2011 Shock/Strut advice - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2011 Shock/Strut advice

Hi guys,

I have a 2011 2.5l Premium with about 88k on it. The ride has been progressively worsening with increased nose and tail dive on starts/stops, bottoming out in the rear on speed bumps, and a clunking up front over bumps that I cannot track down, it almost sounds like the front suspension bottoming out on itself somewhere.

I haven't torn into the problems yet as it's snowy and nasty here, but I am guessing it's time for new shocks/struts. I have a couple questions:

- What is the average lifespan of the 2011 shocks/struts? Does 88k seem appropriate?
- Are there other items I should consider as the problem besides the shocks/struts?
- What brand/model do you recommend as replacement? I don't mind spending a bit more to get an improved product over OEM. We plan to keep this car until it falls apart.

Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP and 2002 3.0 L.L. Bean wagons.
You want KYB. And 88K is low or right depending on usage. I have 161K on Kaylee's factory parts and one is starting to leak. Mal had leaking struts at 100K but seems to have been driven pretty rough by the previous owner.

Have you tried using the Google search bar at the top of the forum?

2003 Outback 2.5 wagon: "Kaylee". 161,000 and counting.
More rust than I care to think about. And leaking head gaskets. And electrical gremlins. Still flyin'.

2002 L.L. Bean Limited 3.0 Outback wagon: "Mal". 110,000 and counting.
Plenty of battle scars and fixing up the previous owner's neglect.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Do you guys recommend a full shock/spring change, or just the shocks?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 11:30 PM

My 2010 is at 83k it was never very damped to start with. I'm going to go with 2015 stock gear. Subaru switch things up on the 15 to fix the old floaty boat ride the Ob had 2010-14. KBY I think will give too choppy of a ride for wifes tastes. Or I might just wait and get a GMC Canyon Diesel in a yr or two.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 08:13 AM

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, Tribeca, XT6
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
+1 to KYB
No need to replace the springs or anything else.

2011 and 88k is early for average daily driver use.
But if the car sees rough roads, gravel, spirited driving, towing, hauling, multiple passengers, twisty roads, that's certainly more work which tires me out too.

H6 OBW VDC, H6 OB Sedan, Tribeca, Lifted XT6
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 03:38 PM

Car: 11 Outback 2.5i AT, 09 Forester 2.5i AT
The KYB strut should be fine, but i would personally replace the strut top hat while you've got it apart. It would suck to have to replace them soonish and pay for an alignment all over again.

MY11 OB 2.5i AT
MY09 Forester 2.5i AT
MY09 Honda CBR600RR
MY10 Forester 2.5i MT (sold)
MY09 Impreza 2.5i MT (sold)
MY02 Leggy Wagon 2.5i AT (sold)
MY98 Forester 2.5i MT (sold)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grossgary View Post
+1 to KYB
No need to replace the springs or anything else.

2011 and 88k is early for average daily driver use.
But if the car sees rough roads, gravel, spirited driving, towing, hauling, multiple passengers, twisty roads, that's certainly more work which tires me out too.
Michigan roads (which are terrible) and I haul a bit of gear/tools here and there. I wouldn't consider it a hard use vehicle, but the ride kinda sucks right now. I think tossing a few hundred bucks and knowing it will be good for another 80k+ is worth it.

Will report back, thanks for the help guys. Who is the preferred vendor for shocks?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFin04 View Post
Michigan roads (which are terrible) and I haul a bit of gear/tools here and there. I wouldn't consider it a hard use vehicle, but the ride kinda sucks right now. I think tossing a few hundred bucks and knowing it will be good for another 80k+ is worth it.

Will report back, thanks for the help guys. Who is the preferred vendor for shocks?
Hey T I'm pretty sure the springs on the 15's are slightly beefier than the springs you and I have. Thats one major reason I'm thinking of doing a stock replacement both shock and spring at least on the rear anyway. I haul gear too and no doubt the old stuff is a little saggy and done.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 08:07 PM

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, Tribeca, XT6
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Rockauto
Amazon
eBay

Advanced auto and use an online discount code.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 01:30 PM

Car: 2013 Outback 2.5 Limited CVT
Hey there,

I'm about in the same boat. Just hitting 90,000 on my 2013 (mine since about 70,000). I really have no idea how the previous owner drove it, although clearly lots of long distance trips based on age and mileage. I'm considering replacing mine since I intend to install a lift kit this spring. Not that I'm flush with cash, but considering the mileage and as since I'll have them out might as well replace them. Save some work so I'm good to go for another 60-80,000. I too was curious about different options, upgrades, but the company I intend to buy the lift from recommended the OEM KYB struts. Their opinion was the performance was just fine, there are also not a ton of options that I've found.

My question is what other parts, if any, should I replace along with them? I saw someone suggest above doing the top hats. I think I will keep the springs, unless I find a problem, or decide to go with some rallitek or king springs! But I'm not sure if any other bits should be replaced. Thoughts?

btw, looks to me like subaru online parts has the best price going for the struts...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: