Subaru Outback Forums banner

Emergency Brake Problem: Constant Rubbing

22K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  The_Lizard 
#1 ·
All right my fellow Suby Gurus,

I got a question here. Got my brakes done (at shop, my HOA prohibits car repair on property). New pads, turned rotors. After proper bedding-in brakes work fantastically, BUT noticed quite loud rubbing noise from rear brakes. Took car back to the shop, complained. They put it on the lift, started: loud metal on metal rubbing noise from both rear wheels. Suspected improper pads install. Removed pads, blocked pistons. Ran again with no pads: definitely emergency brakes pads are rubbing on the inside of the rotor. Asked mechanic if they "adjusted or touched pads adjuster", he said "yes, but it should be working fine". Removed rotors: inside is very smooth and shiny: definitely rubbing issue. Cleaned whole assembly from dust and rust with Brakes Cleaner Spray (no lube was put anywhere), put back together - still noise. Removed rotors, adjusted pads all the way in with 1 full turn out for adjustment. Still rubbing. Released some tension from brake cable lever. Still rubbing. Mechanics told me they have no idea what is wrong and will have to charge me if I want whole thing to be "professionally repaired". Guess where I suggested them to go and what to do with themselves!!

So, I found an abandoned parking lot and decided to do the JOB myself. Now I need advice on what to do: disassemble emergency brakes assembly, regrease it and put back together or what?

Car: Subaru Outback 2.5i (XT drivetrain).

Thank you all in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
After seven years you may be looking at some rusted or frozen parts. The shop _should_ have told you if they saw any issues, but it sounds like they are a bunch of idiots....

I suggest you first disconnect both cables at the brake arm on each emergency brake. Spin the tire and work the arm back and forth to see if the dragging goes away. If the arm is tight there is rust binding the shaft, so you will have to take everything apart to clean and grease it. DON'T just spray a bunch of penetrating oil in there or it will contaminate the shoe linings!

If the arms rotate freely, try backing out the star adjusters 10 clicks and see if the dragging goes away. Normally you tighten the adjusters until the drum can't be turned, then back out 4 clicks. If you can't get things working with them adjusted right, you will have to disassemble the brakes to see what is binding.

Someone may have tried to tighten the E brake by adjusting the cable instead of the star wheels - this is WRONG and you will have to make sure the cable isn't holding the arms out of position.

BTW, there should be lube on the threads of the adjusters and under the shoes where they touch the backing plates - don't run them completely dry.

Drum brakes suck, I hate working on them, and I usually bleed some....

According to the manual, there are four possible causes of brake drag:

Lever adjusted wrong.
Cable binding.
Shoe clearance incorrect.
Return spring faulty.

If you need service info, PM me with an email address and I can send you some pdfs from the factory manual for a '07 model.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.