Bluetooth / Phone Connection Issues (2011 Outback Limited / HTC Hero) - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-27-2011, 10:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Bluetooth / Phone Connection Issues (2011 Outback Limited / HTC Hero)

Hi all,
Wondering if anyone is experiencing similar issues and/or has solved. I currently have an open incident ticket with Subaru pending.

Issue
--------
We get "dead air" during some of our outgoing & ingoing calls via Bluetooth capability. Even though calls are connected on both sides, no audio can be heard on either side of the call.

We're trying to figure out the condition and here are various steps we have done so far.

Specs
---------------------------
Subaru Outback Limited, No NAV
HTC Hero (Android Phone)

Background
----------------------------------
-The condition can be resolved my manually disconnecting the BT connection via the cell phone and then re-connecting via "Select Phone" option via Subaru. It may take several times to get the phone re-connected and successfully get the audio to work. Once we resolve, the phone will work for a period of time 100% correctly including the audio portion of the call. We can call out and call into the car several times in a row without experiencing the audio issue.
-At some point, the audio issue occurs and it never resolves itself without manual intervention. We're having difficulty identifying the condition that causes the "audio dead air".

Trying to identify the issue/configuration
---------------------------------------------
-We've successfully paired both of our phones. Interaction seems fine from car and phone perspective
-Both phones are HTC Hero Android phones <1 year old on latest build
-For my wife's phone, we used both her actual phone and the car's manual dial out mode to make a call. In both cases, all commands and phone steps went fine right up until you would expect to hear "ringing" during the dial out. Once the dial out portion happened you could tell the audio went dead in the car. Even when the call successfully connected to the target phone number and even if someone answered.... audio was dead in the car and for the receiving party (both directions).
-I've tried pairing my same model phone and the same condition occurred
-Cell phone reception is at full bars and shows connected via Bluetooth (confirmed via cell phone)
-Car/Cell phone actually makes the call to any number we specify successfully. The dialing process occurs, the call makes it to the other LAN line or cell device.
-The issue is once the dialing process starts, the car audio mutes out. You can't hear the dialing, ringing, or person talking on the other side of the call. But the call does take place and does connect to the "other person". The "other person" can't hear any audio.
-We've corrected the issue without the car moving via manual steps. It doesn't appear that we're in some kind of cell reception dead spot.
danzelc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2011, 01:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

do you have a headset plugged into your phone when attempting this? or do you have other bluetooth enabled devices in the car with you?
fng2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2011, 11:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Bluetooth issues

No other devices or headsets in the car that are bluetooth enabled.

Here is an update as of 5/10/2011. Car is at dealership as we speak for third radio replacement. They are going to do the same troubleshooting (radio replacement, speaker wire testing). I'm allowing it because the current radio replacement has an issue with a malfunctioning pre-set button (unrelated to BT).

Definitely frustrated as a first time new car buyer, first time Subaru owner.

------------------
-Outback 2011 Limited w/ Bluetooth (no nav)
-Intermittent issues with Bluetooth audio when calls are made or received. Its the aduio portion of the actual phone call
-Both of our phones (HTC Hero) and dealer phone (iphone) confirmed that in some calls, the audio portion of the actual phone call will "mute out" or have "dead air". The calls will actually successfully complete to both parties, but both side of the call cannot hear anything - its dead air or totally muted
-The phones and BT will somehow start working again on their own or a manual re-connect to BT will help. Can't figure out the condition that causes it to fail. We've never gotten the audio to work more than a few days in a row before issues occur
-Subaru National customer service and tech lines have no open cases similar to ours
-Replacement of Radio Head Unit and testing of speaker wires did not resolve the issue
-We're now getting our third radio unit without a clear troublshooting plan from Subaru
-We've never had audio issues with Voice command, CD, Media, or satelite. Its only been with BT audio of actual phone call. And its for the entire length of the call, not portions
danzelc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2011, 10:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

Danzelc,

We have the same problem with our 2010 Outback and HTC Hero. Every symptom you described is exactly the same.

In the end, did anything solve the connection problem?
kahlig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 06:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Unhappy Bluetooth stopped working - second time

I have a slightly different, but very curious problem. 2011 Subaru Outback Premium, Harman Kardon audio with Bluetooth, HTC Incredible 2 phone.

At first, it paired and functioned properly. After a few months, the system would not function with the phone, even though both the phone and HK system noted they were paired. Sometimes shutting down the car and restarting would get it to work. Finally it completely failed. Subaru replaced the radio, and all seemed to work. About 8 months later, the system has again failed. The phone and HK show pairing. I tried deleting the connection, and re-pairing, to no avail. The phone works with other BT devices. My car's BT does work with the Subaru technician's phone. My phone works on other Subarus!

Additionally, the Subaru dealer claims they changed the radio on the previous service, and the BT worked for 8 months. However, after the radio exchange, my preset stations were still there, the satellite connection was still active, and my phone contacts still there - IN MY VOICE. How is this possible if they changed the radio? Is this data stored in some place other than the radio? It's as if there is some software code that is rejecting my particular phone!?!?

The Subaru dealer cannot figure it out, and I am to be contacted by their factory service expert.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
RickR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default Bluetooth stopped working - second time - additional information

As I have stated in the previous note, the phone and car BT do pair and show connection. The phone will receive calls through the BT system. But, it will not place calls. Using either Dial by Name or Dial by Number, the system says "Error, check your phone" and will not continue.
The same phone works perfectly in other Subarus.
RickR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 01:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Amy

Default Any solutions?

Hi,

I'm having the same exact problem with a 2011 Outback and an iphone 4. Did you find any solutions?

Thanks,

Amy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahlig View Post
Danzelc,

We have the same problem with our 2010 Outback and HTC Hero. Every symptom you described is exactly the same.

In the end, did anything solve the connection problem?
Amy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: