Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums (http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/)
-   Wheels, Tires, Brakes, & Suspension (http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/81-wheels-tires-brakes-suspension/)
-   -   strut replacement-when? (http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/81-wheels-tires-brakes-suspension/15547-strut-replacement-when.html)

wilsonhp 10-26-2008 09:22 AM

strut replacement-when?

When should I be expecting my struts to get getting old and tired enough to need replacing?

What are the indicator that they need replacing? Leaking oil? Bouncing car corners? Body roll in cornering?

Should they be replaced singly, in pairs, or all four at once? Do I also need to replace the top bearings and plates? Or just the actual shock absorber portion of the overall assembly? Rebuild mine, or replace with a complete assembly, including new springs?

And, how would worn struts affect tire wear?

Thanks,

nipper 10-26-2008 09:32 AM

ANy times after 80,000 miles struts can go,but on soobies they seem to last up untill well over 150,000 miles. At that high mileage i would suggest all 4 as you would notice quiet a bit of differnce between front and rea handling.

They should be replaced in pairs, or all at once. i usually do all 4.

The bounce test. Bounce the bumper. If the car bounces more then 1.5times the struts are tired. Do the struts knock? Is the car more "thrilling" in high speed curve in one direction as opposed to the other? Are the tires cupping?
Yes to any of those,its time for a strut replacement.

nipper

PS springs only if they are broken or the car is sagging. Top hats yes should be replaced,but not mandatory. Leaking oil is not an automatic reason to replace a strut.

tirolerpeter 10-26-2008 09:51 AM

Re: strut replacement-when?

Quote:

Originally posted by wilsonhp
"When should I be expecting my struts to get getting old and tired enough to need replacing?"

There is no specific milage at which struts wear out. Smooth highway driving can allow struts to last a very long time. Urban driving on potholed streets, or off-road use at speed will speed their deterioration. If a vehicle is your daily driver, you will not notice the decline since it tends to be very gradual.

"What are the indicator that they need replacing? Leaking oil? Bouncing car corners? Body roll in cornering?"

Yes.

"Should they be replaced singly, in pairs, or all four at once? Do I also need to replace the top bearings and plates? Or just the actual shock absorber portion of the overall assembly? Rebuild mine, or replace with a complete assembly, including new springs?"

Short of a catastrophic failure of one strut shortly after replacement, they should be replaced in pairs as a minimum, but full sets is the most desireable procedure. I have replaced entire strut assemblies, and I have done shock inserts. Both have worked well. As for the springs; do your springs sag? Is the vehicle sitting level on a hard level surface? Do you typically carry very heavy loads long distances or over rough terrain? Those are all factors.

"And, how would worn struts affect tire wear?"

If a strut or struts allow excessive movement of the wheel it can certainly increase tire wear. Bouncing can induce "cupping" similar to tire imbalance.

Thanks,

BOBOBW 10-26-2008 11:30 AM

On my 00 they were pretty much gone at 105K. I went with new struts, coil springs, strut bearings, cushions, etc with OEM parts. Pretty much the whole deal. Figured was doing it do it once and no worries on them for another 100K or more.

obsolete 10-26-2008 09:19 PM

Maybe this is why my rear tires are cupping. ****.

tirolerpeter 10-26-2008 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by obsolete
Maybe this is why my rear tires are cupping. ****.
Yes, it could be from constant bouncing, or there might also be an alignment issue concurrent with the worn strut. Subies need four wheel alignments just as most vehicles with four wheel independent suspensions.

wilsonhp 11-23-2008 11:01 AM

front struts replaced

At 137K miles, I went ahead and had the fronts replaced. Replaced everything with OEM parts. Total cost, including alignment was about $1200. Re-used only the top nut and the rubber spring seat. The bearings felt rough when I rotated them, so that was probably part of the deep growling noise heard.

See my other update post on Nokian WR G2s for details on why I had it done now.

I'll likely have the rears done in a couple months. Should be a little cheaper, since they don't use a bearing plate in the rears.

It now rides quieter, and feels smoother on the road.

Hooray 11-26-2008 10:40 AM

i replaced mine at about 115K and it was desperate. I used KYB GR2's and the ride is alot more solid. do all 4 at once

wilsonhp 11-30-2008 08:48 AM

Now with over 500 miles on the new struts, I'm glad it did it. Ride is quieter and smoother. I'll do the rears in a month or two, once I save up some more $$ (to get the cash discount.)