Subaru Outback Forums banner

Method Rally Wheels (limited stock - Pre-order now!)

453K views 394 replies 135 participants last post by  9986mkoh 
#1 ·
NOW IN STOCK!!!

Details: Method Race Wheels Rally 15x7 +15 5-100 Matte Black

We had the chance to pick up a limited number (only 120) 15x7 Method Racing Rally wheels. We've placed our order and the wheels are on their way. If you are looking to give your lifted Outback an aggressive rally look you won't find a better wheel option so jump on these while supplies last.

Method Racing Rally Wheel Specs:
15x7 5x100 +15mm offset
Matte Black Finish
Steel Inserted lug holes - Strength
No center cap
Subaru Hub Centric (56.1 hub bore)
Built to Subaru Rally Team Specs

Discount Tire Part #75691​

Recognize these wheels? Likely so, these wheels are produced by Method Racing Wheels for the Subaru Rally Team. Driver David Higgins recently finished the last 14 miles of stage 6 at the Mt. Hood Rally on a bare wheel after he blew a tire in the first mile. Higgins reached speeds over 100mph and this is what the wheel looked like after the beating.

More info on the story here: WATCH: David Higgins In-Car and Mt. Hood Rally Recap | Method Race Wheels

To pre-order a set of your Subaru please call 1.888.459.4080.

_____
_____
_____

See less See more
#124 ·
Just got mine in from Discount Tire! No issues, fast shipping, well double boxed, the valve stems which I added to the order are good quality with metal caps.

Unfortunately it's going to be a little while before I order tires as I need to save some money. I'm debating between General Grabber AT2s and Firestone Winterforce tires. If I were to go with the Grabbers, I'd probably only run them 3-seasons and have a dedicated winter set (as I have now with Hankook i-Pikes). The disadvantage there is that I'd have big heavy A/T tires on my slow Subaru for most of the year. I'm also considering wrapping the Methods with Firestone Winterforces. If I were to go that route, I'd run them all winter and swap them for my normal all-seasons after winter. That way, I could swap to the Methods whenever I think I may go off-road because the Firestone Winterforces are pretty decent off-road (have them on my truck).

#125 ·
I'd love some more info on these that would fit my 2005 LL Bean Outback. I've enjoyed seeing all of the photos of my body style.

How do the wheels and tires affect everyone's gas mileage? I don't get much better than 21 currently but I do love the look of these. I think the matte black would be really sharp on the green color of my OB.

Thanks!

#131 ·
Aww, man! I really liked the meaty look of the 15s, too. And there's not much tire selection for 17s that fit the 3rd gen without some shaving or rubbing. Ah, well, back to the drawing board...

Thanks for replying!

Edit: So I'm assuming there's a difference in brakes between 2005 and 2006 3.0R?

#130 ·
I attached a pic of my car with these wheels. I have Geolandar A/T-S 235/70 R15s. If you have a Gen4 Outback, I'd say this is the maximum size tire you can go without a suspension lift. I had to remove all the splash guards to allow them to fit. Heavy, tight cornering will rub the inside wheel wells slightly even with the splash guards off but worth it for the wider stance the car now has.

Attachments

#132 ·
I'm considering putting these on my 2012 2.5i with 225/65/17s. What size tire should I look for to get something of similar physical size? Or is that even possible?

#133 ·
Nice choice, mine's below. :grin2: First off, I believe the OEM tire size for your 2012 Premium is 225/60-17, not 225/65-17. Wheel offset is 48mm for all the 2012 Outbacks. I suggest using the nice wheel/tire comparison tool at Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com. You can put OEM tires on the new 8” wheels or use the comparator to test various tire sizes. But don’t get too crazy as there is not a huge amount of excess space near the suspension or fender edge. And make sure you get the correct bolt pattern wheels (5x100mm) for your model year. Good luck.

Attachments

#155 ·
My many thanks to Mason at Discount Tire. He is extremely knowledgeable and guided me in the right direction. I am replacing my 18" wheels with the Method MR501 17X8 5-114.30 42. Placed my order but they are currently on back order and hopefully will get them the second week in February. I'm going to put the Cooper Discoverer A/T3 235/65R17 on them. Can't say enough with how helpful Mason was. You have an outstanding employee there!!!!

#161 ·
Picked up some 17” Method 501 Rally's in Titanium and paired with YOK GEOLNDR AT G015 XL in 235/65/17 for my 2015 OB. The YOK's were said to fit but i was still a bit concerned about how tight the fit would be. I shouldn't have worried. I would say theres at least 1 - 1.5 Inches of clearance to the fender. Very happy with the results. Ive only been on them 1 day but first impressions ascetically are very positive! The Titanium has a flat grey finish. A dark grey that almost looks black. I like that because I was initially torn whether I would get Black or Silver (Titanium) and turns out i feel i got a little of both. Initial ride impression is SMOOTH with VERY little if any road noise. Will refrain from giving other impressions due to only putting about 10 miles on them. Havent gotten on the freeway yet.. things may change. For now, very impressed and happy with the results!

Need to sell some OEM 18"!!

Attachments

#165 ·
Great thread! So excited, pulled the trigger on '17 Outback 3.6R Limited, white w/black interior!

Looking to upgrade wheels/tires and like the Method MR502 Rally wheels in black and Yokohama Geolandar G015 tires.

Have a couple of questions...

Can you please PM a quote on these?

Also, is 17" the smallest diameter wheel that would fit on my Outback? I'd consider 16" wheels if they fit for a bit more tire sidewall height. May be a bit of lift in the future too, who knows... ha.

I realize the method MR502 doesn't come in 16" but would consider other wheels in 16" if they fit.

I've heard/read that local Discount Tire stores will buy/give credit for OEM tires, is that true? I may try to work something out with dealer too I suppose. I don't know, never swapped wheels/tires from new before.

Thanks!

#169 ·
I have a '17 Outback Touring with the 2.5L that I just bought Monday. I am having four Yoko Geolander A/T tires (235 60R18) installed today (at the local Discount Tire) and have heavily considering changing wheels to 17's. Could I could a quote for both 17 and 18 inch Methods?

#170 ·
Thank you for your business. :grin2: Your local Discount Tire store can order the Method MR502 wheels for you as well. You may want to get their installed price from them when you are getting your tires installed.

BTW, congratulations on your new car. The Yokohama Geolandar A/T tires work great. I have them on an FJ Cruiser and love them.

Here is our current online pricing for the Method Race Wheels MR502:

17x8.5 5-114.3 cost $185.00 each

18x8.5 5-114.3 cost $205.00 each

There is currently a $30.00 mail in rebate with the purchase of 4 wheels.

Here is a link to them:

Method Rally Wheels MR 502 Wheels | Discount Tire Direct

Please let us know if we can be of assistance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.