TPMS light - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-30-2007, 06:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Recruit

Car: 2008 2.5i outback
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default TPMS light

I just bought a brand new 2008 2.5i outback, last night. I got in this morning and the TPMS light came on and stayed on. I checked the tire pressure in all 4 tires and all were correct. I can't figure out why that light won't shut off.....
I don't remember it being on last night when I drove home.
lvanenwyck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2007, 07:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Flying Cavalry

Car: 2008 3.0 LL Bean w/ Nav

The light came on on my car after I lowered the pressure from 40 to 32psi. The car was delivered with 40 psi. A few days later after I let out some air the light came on. To fix the issue I inflated the tires to 36psi and the light went off. I don't know if my gauge is inaccurate or that the TPMS is not calibrated to the correct pressure. The light shouldn't come up at the factory recommended pressure of 32 psi. What pressure do you have currently?
pdlpsher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2007, 07:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: -2008 XT MT

check the spare tire if light wont go off. not sure if the spare on the outback has a sensor, but some cars do, and that may be your problem
wagonguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2007, 04:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Legionairre

Originally posted by wagonguy:
"check the spare tire if light wont go off. not sure if the spare on the outback has a sensor, but some cars do, and that may be your problem"

It is *very* unlikely to matter if the Subaru spare tire has a TPM sensor installed or
not. The TPM sensor only activates when the tire is rotating at an RPM that equates
to at least 20 MPH. For this reason, only the "road tires" are being monitored and
the state of the unused tire is irrelevant. This is all described in the owner's manual.
Zetopan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2007, 05:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Recruit

Car: 2008 2.5i outback

According to my manual, the pressure on the front tires should be a 32 psi and the backs at 30 psi. I checked the psi with two gauges and both read the same (of course that doesn't mean that either gauge is calibrated or correct). I will check the spare tire, and if that doesn't help, then I will fill the tires a little above the recommended psi and see what happens.

Thanks for the quick replies, everyone!!
lvanenwyck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2007, 08:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
OB Won Wannabe

Car: 08 OBXT LTD 5EAT-SS Ghost Pearl White

Quote:
Originally posted by pdlpsher
The light came on on my car after I lowered the pressure from 40 to 32psi. The car was delivered with 40 psi. A few days later after I let out some air the light came on. To fix the issue I inflated the tires to 36psi and the light went off. I don't know if my gauge is inaccurate or that the TPMS is not calibrated to the correct pressure. The light shouldn't come up at the factory recommended pressure of 32 psi. What pressure do you have currently?
Same here... Had all the tires at 37PSI, lowered them to 32/30PSI... Light comes on...

Jacked them up to 35PSI and the light went out...
Old 12-31-2007, 09:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Paladin

Car: 2007 Outback 2.5i

Quote:
Originally posted by Zetopan
Originally posted by wagonguy:
"check the spare tire if light wont go off. not sure if the spare on the outback has a sensor, but some cars do, and that may be your problem"

It is *very* unlikely to matter if the Subaru spare tire has a TPM sensor installed or
not. The TPM sensor only activates when the tire is rotating at an RPM that equates
to at least 20 MPH. For this reason, only the "road tires" are being monitored and
the state of the unused tire is irrelevant. This is all described in the owner's manual.
The system becomes active at 20 mph. At that point, it could potentially monitor the four rotating tires plus the spare if the spare is equipped with a TPM. If the four rotating tires are OK and the spare is low, the TPMS light will come on. Has anyone looked at the spare to see if it has a TPM?
WtMtns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2007, 09:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
I :heart: SUBARU

Car: '00OBW, '96&'94 Legacy

The sensor in the wheel doesn't start transmitting though until it's turning above some speed, then shuts down after it hasn't turned for like 15 minutes or something like that.

I think the light is supposed to come on if the pressure drops to 27psig. However, there are also trouble codes such as not reciving data from one of the snesors, etc. I'm not sure if that makes the light flash or maybe it makes it come on solid too. Can't remember also maybe if it detects rapid decrease in tire pressure it comes on? There's a great recent article on www.endwrench.com about the system.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2007, 09:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Paladin

Car: 2007 Outback 2.5i

Quote:
Originally posted by porcupine73
The sensor in the wheel doesn't start transmitting though until it's turning above some speed, then shuts down after it hasn't turned for like 15 minutes or something like that.

I think the light is supposed to come on if the pressure drops to 27psig. However, there are also trouble codes such as not reciving data from one of the snesors, etc. I'm not sure if that makes the light flash or maybe it makes it come on solid too. Can't remember also maybe if it detects rapid decrease in tire pressure it comes on? There's a great recent article on www.endwrench.com about the system.
Good point. That means if there is a sensor on the spare, it would have to be on all the time. The battery certainly would not last long. If it ever stops snowing here, I will go out and check to see if there is a TPM sensor on my spare.
WtMtns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2007, 05:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Recruit

This is a problem that Subaru is having that has yet to be addressed. The only fix is to overinflate the tires past 36 lbs. If you want the light to go off overinflate the tire but expect some premature tire wear and a little stiffer ride.
stiffnecked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: