Is monitor for bu camera in the Homelink mirror? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-15-2012, 11:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Subaru Outback Premium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Is monitor for bu camera in the Homelink mirror?

I see backup cameras for $30 on E-Bay and they look easy to install. Is the monitor for the camera in the Homelink mirror/garage door opener/compass that came as an extra on my 2012 Premium 2.4 Outback? Are the cables to connect it already installed above my my backup lights? Or...is it too good to be true?
Stox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2012, 07:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2000 Outback 2.5L H4 (EJ25)

Way too good to be true. You need a monitor. The rear-view mirror is not a monitor. In the future perhaps, but not yet. If you have a built-in navigation system, then you might be able to connect a camera to it. If not, you'd have to get a monitor yourself and install it somewhere or upgrade to a more capable receiver.
xvimbi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 10:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Outback Premium (Ruby Red) w/ AWP, 19mm RSB, more mods to come...
Send a message via AIM to snoslicer8

Quote:
Originally Posted by xvimbi View Post
Way too good to be true. You need a monitor. The rear-view mirror is not a monitor. In the future perhaps, but not yet. If you have a built-in navigation system, then you might be able to connect a camera to it. If not, you'd have to get a monitor yourself and install it somewhere or upgrade to a more capable receiver.
Partially incorrect. The Homelink mirror that comes with the OB that have backup cameras (part of the sunroof package) have the monitor built into the mirror. It activates and shows through the mirror while in reverse.
snoslicer8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 10:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2000 Outback 2.5L H4 (EJ25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoslicer8 View Post
Partially incorrect. The Homelink mirror that comes with the OB that have backup cameras (part of the sunroof package) have the monitor built into the mirror. It activates and shows through the mirror while in reverse.
You are right. I simply assumed that the OP doesn't have the correct mirror, since he doesn't have a backup camera.
xvimbi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 10:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Subaru Outback Premium
Default Thanks guys

You have related to me what I did not want to hear, but figured that the camera was not built into the mirror. It is a the "full" Homelink mirror with the garage door openers, dimmer & compass. I did not know if the simply manufactured ONE and if you ordered a backup camera, they used the existing mirror with a standard moniter built into it. I did NOT order the sunroof as I never use them (no sun ont this balding head!). All this being said, do you think the wiring for the camera is "standard" and built into the hatch?
Stox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 04:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoslicer8 View Post
I have a 2011 OB with Homelink mirror but no camera. Do you know if this mirror has the display option as well or are there two separate Homelink Mirrors?
pjbgolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 05:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

Lots of wrong info here

The home link mirrors which have back up camera systems do have the screen physically in the review mirror with the camera mounted in the rear hatch not on the mirror.

2011 cars were offered with rear back up camera systems integrated into the rear view mirrors if you purchased the option this enabled subaru to offer backup cameras in cars that did not have the NAV system.

The 2010 OB's only came with back up cameras if they had the NAV system.

The homelink mirrors with the back up camera systems cost around $250 NO WAY is a $30 Mirror even a standard Homelink Mirror system given those are not cheap and farm ore than $30. I wouldn't touch any $30 mirror deal claiming to be Homelink unless I had $30 to gamble with the odds stacked against me.
subiesailor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 05:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by subiesailor View Post
Lots of wrong info here

The home link mirrors which have back up camera systems do have the screen physically in the review mirror with the camera mounted in the rear hatch not on the mirror.

2011 cars were offered with rear back up camera systems integrated into the rear view mirrors if you purchased the option this enabled subaru to offer backup cameras in cars that did not have the NAV system.

The 2010 OB's only came with back up cameras if they had the NAV system.

The homelink mirrors with the back up camera systems cost around $250 NO WAY is a $30 Mirror even a standard Homelink Mirror system given those are not cheap and farm ore than $30. I wouldn't touch any $30 mirror deal claiming to be Homelink unless I had $30 to gamble with the odds stacked against me.

In 2011 (assuming you didn't have NAV) the only way to get a factory installed camera was to order the sunroof package w/camera. I did not do this, I only ordered the Homelink Mirror with Compass. I now want to add a camera and I'm trying to determine if the Factory installed Homelink mirror I have also contains the camera monitor or do I have to buy another Homelink Mirror as well. Your answer appears to say my mirror will not work however when I asked the Subaru dealer for the part number for the Homelink Mirror with the display they say they only have one Homelink Mirror so I am confused. Is there one or two Homelink mirrors?
Old 02-29-2012, 05:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbgolf View Post
In 2011 (assuming you didn't have NAV) the only way to get a factory installed camera was to order the sunroof package w/camera. I did not do this, I only ordered the Homelink Mirror with Compass. I now want to add a camera and I'm trying to determine if the Factory installed Homelink mirror I have also contains the camera monitor or do I have to buy another Homelink Mirror as well. Your answer appears to say my mirror will not work however when I asked the Subaru dealer for the part number for the Homelink Mirror with the display they say they only have one Homelink Mirror so I am confused. Is there one or two Homelink mirrors?
No your non back up camera homelink mirror does not have a screen in it.

Can you purchase one and install one? Yes the only thing I'm not clear about is if the camera is hard wired to the mirror ie display or if these are wireless - most back up systems today are wireless signal sent to the display from the camera which is powered by the back up lights.

If you have a powered Home link mirror then you have power for the mirror and the video display. If the system is wireless meaning video signal vs video wire then its safe to assume that you could replace the non display home link mirror with a back up screen home link mirror - and install the camera and your up and running.

If the system is wired meaning video wire needed from rear hatch to review mirror then you may be out of luck unless you pull the head liner and run the wire.
subiesailor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 05:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by subiesailor View Post
No your non back up camera homelink mirror does not have a screen in it.

Can you purchase one and install one? Yes the only thing I'm not clear about is if the camera is hard wired to the mirror ie display or if these are wireless - most back up systems today are wireless signal sent to the display from the camera which is powered by the back up lights.

If you have a powered Home link mirror then you have power for the mirror and the video display. If the system is wireless meaning video signal vs video wire then its safe to assume that you could replace the non display home link mirror with a back up screen home link mirror - and install the camera and your up and running.

If the system is wired meaning video wire needed from rear hatch to review mirror then you may be out of luck unless you pull the head liner and run the wire.

Thanks for you answer, not what I was hoping to hear but the additional information regarding the wireless option is appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: