Replacing a headlight in an '06 Outback - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2006 Subaru Outback
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Replacing a headlight in an '06 Outback

I've never had a problem replacing the headlight bulbs in my old Subarus. When I noticed the other day that my passenger side light was burned out in my '06 Outback I bought a replacement, assuming it would be as easy as it has been in the past. As soon as I opened the hood I realized that I was wrong. It looks like I have to remove some parts, but I'm not sure how. I am in no way a mechanic, but sure would like to be able to replace my own headlight. Could someone here possibly give me some direction? I would greatly appreciate it

Jen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 01:59 PM

Car: 2008 L.L. Beanie Gold Harvest
As best as i remember. There is a giant plastic cap on there. Twist it and it comes off. Once it is off there is a spring like clip that pushes against the back of the bulb. Push it towards the bulb and then lift up on it or push down towards the ground on it i think and then it should release tension. After that its just a matter of unplugging the old bulb and then plug in the new one and reverse order the removal. If this appears to be wrong post back if nobody else corrects me and i'll walk out to the car to visually get it right.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2006 Subaru Outback

The problem I'm having is that I'm not sure how to get to the plastic cap. Do I access it from below, or remove parts to get to it? I've tried to attach a photo of the engine that I found online, but not sure if it will work. Thanks!

http://image.motortrend.com/f/156584...ack+engine.jpg
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 07:13 PM

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
From the top.

The procedure is described in the Owners Manual on page 11-52 or thereabouts ("Maintenance and service" chapter).

On the RHS, the air intake duct has to be removed -- two plastic clips and the duct lifts out giving access to the back of the headlight housing.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 11:51 PM

Car: 2008 L.L. Beanie Gold Harvest
AS plain OM said there are just two clips. They have a screw driver head but arent threaded. Give them a quarter turn or so and the center lifts up. You should be able to pull the clip/plastic screw looking piece out at that point. Once both clips are out you should be able to lift the front of the air duct up a little and then pull it towards the front of the car. Getting it back in does take a little work but it isnt too bad.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 05:38 PM

Car: 2005 xt limited gone but not forgotten
Once you get the black plastic air intake off, be very careful with the "paper clip" type retainer for the bulb socket. Press it down with your thumb and move it left or right to clear the small plastic hook. Simple task, but easy to break the small plastic hook, then the job is much longer trying to fabricate a way to attach the pressure needed to keep the bulb socket in the headlamp assembly.
(Don't ask me how I know this, please....duh.)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 02:26 PM

Car: '03 Outback H6-3.0 Black Granite Pearl, base model with cold weather package and cloth seats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by serotta View Post
Once you get the black plastic air intake off, be very careful with the "paper clip" type retainer for the bulb socket. Press it down with your thumb and move it left or right to clear the small plastic hook. Simple task, but easy to break the small plastic hook, then the job is much longer trying to fabricate a way to attach the pressure needed to keep the bulb socket in the headlamp assembly.
Amen to that..................
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 11:46 PM

Quote:
That's the time i quit doing it by myself and just visit my dealer because i break plastic hooks. lol
by the way guys i have question anyone of you tried installing
black headlight covers ? this is for WRX but i wonder if this is legal.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 10:23 PM

Car: 2006 Wagon Automatic
Question Headlight Question

Quote:
Ha! I broke my clip the day after I bought the car. I used duct tape to keep the headlight in place, however I'm sure by now it's mostly melted off. Does anyone have any suggestions on keeping the headlight in place?

How hard is it to replace the entire headlight assembly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: