Headlights not working - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 11:44 AM

Car: '06 Outback
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
For what it's worth, I recently experienced a very similar issue with my headlights (2006 Outback wagon). Both right and left sides, high beams, low beams, and fog lights - all not working. No dashboard indicator for high beams (blue light) or for fog lights (green light) but the dashboard indicator for low beams was functional (responded appropriately to turning low beams on and off).

I spend a lot of time snooping around here looking for answers, much appreciating all the helpful folks who spend a lot of time answering questions. I changed the headlight relays, checked and changed all the headlight fuses, and changed the DRL module, all to no avail.

Finally took it in to the shop, and low and behold, they found exactly what was described in this thread - broken wires in the rear gate. They were kind enough to repair the wires (rather than replacing the entire harness) and now, all 6 front lights are working properly.

The guys at the shop said it's not an uncommon problem here (Calgary). They figured that opening and closing the rear hatch at -30 deg Celsius was rough on the harness...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 12:41 PM

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Thanks for the added information.

Yes, the broken wires in the flexible boot to the rear gate has turned out to be fairly common, even in warm climate areas.

You mentioned that the low beam indicator would come on when the headlight switch was set for the low beams to be on. Did the DRL indicator work when the switch was at Off? (That's the orange light that is on whenever the car is in gear but the main headlight/parking light switch is at Off.)

What I don't yet understand, and would like to figure out, is the functions in the rear gate interact to prevent the headlights from operating.

If there are broken wires to the rear gate, I wish we could know which ones. That might help focus the areas that could be looked at to find out why there's that interaction. Ah well . . . . Perhaps next time.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 01:18 PM

Car: '06 Outback
Sorry I'm not going to be much help here...

Not sure about the DRL indicator function - didn't know it existed, so didn't look for it.

Also not sure which wires were broken... sorry.

Thanks again everyone!
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 08:13 PM

I have a 2006 Outback with the passenger low beam headlight out as well as the highbeam. Replaced both bulbs, checked the fuses, swapped with the drivers side lights. Nothing has worked. Have not tried the relay or wiring harness. Trying to keep costs down. Any suggestions?
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 09:30 PM

Car: 2002 Outback
I have a strange headlight problem on my '02 Outback 4 cyl but I figured I'd keep it in this thread. I noticed my driver's side low beam was out. Replaced the bulb with a new one; no light. Checked the fuses (O.K.), swapped the left and right relays; problem stays on driver's side. So I figure it has to be either a wiring problem or a daytime running lights module issue. Here's what I can't figure out: my 2002 factory shop manual for Legacy/Outback has a wiring diagram for the 2-light system and it shows 3 terminals at the bulbs, but the bulbs on the car (and the bulb connector) only have 2 terminals. Furthermore, the bulb base is plastic and it sure doesn't look like any path to ground. So I'm puzzled how the high/low beam switching is done and can only guess the DRL module has something to do with it. Another inconsistency is the car has separate LH and RH headlight relays but the wiring diagram only shows a single relay for both lights. I also tried disconnecting the light at the connector next to the light housing (which does have 3 conductors). I found when measuring relative to the middle terminal, 12 volts on one (end) terminal with low beams on and 12 volts on the other with high beams. What is going on here??
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 10:07 AM

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
my 2002 factory shop manual for Legacy/Outback has a wiring diagram for the 2-light system and it shows 3 terminals at the bulbs, but the bulbs on the car (and the bulb connector) only have 2 terminals.
There's two headlight assembly versions; one that uses separate low and high beam bulbs, and one in which the low and high beams are within the same bulb.

In the wiring diagram (which shows both versions if it's the same as the one I have -- see attached), connectors F7 and F23 are three pin, just as you noted. But there's wiring going from those connectors to the headlight assembly and the bulbs. This short harness isn't clearly shown in the diagrams. In the two light system the short harness has three wires and this goes to a single three wire connector at the bulb. In the four light system, the short harness splits into two, and two wires go to each of the two bulbs in that headlight assembly, so in this case the connector at the bulbs themselves have only two terminals.

Nevertheless, the way the headlights are powered and switched is the same in both cases. (It's only the wiring between F7 and F23 and the bulb sockets that is different.)

Quote:
Furthermore, the bulb base is plastic and it sure doesn't look like any path to ground.
Subaru headlight systems switch the low, or ground, side. In the four bulb system (each bulb socket itself has two wires), one wire is the 12 V coming from the corresponding headlight relay. The other wire goes to the switching control, not directly to ground.

In the attached diagram, in the 4 bulb system, pin 3 of F7 or F23 is the 12 V supply. Pin 2 is the low beam control -- this goes to the daytime running light control module connector B242 terminal 5, which grounds the line through a resistance in the module so the low beam light is on at reduced intensity (DRLs). When the headlight "lighting switch" is turned to the second position for the low beams, the daytime running light relay is energized, and this grounds the low side of the low beam bulbs for full brilliance. Similarly, pin 1 of F7 and F23 go to the daytime running light control module which will turn on the high beam bulbs when the "dimmer and passing switch" is set for high beams.

Quote:
Another inconsistency is the car has separate LH and RH headlight relays but the wiring diagram only shows a single relay for both lights.
My 2002 wiring diagram show separate relays. On the attached Headlight System page the high side of the left and right headlights (pin 3 of F23 and F7 in the 4 bulb system) go to MB-10 and MB-11 respectively. Tracing these connections at the Power Supply Routing pages, they connect to separate left and right headlight relays.

Quote:
I also tried disconnecting the light at the connector next to the light housing (which does have 3 conductors). I found when measuring relative to the middle terminal, 12 volts on one (end) terminal with low beams on and 12 volts on the other with high beams. What is going on here??
With F7 and F23 disconnected, you should have 12 V at the connectors' terminal 3 (measured to a good ground) when the Ignition switch is at ON even with the headlight switch off. If the 12 V is there, then the headlight relays and power to the bulbs are okay.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Headlight System.pdf (132.9 KB, 126 views)
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 07:34 PM

plain OM. thank you very much for the detailed response. I do have the two light system and the same wiring diagram you posted. I tried to follow where the LB-9 connector goes but wasn't able to (do remember what page?). I'm still confused about the two prongs on the bulb and no connection on the bulb base. I still don't get how two different circuits in the bulb are operated with only two connections. One connection is common to each (be it ground or positive) but how is switching accomplished between hi/lo on the one remaining connection? Or is it simply different voltage levels to achieve hi/lo with the combination bulb? I'm going to check harness continuity between the two headlight connectors and if that checks out O.K., I guess I'll have to pony up for a DRL module.
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 07:39 PM

Ah yes, I just looked at the power supply page and see the two relays. Since the hi-beam works on the LH light I would assume power from the LH relay is getting there (is there some other way it could get power?)
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 07:52 PM

My 2010 did this about 5000 miles into its life with us. 5 minute check the dealer found a bad relay. Took them 15 minutes to replace it.

My 2001 never had any electrical issues at all kinda wish I had kept it.
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 10:23 PM

I swapped the left and right relays and the problem stayed on the LH side so I'm pretty sure that isn't the problem. I wish it were just a relay...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: