Subaru Outback Forums banner

Harmon Kardon speaker volume problem

7K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  MarleyWH 
#1 ·
Hi! I'm a new Subaru owner, 2013 outback limited 2.5. Very happy with everything so far, but the volume is much to loud! What I mean is no matter the input, bluetooth, radio etc, the volume at ZERO is significantly loud. On the phone I can adjust the volume and make it more reasonable but the radio seems to have a lower limit to the volume control. I have never encountered speakers that had this issue. Hopefully there is an easy fix to this?

Thanks!

#4 ·
when you say the volume "at zero", what do you mean? Do you mean the Source Volume Control setting or the actual volume knob?

The following doesnt address your "issue" - but In general, for good signal to noise ratio and proper gain structure, if you are playing off an external player like a phone or mp3 player, you should have the volume on THAT unit up all the way or nearly all the way. Sometimes "all the way" may overload the input of the head unit - depending on the unit - but if that is the case, bring it down on the source unit just a hair only.
If you have the volume down on the source unit (phone, mp3 player), you are sending more noise across with the music - and then the gain on the head unit will be raising that noise with the music.

#5 ·
Not sure if this will help but if the problem is volume levels changing from mode to mode then there is a way to control those levels. In the equalizer screen I believe there is an additional level setting for the mode (fm am sat iPod & phone)

You can set a +/- for each mode. Check it out.

Steve

#6 ·
That's funny.. I can bring down the volume all the way to zero by using the +/- button on my steering wheel (left side) - when playing back iPod, iPad, iPhone or any radio including the XM radio. I can also advance songs by the switch on the steering wheel (switch next to +/- switch). This is regardless what volume is on the source.

#7 ·
Yes sorry for the confusion, the VOLUME KNOB / WHEEL -/+ switch takes the volume down to "0" but that is still relatively loud! No mater the audio source, radio or mp3 player. I do usually keep the volume all the way up on my iphone but the lowest volume setting on the speakers is too loud, shouldn't turning the volume to 0 mute the audio? It is not even close to muted.

#8 ·
Both of you missed my point. Not the +/- on the wheel. Read my post again above. This is an item in the menu system under the equalization settings. Here is what I was trying to get at. You set the volume of your favorite mode. Say FM. Now go to siriousXM and don't touch the volume. Go to the sound menu item on the screen. You will see three settings available. EQ settings, Sound position, and SVC. "SVC By default should be 0 on all modes where ever it's available!!!"

Now if on FM to start, leave the volume at the setting you like then go to SAT and go into the sound settings without touching the volume level previously set. Now set either plus or minus in SVC to bring the volume up or down to match the original FM level. (Note: If you go back to FM you will now see that SVC is greyed out meaning this is your base setting mode.) You can do this with the AM and Bluetooth modes also. I think this also applies to a iPod however there is a setting on iTunes and the iPod to equalize the level between songs.

One thing everyone needs to know is this.. SVC is only needed when minor level adjustments between modes is needed. It prevents you from getting blown out of the car after you change from FM to SAT or others.. (Remember the TV Commercial issue's.. walk away from the TV show then a commercial comes on and the volume of the commercial was 20db higher..)

Also remember this: At a default of "0" on SVC, your main volume control dial on the radio head is "0" also.. However, if any mode is set higher than "0" SVC (Lets say +5 in this case for SAT) then the lowest the main volume dial for SAT will no longer be "0" but it will be in fact +5 even when the dial says "0"..!!! So be very careful how much SVC you dial in.. Even when the volume control is set to "0" you will still hear sound out of the speakers if SVC is set way too high !!!

Is it possible to have sound even with the radio volume control set all the way down.. Yes it can!!! Try adding +10 or +20 SVC on each mode.. and try to use the +/- control on the steering wheel and see how you do..!!!

Steve
Bethlehem, Pa.

#9 ·
HDSKULLFIRE solution is right, I had changed that setting when I was tinkering with the audio, the wife complained when she set the volume to "0" she can still hear audio, so I reversed my changes until I figured it out.

#11 ·
Sorry to hijack - but this is for the nav HK system right? I have the non-nav HK system and I don't believe I have EQ options on mine. Just making sure I'm not missing something.

The options on my HK radio seem to be pretty limited :28:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.