Subaru Outback Forums banner

STARLINK worth the cost?

38K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  DDN 
#1 ·
I probably should know better when I purchased my 2016 Outback last week, and signed up for the "enhanced" STARLINK version @$249 for two years, as most might know the first year is free, so its bascaslly $125 for each additional year.

I'm thinking I should try it for the year first.

Anyone canceled their additional service?

Hoping it willing not be an issue for cancellation. Just charged on my debit card so should be able to cancel.

I guess the sales guy gets a cut like every dealership's add on's.

LOL No did not get fabric or paint protector packages. WAY TOO MUCH ! and lots of tiny print on your agreement.....��

#2 ·
I just picked up my 2016 yesterday. I did not sign up for the Starlink. The reason I did not is because I can stream music and just about everything else from my cell phone.

The other reason I did not up for the Starlink is because I have discovered that there are many areas in Wyoming where there is just no reception. I drive about 35k miles per year and I have become accustomed to using satellite radio as it receives a signal everywhere. My wife is VERY good at getting that service for about $5/month.

So, I got the basic 2.5i and installed my own Garmin GPS and satellite radio into the center console.AM radio supplies me with talk radio.

#3 ·
I guess the sales guy gets a cut like every dealership's add on's.

LOL No did not get fabric or paint protector packages. WAY TOO MUCH ! and lots of tiny print on your agreement.....��
Yes, they tried to sell me the extended warranty, but what good is that when your car gets destroyed before the 3 year warranty runs out? Try and get that refunded after the fact.

#4 ·
I bought the upgraded starlink package for 2 years (I have a 2 year lease). It gives you two thing that I like: remote services (I use it to locate the car a lot as well as remote flash the lights/honk the horn). Also it gives you the stolen recovery service where you give starlink the police report number and they take it from there. Is it worth it, probably not, but I do like the remote services. Just wish I could remote start the car through it. It seems like a simple upgrade which is crazy that it cannot since the factory fob version has horrid range.

#5 ·
I did request a $249 refund from SubaruStarlink yesterday. The rep was professional and did not try to disswade me other than as expected pointing out the differences between the two programs.

I will try the STARLINK basic free service for a year to see if I even use it over SUBARU's Roadside assistance which I suspect SL will eventully take the place of.

#6 ·
I bought a brand new Crosstrek in march 2017, and didn't sign up for Starlink. Today, I just happened to go over my credit card transactions and see a recurring charge to Subaru Starlink Plus for additional $49 a year in July without my authorization. I called them to complain. They apologized and since I was out of the 30 days period, they prorated back $29, they also advised that I take it up to my dealership! I have to wait for the money to refund back to my CC and call them back to have them remove my CC on file so they won't automatically renew it next year! This is insane!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.