Tire Recommendations - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Car: Subaru Outback 2008, base
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tire Recommendations

We've just bought a used 2008 Subaru Outback base model (225/60R16) and are looking to get new tires. We live on the west coast of BC Canada and enjoy a lot of rain, maybe a few days of snow during the winter and the subsequent few days of slushy or icier roads… but mostly a lot of rain and drier summers. We don't typically drive to work so use the car mostly on weekends - at this point, we don't rake up km's too quickly.

I've never purchased tires before so this is a learning experience...

Firstly, can't decide between all-season or all-weather. Given that the climate here is a lot of rain with chance of winter conditions (during which time we likely wouldn't drive unless emergency) would all-seasons be okay?

Then wondering if anyone has specific recommendations? We've done some research and visited multiple outlets for quote. From what we've seen we have narrowed it down to (but are open to other ideas)

Goodyear TripleTread (all-season)
Nokian entrye (all season)
Nokain WRG2 or 3 (not sure on difference; all-weather)
Vredstein Quatrac (all-weather)

The prices range between $167 - $194 per tire so not a horrible difference, but still one that adds up.

Thoughts or advice?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: VDC Wagon 3.0 & Outback Limited Sedan 2.5
Welcome to the forum, if someone doesn't beat me.

Michellin Primacy MXV4, not on the list?? Great tires, long tread life, long had on my 2 outbacks with the same size as yours.

Great as long as its not on slippery slimey snow, going up a hill. (I guess BC lets you have cable chains if you need them).

and I guess you mean canadian loonies and toonies.

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Car: Subaru Outback 2008, base
I haven't had Michellin's recommended to me at any of the locations I've visited… heard they aren't as good as they used to be? But will look them up - not sure what retailers stock them or the $$ here.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 12:06 PM

Car: 2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
The TripleTreads are fine in everything but snow, at which point I don't think they're any better than any other all season. They seem to wear pretty well. We have them on our '98 for three seasons and run studded Cooper Weathermasters on it in the winter because it's basically a tank on wheels with those.

The WRG2/3 are going to be more expensive, but they're also going to be tires that can truly tackle snow and dry conditions without a big compromise in either direction. I have heard that the 2 is better than the 3.

RIP Outback: 2008 3.0R LL Bean "Senior Citizen Gold" 99,150 miles

Current Vehicle:
2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed TRD Sport 4x4
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 12:09 PM

Car: 2002 Subaru Outback H6 L.L.Bean
I had the Michelin Primacy MXV4, and ended up off the road twice, once in light rain, and once in icy conditions. I finally got fed up and just put on Pirelli P7 All-Season Plus, and I am extremely happy so far. Much better in all conditions, and much quieter. Haven't had a tire spin since, and we have been having brutal snow here in New Jersey. The Michelin's had bad side wall cracking too, I just don't understand why so many people like those tires, at this rate I will be sticking with Pirelli.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP and 2002 3.0 L.L. Bean wagons.
^^^ because their experience is nothing like yours?

I've never had a good Pirelli tire, won't touch them anymore. My MXV4 are the best wet tire I have ever had. Yeah, they are bad on ice...but it's an all-season tire, they're all bad on ice.

Have you tried using the Google search bar at the top of the forum?

2003 Outback 2.5 wagon: "Kaylee". 162,000 and counting.
More rust than I care to think about. And leaking head gaskets. And electrical gremlins. Still flyin'.

2002 L.L. Bean Limited 3.0 Outback wagon: "Mal". 112,000 and counting.
Plenty of battle scars and fixing up the previous owner's neglect via Project Retrograde.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 01:02 PM

Car: 09 OBXT LTD MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDFTW View Post
^^^ because their experience is nothing like yours?

I've never had a good Pirelli tire, won't touch them anymore. My MXV4 are the best wet tire I have ever had. Yeah, they are bad on ice...but it's an all-season tire, they're all bad on ice.
+1 to that
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 02:39 PM

Car: 2002 Subaru Outback H6 L.L.Bean
Im sure the Michelin's were pretty good when they were new, but the problem arose later on in their lifetime. They didn't have a lot of miles on them, and still had plenty of tread, but they became hard, and had almost no grip. My father is a mechanic said that he has had other people come in with the same issue with the tire, one person was even afraid to drive in the rain with the tire.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP and 2002 3.0 L.L. Bean wagons.
*shrug*

Again, with 50K on my set, that is the exact opposite of my experience.

Have you tried using the Google search bar at the top of the forum?

2003 Outback 2.5 wagon: "Kaylee". 162,000 and counting.
More rust than I care to think about. And leaking head gaskets. And electrical gremlins. Still flyin'.

2002 L.L. Bean Limited 3.0 Outback wagon: "Mal". 112,000 and counting.
Plenty of battle scars and fixing up the previous owner's neglect via Project Retrograde.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 03:42 PM

Car: 2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
The tripletreads are a directional tire so rotations will be front to rear with no crossing unless you flip the tires on the rims. I had those on my previous vehicle (a FWD sedan) and wasn't THAT impressed with them, in fact I thought the original Eagle LS tires were better in some cases (other than treadwear).

I have the GY Assurance Comfortread Touring tires on my 2011 Outback and have had NO complaints, even in the 10" of snow on my road on Valentine's day.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: