Subaru Outback Forums banner

2011 Subby Doo 110K Strut Change?

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Searay45db 
#1 ·
So, after 110k, want to change out my struts. Maybe more of a proactive move as I get ready to hand over to children. It's hard to tell if they are leaking till I pull the wheel, they are little bouncy, and I have nothing else to keep me aggravated this weekend. Sooooo....

Going with the KYB. Even though the strut bearings are not having problems, is this something worth changing since I have the struts out?
I don't need a lift or a drop, but stay with the spring that's in it? New member, your advice is really valuable. Thanks!

#2 ·
With moderate use the strut tops and springs last 200,000 miles easily.

They're generally pointless to think about replacing without a compelling reason.

If you're talking about a 2001 with lots of rust, you tow a 3,000 pound load frequently, and drive awful dirt pothole infested roads every day where it gets pounded...it's worth considering.

A 2011 you're giving to your kids - I'm just going to guess you're not even on the same plane as that fanciful description.

#3 ·
I recently purchased an 03 OBW with 161000 miles and couldn't tell the struts were bad until I got it up to speed and tried to maneuver on the highway, only then could I verify the struts where gone. The car was floating all over the road!

At 5 yrs and 110000 miles it sounds like a lot of highway miles? That might give you another 15 to 25k on them. Are you doing the work yourself? Are the kids in town or far away?

If it were me I'd just do the struts all around and leave the mounts and springs alone, they should be fine. I'd also double check the ball joints, tie rod ends, LCA bushings, and end links. All those are easy to replace "while you're in there" and doing any of those items now would be a very proactive move.

#8 ·
So talking with the people at shck where House, the Ex cel G's are an upgrade to whats on there. They certainly should exceed 110k. For $50 bucks, putting in Moog Toppers is a nice upgrade. So not that leaves the dilemma of I will be doing another repair on the springs with good struts and toppers down the road.

Didn't even look at how much they go for, might not be worth it. Suspension as ya all know is critical. Do a big time upgrade and call it a day for another 200k?

Thoughts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.