Installing a after market Keyless entry module - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-26-2011, 11:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2000 (3rd Gen) Outback wagon 2.5 manual Dual Range
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Installing a after market Keyless entry module

I am about to install an after market Keyless entry system in my 2000 Outback. It does have factory Keyless entry system (doesn't work) which I have located the module and started splicing into the wiring.

From the Subaru manual the schematic shows it is connector B176 which has 18 poles (See pics).

So I figured the basic connections required for the new module including Power, Ground, signal wires to the horn and indicators and lock and unlock. But I haven't been able to locate any information about the trigger type it in my Subaru Manual (maybe I have missed something).

The new module supports either but is wired differently depending on what type is in the vehicle. Does anyone know if it my 2000 outback is a Positive Trigger or Negative Trigger system?
Attached Thumbnails
Installing a after market Keyless entry module-schematic1.jpg   Installing a after market Keyless entry module-schematic2.jpg   Installing a after market Keyless entry module-schematic3.jpg   Installing a after market Keyless entry module-schematic4.jpg  
spoonfork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2011, 11:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2010 OBW limited 2.5 CVT

In the firs page is your clue. Pin 5 "power supply-battery voltage is constantly detected".
Pin 14 "ground- 0 volts constantly detected". It is ground switched. Also, if you trace the grounds in the diagrams, they all end at open circuts (switches).
Old 11-29-2011, 05:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagondude View Post
In the firs page is your clue. Pin 5 "power supply-battery voltage is constantly detected".
Pin 14 "ground- 0 volts constantly detected". It is ground switched. Also, if you trace the grounds in the diagrams, they all end at open circuts (switches).
OK I see now! Many Thanks.

I wired it up but am having problems getting it to drive the existing factory actuators.
I suspect that I have not completely wired up the central locking part correctly. In particular the Master actuator which has 4 wires (as apposed to the slave actuators which have only 2).

The Unit does blink the indicators and I do here the relays so I think the modules power and blinker wires are connected correctly.

I've attached the after Market keyless entry module diagram.
Wonder if you or anyone else could direct/correct me with wiring.

Here's what I have wired up so far,

* Pin 18 on the Subaru module to the aftermarket units White wire.
* Pin 17 on the Subaru module to the aftermarket units Black/White wire.
* Pin 14 on the Subaru module to the aftermarket units Black/Yellow wire.
* Pin 13 on the Subaru module to the aftermarket units Blue wire.
* Pin 12 on the Subaru module to the aftermarket units Blue wire.
* Pin 6 (Ground) on the Subaru module to the aftermarket units Yellow and Black/Yellow.
* Pin 5 (Power) on the Subaru module to the aftermarket units Red wire.

See attached PDF and updated pics

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Installing a after market Keyless entry module-schematic-wiring.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf keyless_entry.pdf (337.3 KB, 206 views)

Last edited by spoonfork; 11-29-2011 at 06:14 AM. Reason: correction
Old 12-03-2011, 06:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

OK I figured it out.

The vendor who sold me the keyless entry kit said my Subaru was "Negatively triggered" and to use the Negatively triggered wiring shown on the schematic supplied with the kit.

I tried it and the actuators would Not lock or unlock. The unit was getting power and the indicator lights flashed correctly so it had to be something with the actuator wiring.

I then approached the vendor for after sales support and was told to log back onto their website and purchase some documentation from them.
When I checked the description of this documentation, it said it contained information on installing Stereos, Cruise Control and Alarms for many popular make cars. I thought to myself why are they asking me to pay for this when it has nothing to do with keyless entry system, I bought off them. I tried asking again and 5 times I was just directed to go buy it as it "contained the answer".

When I kept questioning them why? I was basically blocked from their website. After sending them another email I suddenly had access again!
It got to the point where he started calling me stingy for not buying it.

I sat down and reviewed the schematics again after a long hard look and trying to picture the relay operation in my head it suddenly dawned on me that the Vendor gave me the bum steer. I actually had to use the "Positive and Negative trigger" wiring.
Further more their documentation was wrong!
The lock and unlock shown on the piece of paper that was shipped with the unit was incorrect. It was the other way around.
I only noticed this after I found the PDF version on their website and compared the 2 (See attached pictures).

I payed $45 dollars for this unit from an Australian Vendor.
Keyless Entry
I bought it for one reason. They were supposed to have good after sales technical support.

The exact the same unit is sold on ebay for only $8.95 from a Hong Kong Vendor.
Set Kit Universal Car Remote Central Entry Lock Locking | eBay
The module casing and remote are identical. Only difference is the symbols on the buttons are different and the cheaper unit actually has proper colored cables instead of just cheap one color black cables with tags on them.

It seems he gets his stuff from china and then just re badges it as his own. I don't have a problem with that!
But I payed 5 times the price of a unit which was obviously coming from the same factory in China. After giving me the wrong information they even had the nerve to try and sell me more crap which would have meant I paid more than 6 times the price of an identical product. To top things off they had the nerve to call me stingy.

I definitely won't buy from this guy again and would not recommend him to anyone. Especially when you can buy the same thing for 5 times cheaper!
Attached Thumbnails
Installing a after market Keyless entry module-original-paper-schematic-page-1-2.jpg   Installing a after market Keyless entry module-original-paper-schematic-page-2-2.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf keyless_entry.pdf (337.3 KB, 209 views)

Last edited by spoonfork; 12-03-2011 at 06:47 AM. Reason: addition
Old 01-31-2012, 06:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

G'Day Spoonfork, Ive got the exact problem you have and have followed the steps you have given. Thankyou for that. I am struggling however with locating the module in my car, I have a 2000 liberty so assume it would be in the same area. Could you please tell me where to find it?
ShaneO_27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2012, 09:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hi ShaneO 27, Sorry I haven't been on these Forums for a log time now.
The module is on the side where your Glove box is (Assuming you are in Australia).
You need to remove the glovebox to get access to it. I left mine wired in and just clipped the outputs otherwise when you activate the new
system it will continously blow fuses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: