Replacement fog lights - not working - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
smn

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Replacement fog lights - working after modifying circuit

I just replaced the fog lights in my 2000 OBW with some OEM replacements I bought off amazon. They lit up and blinked a few times but the light on the switch was intermittent. I was lucky to get a picture of them lit last night, but they didn't light this morning at all.

The fogs haven't been used in several years so I'm first guessing the relay may be misbehaving.

Checking the relay I measured the coil resistance at 100ohm, is this correct? For testing, I could swap with a similar relay in the box, and, run a hot wire from the battery to the upper contact (25) in the fuse box?
smn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2013, 09:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
smn

Looking at the schematic I have (WI-118 BU22-23)), could I bypass the relay contactor by using a wire between fuse no.7 (or switched ACC) and the WB wire going to pin 1 behind the fog light switch? They in such close proximity that they should be easy to wire. I would only be concerned about the current through the SMJ back to the lights.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
smn

Another option would be to short pins 25 and 26 in the relay box (after removing the fog light relay) and disconnect the RG wire from FB-7 and connecting it to an ACC controlled fuse.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
smn

As best as I can tell the fog light switch and the two lights within it work fine. I suspect my issue may have been in the headlight switch, although the headlights work just fine.

My final solution was to run a wire from the load side of the cig lighter fuse to pin 1 of the fog light harness. This will turn on/off the fog lights with the ACC switch. No wires were cut, so it's easy to put everything back into place.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
smn

And one final addition - I mounted a small switch on the knee board directly under the original switch to manually turn on and off the fog lights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: