 5-Spd Manual

Quote:
If you are in an actual driving situation with reduced visibility as a result of fog or even heavy rain/snow this is absolutely true. But, there can be benefit to doing so, it all depends upon the situation. Its not clear to me the OP's intended use. I can agree that running fog lamps with the high beams at road speed has no value, and actual impairs vision, even under clear conditions, IMHO (since the flood of light directly in front of the car reduces the driver's visual acuity for long distance viewing, which is presumably needed when the high beams are selected).

However, that being said, if the OP's interest if for low speed driving on unpaved or unimproved roads, using all lighting sources to 'flood' the area in front of the car with light has its benefits, but you don't have a need for long range visibility in this situation either.

What it comes down to is the driver knowing when its beneficial and when its not, and it seems perfectly acceptable to want to have the CHOICE of how to control the vehicle's lighting, instead of it being dictated by some design choice, or nanny laws seeking to protect us from ourselves..

Quote:
If anything, good fogs can be used with no low beams!
Which supports my point above, because the original factory configuration will not allow this either..

'04 KYB's all around | SpecB LCA Bushings | Whiteline Rear Camber Bushings | LGT RSB | Hawk HPS Pads | Nokian WR G2 SUV's | '08 HU | Subaru Sub

Save The Manuals!
'05 Outback 2.5i is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2011, 02:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

The nanny stuff is there for good reason. How many cars did you see this morning or last night with nothing but dinky running lights turned on? The stupidity of the general driving public is so massive you'd think every American took the short bus to school.

LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: