2006 outback cruise not working - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2006 outback cruise not working

I have a 2006 outback 2.5I and the cruise control will not come on. The cruise light on the dash does not come on when the key is turned on. I have checked all the fuses i could find and all are good. anybody have any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 11:10 PM

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
That's a strange one; first time I can recall a fault where the indicator lights, which are LEDs and driven by the combination meter microcomputer, don't come on.

Quote:
I have checked all the fuses i could find and all are good.
Do you mean you checked all the fuses in both the engine and dashboard fuse panels, or do you mean you checked those fuses you could find that you believe are related to the cruise control?

If the latter, which fuses did you find and check (they're identified in the Owners Manual, by number)?

How did you check the fuses?

Did you try running the cruise control even though the indicator lights aren't on? (E.g., get up to a safe cruise speed, press the button to turn on the cruise control, and then flip the lever down momentarily to "set" the speed.) Did it work even though the lights indicator didn't come on?

Is the trip meter (in the odometer area) showing the current trip mileage, or is it showing what looks like an "Er" followed by two letters.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

I checked all the fuses in both panels. none of the fuses are labled for the cruise control. I checked the fuses with a test light, and all had power on both sides. I did try to set the cruise without the light being on and at several different speeds but could not get it to work. The trip meter is is showing the correct trip mileage and reset to zero when the reset was pushed.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

I just bought this car today and thought i had checked to see if everything worked but i guess i missed this one. Possibly why i got such a good deal.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 12:41 PM

Car: 2005 2.5i
I think I can answer this one as I had the same problem when I bought mine!

I had a bad clock spring which is located in the steering column. The part was $140, and I got dinged for a couple hours labor.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 04:04 PM

That's a very good possibility.

Did you also not have any cruise warning lights come on when the ignition key was set to On but the engine was not started? (They should come on for a few seconds, and then go out.)

It would be interesting to know if when there's a break in the clockspring that opens the circuit through that remaining path, the instrument panel cruise control lights don't come even when the ignition switch is turned to ON.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

I also thought it could be the contacts in the steering column causing an open circuit but with the airbag I am not comfortable taking it apart. My dealer has agreed to fix the problem, i will take it in next monday and suggest they check the clock spring. Since they are not a subaru dealer i hope they have a good mechanic.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 08:26 AM

Let us know what they find . . .
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 09:13 AM

Car: 2005 2.5i
I have no idea on the lights, I bought the car 1800 miles away and my dad picked it up for me and took it directly to the mechanic for the timing belt service. I know he said while driving it if he tried to use cruise nothing would happen. No lights or anything came on like the cruise didn't exist.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

My used car dealer ended up taking the car to the local subaru dealer and they found the cruise switch was defective. The switch had to be ordered, so when it comes in and is installed i will give you an update on weather the switch actually fixed the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: