Drivetrain noise - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-25-2008, 02:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2000 OBW 5MT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to subaru311
Default Drivetrain noise

I have this noise coming from within the drivetrain somewhere. Basically, when I let the clutch out in any gear (its louder when there is more load on the engine) there is a small click sounds like somewhere between the drive shaft and front end drivetrain. itll also do it if im high in the rpm band (3- 4k) and just let off the gas abruptly. almost like there is some play in the drivetrain.

I had the car up on the lift today and i was checking all the suspension and i noticed that the bushing where the rear left hub connects towards the front of the car; kind of looks like a dog bone had slipped almost off the inside of the arm.

I also noticed quite some play in the drive shaft, between the front and rear differentials. I could probably turn it 1/8 turn. I checked the transmission fluid and its yellow

Not sure if i should drain and fill fluids, the car has 168k 5spd on it and i dont know if they ever changed the fluid.
subaru311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2008, 08:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
Send a message via AIM to nipper

CHange fluids but it wont help this.

YOu have either a bad tranny mount, a bad universal joint, a seized universal joint, or maybe a clutch issue.

How many miles on the clutch?

Do you hear the noise louder when going from forward to reverse?

nipper
nipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2008, 04:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Not too sure when the clutch was replaced, but I've had some mechanics check it they say its still good.
I'll put it on the lift again and check directly where the sound is coming from.

EDIT
well, i was messing around with the car and it does make the noise more loudly when i go from reverse to forward.

EDIT 2
I now have an extremely strange whining noise when I get up to cruising speed in any gear (I heard it most at a slower speed, 20 mph), sounds like it is definitely coming from the clutch; when i depress the clutch the whine stops. The click has also gotten louder and sounds more towards the front of the car.

The axles were replaced probably about 2 weeks ago. When we noticed a strange wobble we realized that the axle on the passenger side of the car was not properly torqued down; we hit it with an impact hammer and tightened the sucker right up. I'm not too sure what to do. Any help would be good to save this subie!
Old 07-01-2008, 04:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

alright i just put the beast on the lift. There is a lot of play in the rack and pinion from left to right. Is there an adjustment on the inside of the rack? I hope so because i was looking at replacing the whole rack at around 500 beans.

The drive shaft is definatly loose. Its in the u joints and i think the carrier bearing. Anyone know where i can find these parts and how hard they are to install? we dont have a press but we have power tools and a lift.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Get a used driveshaft, or purchase one rebuilt.

Rack play is really hard to define on line. Usually they leak, they dont wear out. Are you sure its not the internal nuckles of the tie rod ends your seeing? Those are servicable.

nipper
Old 07-01-2008, 07:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

it is definitely internal i can see the steering column turning on the top of the steering rack when i shake the wheel forwards and back. I took the lock nut off the adjusting screw and tightened the adj. screw a bit. The play went away but it seems now that the steering doesn't return to center when i turn the wheel i sort of have to move it back manually. Brakes still shuttering

There is a guy out by me called the Subaru Guru and he is gonna take a look at it.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Steering lash adjustments can do more harm then good if over adjusted.

Good to get some exp eyes to look at it.

nipper
Old 07-02-2008, 12:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
optimistic pessimist

Car: 97 2.5 mt outback 98 forester s

are you in wa? a guy from kent left me a card for a subaru guru. have similar issues.
cleansubaru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2008, 06:46 AM   #9 (permalink)

Im in MA. The guys name is Dana Prentice he owns the Car Works in Templeton

People say he is better than a factory tech, home grown TLC
Old 07-10-2008, 07:08 AM   #10 (permalink)

i brought my car down to the "guru" and was sorely disappointed. He called me around 3 pm the same day i dropped it off and said he had no desire to look at the car! I think he was scared of the ground kit i picked up off eBay. I don't understand why he was so temperamental but if you ever go to a guy in MA called dana for Subaru stuff i would suggest away from it if you have any mods. looks like im **** out of luck now. i dont know where else to bring it. factory service is so expensive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: