Brake fluid replacement - brand and quantity - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-25-2008, 01:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
I :heart: SUBARU

Car: '00OBW, '96&'94 Legacy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

someone mentioned be careful if you switch to 'synthetic' brake fluid, so i'm trying to figure out as opposed to what 'non-synthetic' brake fluid would be.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2008, 02:27 PM   #12 (permalink)

Car: 2008 2.5i Outback
Default Brake Fluid Type?

Quote:
Originally posted by porcupine73
someone mentioned be careful if you switch to 'synthetic' brake fluid, so i'm trying to figure out as opposed to what 'non-synthetic' brake fluid would be.
I don't have a knowledgeable answer to your question, but our Owner's Manual cautions against mixing different types (e.g. DOT 3, DOT 4, DOT 5) fluids and it even discourages mixing different brands. Your best bet is to have a full flush done with either DOT 3 or DOT 4.
tirolerpeter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2008, 02:37 PM   #13 (permalink)

Car: 2001 Legacy 2.5

Quote:
I think it only applies to "silicone-based" brake fluid. I was in Walmart last night and they have Prestone DOT4 synthetic and one of the things listed on the back was something like "mixes with all conventional brake fluids." I think I remember the same thing being on the Valvoline Synpower DOT4 bottle too when I used to use that (otherwise I probably would have steered away).
johnson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2008, 02:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
Legionairre

Car: '04 Subaru OBW, '97 BMW M3, '67 Cadillac DeVille convertible, '02 Yamaha R1

Quote:
Originally posted by johnson
If you have a large budget, ATE Superblue or Type 200 (they are the same except for the color) are very high-end DOT4 fluids. It will probably run you around $20 for a 1-litre sized can. Never used these (too expensive & I don't have the need for it), but I've heard they are good for racing/track use.
$20 a liter? More like $10-12 a liter
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...ODUCT_ID=ATESB
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/ate/a...blue_fluid.jsp

I like switching between Superblue and Typ200 because they're essentially the same thing but the color difference makes full flushes easy. It's all I've ever run in my BMW and my motorcycle, and I plan on switching to it on my Scooby's first fluid change.

Besides, the confused look when people look at dark fluid in the master cylinder is priceless. "Dude, your brake fluid REALLY needs a change!"
Old 09-25-2008, 03:15 PM   #15 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2004 Outback Wagon, Mystic Blue Pearl

Quote:
Originally posted by johnson

I think it only applies to "silicone-based" brake fluid. I was in Walmart last night and they have Prestone DOT4 synthetic and one of the things listed on the back was something like "mixes with all conventional brake fluids." I think I remember the same thing being on the Valvoline Synpower DOT4 bottle too when I used to use that (otherwise I probably would have steered away).
Yeah, I think that the confusion is between silicone, and synthetic, people can have a tendency to swap the terms. DOT5 is typically has silicone in it, and that is why you don't want to use it. My understanding is that synthetics have higher boiling points than non-synthetics. So. . .stay away from "silicone" but I don't think there is any problem with synthetics.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:56 PM   #16 (permalink)
Legionairre

Car: 2001 OBW LTD

Quote:
What are some brands/types of 'non-synthetic' or 'conventional' dot3 or dot4 brake fluids?
Good article on this topic here: Clicky here
Claymore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2008, 10:09 AM   #17 (permalink)
Subaru enthusiast

Car: 2005 OB 2.5i AT
Default Re: Brake Fluid Brands

Quote:
Originally posted by tirolerpeter

There are many major brands (Valvoline, Gunk, etc.) available. Look at the top of the brake fluid reservior. My vehicle is an 08 and it clearly states: "Use only clean, fresh (meaning that the fluid has not been standing around open to absorb moisture) DOT-3 Brake fluid." I can't imagine your 05 would specify the need for DOT-4 and definitely not DOT-5. You don't "race" or "AutoX" it, do you? The key to good fluid performance is keeping moisture out of it. Brake fluid absorbs water from the air (I believe the technical term is "hygroscopic.") over time. That is why it is good to change it. Also, the water that gets into the fluid tends to condense (after boiling from hot braking) in the wheel cylinders or caliper pistons. This can cause mushy brake action, and corrosion. Total replacement every couple of years is good, but a good "bleed" at each wheel positon annually also goes a long way to keep things healthy.
The manual says DOT 3 OR DOT 4 but I will also check on the cap. No I don't AutoX or race my OB.

Looks like Valvoline is probably the best at the moment.
tigerclaws is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2008, 10:38 AM   #18 (permalink)

Car: 08 Outback Touring Blue/Grey w:Alpine stereo,corrosion management,front/rear swaybars/endlinks(Whiteline), King Springs, KYB struts,LWT crank pulley,K&N air filter

PDM-racing made a mistake and sent me Motul 600 synthetic brake fluid when I ordered the less expensive one. I've been using synthetics in my brake system for 6 years now. The big differences I understand is the synthetics absorb water faster and have higher boiling points.
I use synthetics in everything except power steering (because I've never had to change or add any). I will be flushing my 08 OB system next year. I do my brake systems every 2 years, mainly because I live in a high moisture climate.
ported is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2008, 10:31 PM   #19 (permalink)

Car: 06 wrx wagon

Since boiling the brake fluid in my Saab years ago I go with the best brake fluid I can get my hands on. Super Blue is usually my choice. IIRC they have a "non blue" version of the same fluid so you know when it's fully flushed out.

My understanding is that DOT 5 is no compatible with DOT 3/4 but DOT 3 and 4 are compatible with each other.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:59 PM   #20 (permalink)

Car: 05 Outback 2.5

Anybody have a set of instructions for a complete brake flush? I'm pretty sure I know all the basics but I don't want to miss anything.
T_D_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: