Subaru Outback Forums banner

And now, for something completely different...

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  1 Lucky Texan 
#1 ·
Mattracks!

We've seen a seemingly endless number of threads on "what's the best mud/snow tire?" Does anyone know if these, or something like them, have been fitted on a Subaru Outback?

#5 ·
probably cheaper to buy a used pair of snowmobiles with a trailer and a good old half ton 4x4 to tow it. (or just put them up in the bed)

when I have looked into such things around 2010 when they were getting a lot of press, getting such things to turn would be hard. like the roads you are on better be straight, and you might need a chainsaw to remove some saplings to turn around.

here is a hummer H1 with them going straight,....lots of moving parts there to get sticks/ stones in them too. (they don't look to be made for hard continuous work like a small track excavator)

I think the tires they picked to get stuck in were not the right ones.

vs. the ultra-wide low pressure balloon things the old Top Gear show used to go to the arctic circle in the red toyotas.

#7 ·
probably cheaper to buy a used pair of snowmobiles with a trailer and a good old half ton 4x4 to tow it. (or just put them up in the bed)

when I have looked into such things around 2010 when they were getting a lot of press, getting such things to turn would be hard. like the roads you are on better be straight, and you might need a chainsaw to remove some saplings to turn around.

here is a hummer H1 with them going straight,....lots of moving parts there to get sticks/ stones in them too. (they don't look to be made for hard continuous work like a small track excavator)

I think the tires they picked to get stuck in were not the right ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkleAMR3IyI

vs. the ultra-wide low pressure balloon things the old Top Gear show used to go to the arctic circle in the red toyotas.

Red Toyota Pickup Truck
The reason I asked is we were on a Christmas trip to Yellowstone Park. Most of the park is closed to standard wheeled vehicles in winter, and we got around in a tracked 15-passenger 4X4 van, small tracked bus (4X4 van conversion?), and a 4X4 15-passenger van with with oversized tires.

The wheeled van was always between the two tracked vehicles when we were traveling; it had some limitations the tracked vehicles did not, but it was smoother and quieter to ride in. The tracked vehicles really slurped fuel down, too.

The drivers said that you simply cannot turn the front tracks unless the vehicle is moving, but they didn't have trouble negotiating turns at road intersections, the turnaround in front of the lodge, or backing into and getting out of perpendicular parking places. I noticed that the TPMS warning in the tracked van was lit; the driver said "yeah... they're flat on three sides" har!

Seeing these made me idly interested in to know if were possible to fit tracks onto our AWD vehicles. There's no way I'd actually do it, but it's fun to imagine...

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.