Lowered Outback = Legacy, so WHY? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 113 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

Car: 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2CRDi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lowered Outback = Legacy, so WHY?

I understand all about buying a normal car and lowering the suspension for lots of good reasons. I also understand about buying a car and raising the suspension for different but equally good reasons

I simply don't understand why anyone buys an Outback (which is just a Legacy with raised suspension) and then lowers the suspension.

Can someone please enlighten me as why this is desirable - other than the fact that there's an existing Outback around which is cheaper to convert than selling and buying a Legacy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 113 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 02:18 AM

Car: 2012 Forester Limited, 1973 MG Midget
When it all boils down, someone can do whatever they want with their own car. But there are options that the Outback, that were not available on the regular Legacy (in North America anyway).

For instance, the only way to get the H6 engine was through the Outback. Unless one opted for a Legacy GT Limited (of which there aren't many), the only way to get the All Weather Package was through the Outback. Same with the leather interior, only available on the Legacy GT Limited or the Outback Limited.

Really though, your last point sums it up. If you already have a car that you've invested time and money into, and the lifted suspension doesn't suit your needs for a stronger road handling car, why go through the trouble of selling what you have and then having to buy another. Change out the suspension to suit your needs.

Just like raising the Outback, lowering it is completely reversible, so why not. I raised mine 1.5-2 inches all around and it handles much better than stock on the RalliTEK and H6 springs, and the KYB GR2 struts. However, if and when I complete my H6 swap, that may change. I may lower the car for more on-road handling.
post #3 of 113 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 09:10 AM
Chief Squirrel Counter

I could ask the question why do people lift their Outback? If you want an off-road car why not start with something more suitable. The reasons however are exactly the same as why people lower their Outback. Better handling for the way they want to drive their car, they like the way it looks, they want to be different from others, etc, etc, etc.

For me I don't own a Legacy and can't buy one if I wanted to. But to get better on-road handling my only real choice is to lower my Outback. (which will probably never happen because why not start with a more suitable car for handling?) IMHO Outbacks are great cars from the factory, I just wish people would stop bashing those that want to lower them.
post #4 of 113 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 09:24 AM

Car: 2008 2.5 outback L.L. Bean
There has been no legacy wagon since 05 in the U.S. So lowering an outback makes it possible to have one. Also, your outback is 1" lower than the U.S. spec. which means you are driving a lowered outback to us. The extra 1" gives worse handling due to both raised center of gravity, and arcing the lower control arms 1" further past horizontal. which upsets the geometry as the suspension cycles.
post #5 of 113 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 11:21 AM

Car: 2005 Outback H6 3.0 LL Bean
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The only reason I can see is if you want a turbo 05-09 wagon ala Legacy GT, you have to get an Outback XT and lower it.
post #6 of 113 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 11:21 AM
Legionairre

Car: 2009 2.5i SE & 1978 FJ40
I think there is a segment of the population who just love to modify their rides period.

Some do it for handling, some for specific performance needs and others will do it for the fashion statement. To each his own as the saying goes.

I went to a lot of trouble raising my FJ40: I swapped the leaf springs, put the springs on top of the axles, changed the mounts, added a shackle reversal, added longer shocks, added $700 in longer travel drive lines, etc, etc. But my FJ40 can accommodate 36" mud tires and sits a good six or seven inches taller than stock. The off road articulation is incredible.

Others will take trucks and spend tons of money lowering them.

One of the reasons I chose my new 09 OB (proud new owner for four days now) is the height, shape and ground clearance it has stock. The last thing I would ever do is lower it, but power to those who want to do so...
Boxerwerks likes this.
post #7 of 113 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2CRDi
Quote:
Originally posted by pkor
There has been no legacy wagon since 05 in the U.S. So lowering an outback makes it possible to have one. Also, your outback is 1" lower than the U.S. spec. which means you are driving a lowered outback to us. The extra 1" gives worse handling due to both raised center of gravity, and arcing the lower control arms 1" further past horizontal. which upsets the geometry as the suspension cycles.
The European Outback is 0.5" lower than the US version, mainly due to smaller rolling radius tyres fitted - suspension geometry aren't very different although spring/damper/anti-roll bars are.

I take your point about the lack of Legacy Tourer and/or turbo versions.
post #8 of 113 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 12:54 PM

Car: 09 Tribeca Limited
1. Engine options legacies did not come with h6 till now
2. Larger wheels/tires overall diameter
3. Body sheet metal is different allowing to run more aggressive wheels
4. Misc options like heated mirrors wipers etc
5. Availability in some places aren't too many subarus in general
6. Aesthetics i like outback sedans more than legacies

Those are my reasons
post #9 of 113 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 04:20 PM

Car: 2010 2.5i Limited, CVT
I was actually looking for a Legacy wagon, but had easier time finding outbacks for some reason, and I had planned on lowering it. I actually like the two tone look only available w/ outbacks and I think outbacks have lower body line than Legacies.
post #10 of 113 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 02:43 PM

Car: '05 OBXTL 5MT
...ooooh...oooh....I have a reason why someone **might** want to lower their OB (although I haven't done it):

"Utter disappointment in the stock OB suspension and a desperate attempt by any means necessary to make it handle more like a car instead of a jello mold"

Just sayin'!

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: