Brake Rotors on 2007 Outback - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-12-2010, 11:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2007 Outback 2.5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Brake Rotors on 2007 Outback

Hello Again!
I own a 2007 Outback, and recently brought it in for Oil change / Rotation / State Inspection. The brake pads were pretty well worn, and because of a discount on the lifetime parts, I figured I would have them do the pads. The rotors looked good, so I figured I would leave them on to see how the car responded with the new pads only. Well, long story short - I will need to replace the rotors.
I have never done this on the Subaru, and was wondering if someone could walk me thru any steps, tips, tricks, or 'gotchas'. I have done this a couple of times on older cars, but not on anything as new as my Outback.
Thanks in advance for your help...
amajr316 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2010, 09:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2008 Outback 2.5i

you will probably need to small metric bolts to push the rotors off of the hubs bc of rust. The park brake is inside the rear drums, so remember to block the front wheels and disengage the park brake. If you need to retract the (parking) brake shoes even more, you can use the adjuster to pull them inwards. Also the rear drums are not auto adjusting, so you will need to move the adjuster manually.
arthuruscg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2010, 03:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2007 Outback; 2012 Impreza

Get a legacy Haynes book and follow the directions for changing the rotors. I just did that and they are pretty clear. Ditto on the metric bolts; the Haynes manual will alert you to the right size and it works slick. The bolts act as a wheel puller if the rotor is stuck. Because the parking brakes are small shoes / drums within the rear rotor assemblies, they can stick. Not a complex job but it does require a little patience and a good blue vocabulary.

And don't do what I did. I got the whole thing done and was walking around in my clogs cleaning up the tools and lost my balance. I stepped back and stepped on the steel rod I had bent to hold the caliper from hanging whilst apart. Problem was, I stepped backward to regain my balance and literally stepped out of my shoe, landing on the steel rod with 225 pounds of bare weekend mechanic's foot. Impaled my foot but good, right in the bottom of the arch.

So don't do that.
ThecaffeinatedOne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2010, 04:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 01 Outback LL Bean

I find a sledge hammer can be used as well to persuade rotors off of a hub. (Assuming you are not going to need the rotors anymore...)
Glennda5id is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2010, 06:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennda5id View Post
I find a sledge hammer can be used as well to persuade rotors off of a hub. (Assuming you are not going to need the rotors anymore...)
True it only took a slight tap from a heavy hammer to knock mine loose
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2010, 07:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2008 Outback 2.5i

Using bolts to extract the rotors is even easier then a sledge hammer. I was easy using the air ratchet to remove the rotors. I didn't even have to get up from the rolling chair.
arthuruscg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: