Subaru Outback Forums banner

Bridgestone Dueler HP Sport A/S In Snow ?

25K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  KentuckyOutback 
#1 ·
Hello,

Son just bought a new 2015 Subau Outback; Premium i

Car came with Bridgestone Dueler HP Sport A/S

Frankly, never heard of them.

Live in the Boston, Mass. area.
Get a fair amount of snow here, but nothing like northern Maine or Minn.

Questons: How come they are using Bridgestone's as oem ?
Has Subaru been doing this for a long time in New England ?

Very concerned about snow driving.

Anyone have any experience with these in "typical" New England snow conditions ?

Can these be considered as a true All-Weather type of tire ?

Any thoughts or comments would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

See less See more
#2 ·
Because Bridgestone is their current contract, why else would they use them as a supplier?

Subaru does not supply different tires for different areas in the USA.

Also, this has been asked many times on this forum.

For the reviews:
Let me google that for you

#3 ·
Those tires get a good reception by Tirerack in regard to wet & dry handling and MPG. These praises are largely mirrored by customer reviews, but you will be hard pressed to find anyone saying anything good about the Dueler AS snow performance. They are not snow tires. If Subaru equipped the Outbacks with snow tires, they'd perform poorly in the warmer weather and people would be complaining that they only last 10k miles when the weather warms. If your son has the money for a brand new Outback, he should be able to budget in a separate set of wheels and snow tires for the winter months. He is literally 0% safer in an AWD car equipped with tires that have poor snow traction than a RWD or FWD car equipped with the same tires.

Do it now, it's already winter weather!

#4 ·
Yeah, I think the stock tires are alright for a summer tire.

But I am for sure in the process if picking up some Nokians on a second set of rims.

All seasons are just not gona cut it for snow based on my experence living in Maine. You may not need the best of the best full studded setup, but winter tire rubber is designed to stay plyable and grip will in cold not to mention snow, slush and ice traction.

#5 ·
Hello,

Son just bought a new 2015 Subau Outback; Premium i

Car came with Bridgestone Dueler HP Sport A/S

Frankly, never heard of them.

Live in the Boston, Mass. area.
Get a fair amount of snow here, but nothing like northern Maine or Minn.

Questons: How come they are using Bridgestone's as oem ? Y
Has Subaru been doing this for a long time in New England ?

Very concerned about snow driving.

Anyone have any experience with these in "typical" New England snow conditions ?

Can these be considered as a true All-Weather type of tire ?

Any thoughts or comments would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob
Those tires will do fine in Boston. They are snow tires but even in Boston you aren't driving on that much snow. For the little bit of snow you actually drive on (because roads are fairly well plowed) he'd be fine. I was fine in a lowered lgt on summer performance tires here in Boston. Those all seasons will do fine. If you are expecting them to perform the same as on dry that won't happen. I think many people who comment on tires don't have the proper expectations....but that's my opinion.

#6 ·
I didn't really think about the fact that the roads in a busy area will typically be cleared faster than in rural areas. Where I live in CT, snow will accumulate and the plows may not make it to our road until there's already 6 inches of snow on the road...making snow tires very beneficial.

That said, in Boston, you may never end up in a situation where you "need" winter tires, but they're like seat belts in that they may not make an appreciable difference until you really need them. They may be the difference between sliding into a busy intersection and stopping at the line, ergo they may be the difference between needing your seat belts or not.

Also consider that winter tires are not just for snow; the rubber compound is formulated for low temperatures, so they're better anyway. Also just my opinion, and depending on how well your roads are maintained you may decide that they're not a necessary investment...I don't live where you live so I won't pass final judgement..lol

#8 ·
Winter tires are certainly going to be better than all seasons on snow covered roads. As for whether they are needed or not....I don't think they are absolutely necessary. The analogy you made I would think would be similar to having summer tires and not seat belts. Like winter tires, summer tires will do the same in dry as winters in snow. Both are going to be better performing for their respective conditions.

I think the question is really whether they are absolutely necessary. I would argue for the op who lives in Boston they are not. Are they going to be better than the all seasons? Sure.

I think people mistakingly think winter tires are going to give them license to drive in snow just as they would in dry and that simply is not the case. One must still be extra careful in these conditions.

But as you mentioned on safety, if one has the means to purchase multiple sets of tires for the different conditions, then they absolutely should. Tires are the single most important safety feature of a car. It if those four little patches that translate everything done in the car to the ground.

Getting back to the op's original post. The duellers will do fine for boston in winter. All seasons are generally going to be a mediocre tire for every season. They will not accel compared to condition specific tires but will do generally ok in all seasons.

Also, for what it's worth, I've driven on these during a bad snow storm on 95 from Beverly to arlington where the plows haven't really plowed and did just fine. No slipping and was able to drive/maneuver better than everyone else on the road. That not to say you still need to be extra conservative but they did fine. If you're super concerned, then get winter tires, but keep in mind those are not going to Mae conditions that are really unsafe to drive in all the sudden be safe.

#7 ·
ok My .02
I just got back from a 3000 plus mile trip, through a Really icy storm from Salt Lake city To Portland Or, the coast, Seattle, Bellingham, and Back to Salt Lake City, Two Storms and If I hadn't put on My winter Tires, I would not have made the trip. I tested the Duelers on the Snow with no Ice and realized quickly, they wouldn't STOP on the ICE or hold a corner.
But with the Blizzaks on I had no problems at ALL, there was over an Inch of ice going up the Hill from Ontario Or. and through the Columbia Gorge and I saw so many Accidents, trucks upside down, ( pickup Trucks) and cars in the ditch, a few semis, and SO many drivers with all seasons on doing 15/20 mph on the Interstate, From Mt Home Idaho to Portland . and then again coming over Snowqualmie Pass in Wa. until Stanfield Or. the MPG went down Considerably , ( more than I liked) but with the wind, Winter tires, Winter Gas, and Ice/snow. I expected it. BUT the traction control light never went off once.
Winter tires are not just for getting your car out of the parking lot, There main purpose is for STOPPING on Ice, faster then All seasons. Unfortunately so many people can't afford them OR just don't think they are Needed. and then they forget to look when they change lanes to see if someone is coming up on them , in the fast lane. the Tires make the Contact with the Road not the CAR. ( winter tires are much cheaper than , hospital bills, insurance claims, tow trucks, and Car repairs, and my Time )

#9 ·
Yep, so we are pretty much on the same page. I especially agree with your third paragraph. I've hit sheer, black ice before when the roads looked completely fine and with my snow tires it still took hundreds of feet to stop on the-luckily straight- downhill. It was a main road too, but late at night when no one was around. It was also during a salt shortage. That's where studded tires would come in handy .

Edit: nor am I claiming that studded tires give license to drive as.fast as one would on dry.

#10 ·
A little late to the party but here goes.
I got my 2015 in January and here in KY we had a horrible snow storm in February that dumped 26" on us. The Outback with the Bridgestone Duelers, worked very well!
Granted, not as well as a dedicated snow tire, but they did extremely well. We also had some freezing rain and the traction was very good as well.
For an all around tire they work very well. If you're a ski nut and want to get into the mountains during the winter then get a set of Blizzak tires. they are the worlds best winter tires. Just make sure you keep track of tire position and don't get them mixed up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.