15amp Meters/SRS lamp Blows - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 11:56 PM

Car: 2000 Outback Ltd.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I had this done at the dealership since it was too big a job for me. From what I can remember, they did remove the entire dash as well as the center console. Not sure about the steering wheel though. That blue thing is the connector that connects to the fuse box. Here's a pic of the replacement harness. It has white plastic tape around the area where it touches the metal bracket. It's still touching but it's not sitting on the metal edge and sawing back and forth. Sorry for the bad pic but it's dark and raining outside right now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	harness3.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	19383  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 08:16 AM

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
That cable is rather close to the sharp edge of the metal brace.

If speedracer2011's is the same, perhaps there's enough room through the opening to pull the connector out of the fuse panel and patch the wires one-by-one. The earlier photo of the burned harness suggests that the overheating was localized, that each wire is a different color, and that there was still some wire at the end to connect to, where necessary using some additional wire to bridge the distance.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2000 Subaru Outback 'Limited' , 4-cylinder 2.5 liter, Automatic Trans, 4 door coupe
Hello All. After reading all the posts and looking at BoarderM's pictures I headed back into the garage to do battle. After an hour of being a pretzel and not being able to see much up in there I called it quits for the night. Today I swallowed my pride and went to the dealership. The tech started out using the wiring diagrams in the service manual but they didn't help much as everything he touched worked except for the gauges, odometer, gear selector light and turn signals. NOTE 1: the 2000 Outback (sedan model(sas?) uses the 2001 wiring diagram NOT the 2000 diagram - who would have known?? Seeing this was getting him nowhere he then removed the gray under dash trim piece = 2 plastic pins on the lhs and one screw underneath. He then removed the "h" metal piece now seen directly in the middle that has an electronics module on it. He then removed the trim piece with the cruise control, fog lamp and other switch. Now the area was opened up so he could get a good look in there. Using the picture provided by BoarderM follow the BLUE plug from the underdash fuse panel up to the metal bracket/support piece shown in his pics that is the area where 2 of my wires were shorted and burned. In order to prevent this from happening again follow the bundle up a little further and it is held in place by a plastic 'tyrap'. The tech cut the tyrap and pulled a little on the bundle to get some slack. NOW the wires are NO WHERE NEAR that metal bracket. He butt spliced two wires back together, wrapped with electrical tape and put everything back together and we were done. MORAL of story, IF you smell or see any smoke coming from under the dash head right to that area and check that wire bundle. Look very closely especially for an arc/carbon residue on the metal and then follow to the wires. He said that area is where the majority of their shorting problems are/did happen. NICE TO KNOW.. ANYWAY, THANK YOU to all who responded and hope my final msg on this topic will help anyone else out. Til Later..
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 07:18 PM

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
6-Star kudos to BoarderM for recognizing the problem (from sad experience) and posting the invaluable pictures.

Looks as if this is something that should be checked by everyone, not only MY2000 owners. I just had a look at that same area on my 07 -- up and to the right of the in-cabin fuse and relay panel. It's not quite the same layout, and I didn't see the blue connector on the front side, but there's a wiring harness passing against a similar brace. In my case, the harness is tape wrapped, and there is a bit of slack so it's not hard against the brace, but it sure looks as if there's a possibility of long-term wear through to the wires. Here's two pics I managed to get.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fuse box area showing cable.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	19392   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cabling against bracket.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	19393  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 11:13 PM

Car: 2000 Outback Ltd.
Glad to hear everything worked out for you. Hope it didn't cost too much. Mine was somewhere around $1300 and that was about 7 years ago. My harness was alot farther gone and I had to have all my electronics tested. The damage actually extended to the back of my coin tray. It looks lilke the bundle could get moved back and forth by the opening of the coin tray.
I was a little paranoid so I put a piece of split loom over the bundle. Couldn't hurt.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2011-04-05_16-40-02_60.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	488.4 KB
ID:	19415   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-04-05_16-36-21_592.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	674.6 KB
ID:	19416  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: