How do I re-enable seatbelt chime? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2003 Outback LL Bean w/163K Miles
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How do I re-enable seatbelt chime?

I know, I'm crazy, everyone wants to disable and that's great for you, but...

My story is that my wife has an 07 OBW and she uses the seatbelt because the chime tells her to, otherwise never a seatbelt.
My 03 OBW has the startup chime and dash light but after that, nothing and when we're in my car she doesn't use on the seatbelt.

Since I want her to be around for a long time, I'd prefer she used the seatbelt, so how do I turn the chime back on?
I've tried the click/unclick routine in case it was a toggle but it didn't work. Just after purchase the battery died and for a day and a half there was no battery, so whatever resets w/o a battery should have reset.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

I was hoping for someone to chime in on getting this done....
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 03:14 PM

Car: 2001 OB, 2004 OB
Disable Seatbelt Chime

try this out
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 03:51 PM

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Do you get the passenger seat belt warning light periodically flashing when the passenger doesn't do up the belt? It should be, along with the periodic chime.

I'm sort of wondering if someone might have done a wiring "mod" along the lines referred to in link gershell provided.

Edit: I might have misunderstood -- is it the 07 or the 03 that you want to restore the chime? My question about the warning lights relates to the 07, but might not be applicable to the 03. In the 07, the seat belt light should flash and the chimes sound initially, and then periodically thereafter when the car is moving (if either front passenger does not have the belt attached). A dealer can disable the latter (e.g. for when the car is in for service), but this is only temporary -- it's restored when the key is turned to Off and then On again. I don't know if the 03 is supposed to chime after the initial few seconds.

Last edited by plain OM; 04-11-2011 at 05:42 PM. Reason: clarification
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 03:01 PM

Car: 08 Outback 2.5 XT - 5MT
try pulling the battery again? maybe try starting the car w/o battery connected, to drain all capacitators in the electrical system?

like you said, it should have done it when the battery died the first time... but who knows why it didn't?

failing that... 4-7 year olds in the back seat are very helpful to reminding the parent that it's time to put on the seatbelt. (of course, that may not be an option for you)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

I did try the disable chime option in case it was a toggle, off than off and vice versa, no luck.

I only see the seatbelt light and hear thr chime on initial startup and don't sse the light or hear the chime until the next startup.

I was wondering about someone disabling at the seat or seatbelt but have not had the time to dig under the seats.

This is in reference to the 03. On the 07 the light and chime work and I won't tell her how easy it is to disable the chime in her car! Lol!

On pulling the battery, I did turn the key while the battery was out but it didn't make a difference.

And her 'kids' are 30 and 32, so they won't be reminding her! Lol!

I guess the next thing to try is did under the seats or check the wires to the seatbelts and see if there is anything amiss.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 06:21 PM

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Not to doubt, but to avoid a lot of work for nothing, I'm wondering if the light and chime on the 03 are supposed to light/chime after the initial period. Is there anything in the Owners Manual (as there is in the 07 that describes what the lights and chime will do)?

I looked through the linked thread but virtually all of the posts referring to the "technique" are MY2005+ except for one (Disable Seatbelt Chime) and in that case, a 2000, the light and chime only work initially.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

@plain OM, I took for granted that it was across the years but I believe that you are correct. I just went looking and it is all newer subies.

So I guess I can't nudge my wife into using the seatbelt! Lol!

Thanks!!!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 02:11 AM

Car: 1998 subaru outback - some dents and scratches, no rust. Good car to build on
rig it up yourself

1x12voltchime
1xrelay

tap into seat belt trigger wire --->wire relay ------> chime!

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback

Engine Rebuilt!! Lets Go!!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

If I was a couple years younger I might consider wiring it up! Lol!

Thanks again for the asisstance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: