2000 Subaru Outback No Dash Lights, Tail Lights fine - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2000 Subaru Outback No Dash Lights, Tail Lights fine

I have a 2000 Subaru Outback, A/T. I installed a Kenwood headunit awhile back and lost dash lights(No, I didn't use an adapter, I know, dumb.) Anyway, I have tail lights, so it shouldn't be the tail and illum relay, I also have replaced the Illum control module (from a junker, maybe the one I got was bad too?). When I turn on my parking lights, the Gear indicator light in the dash dims. No fuses blow, I can make a fuse blow by hooking the purple wire that used to connect to the radio to ground. I have no idea what else could be wrong, obviously not a short if the fuses don't blow.. Could the illumination control module I picked up have been bad as well? Or could my problem be in the dimmer stalk and never had been an issue with the illum control module?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 02:28 PM

Car: 02 FOZ 5MT/00 Outback 4EAT
I did fog light mods and blew my dash lights. I searched, found nothing, but this is what I came up with...How-to: run fog lights independently - Page 4 - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 04:26 AM

Car: 99 outback limited 2.5
So did you solve your problem as my dash lights went out this morning. Fuse o.k but where is this illum control device thingamabob located. Oh yeah mines an 03.
Cheers
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 05:15 AM
ETC

Car: 00 OB 07 OBXT
The dash light dimmer on my 2000 is on the turn signal stalk, innermost ring [rotates].

If that's not it, double check all fuses [sometimes they aren't obvious]. there are some by your left knee when in the drivers seat [mine is behind a little door/cubby] and some in the engine compartment.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 12:31 AM

superoo, My dash lights went out when I shorted something. So if you did not do any electrical work it more than likely is not the same as my problem was. however if you did the trouble I ran into was locating the issue. I searched many sites with very little luck. What I found was some Subies have a Body Intigrated Unit (BIU)located on the steering column or an Illumination module located on the pass side kick panel. The 02 Foz has the module which is located behind the pass side kick panel and can beaccessed by removing the kick panel andlower portion of the dash (Glove box). The illumination wires are Violet for 12 volt and Orange/White for ground. I cut the Orange/White wire from the plug and grounded it to the body. This fixed my dash lights. This fix if it is your problem also will disable the dimmer switch. Frankly if I have working dash lights I could care less about the dimmer. The other option is to buy a new module. I hope this helps. If you want to read more I have all my fixes and mods on "SubaruForester.org" just search "medtec" Good luck...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 08:15 AM

Car: 99 outback limited 2.5
Ta for that. It'll have to wait till the weekend as it's dark when I leave home and dark when I get back. Winter is coming!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 06:35 PM

Superoo,
Any headway with your light issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: