vibration during acceleration - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-06-2012, 09:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default vibration during acceleration

I need help.... I have a 2005 outback 4 cyl. The car vibrates during acceleration. From a stop or just driving down the road. Does not matter what speed your driving. If you take your foot off the gas the vibration stops. It's not a really bad vibration but it seems to be getting worse. You CAN NOT feel it in the steering wheel. I have had a alignment, rotation, etc.... There is no popping when turning so I don't think it's the cv joints and the boots are fine. There is no noise during the vibration. I was thinking maybe the drive shaft? Please someone help! Thanks......
sp8graphics is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2012, 04:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2.5 Outback'04 European

I have the same problem. But it appears at speed(when accelerating) about 30 -40 km/h. I didn't figured out what is a problem.
Naucha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
I was thinking maybe the drive shaft?
Possible.

Insert the AWD disabling fuse and then try it.

The use of the fuse is described in your Owners Manual in the section on replacing a flat tire with the compact spare. The fuse is inserted into a specific socket in the fuse panel in the engine compartment. When it's installed, the AWD warning light on the instrument panel should come on. This indicates that the AWD is not working -- the car is basically front wheel drive only.

This isn't a conclusive test, but if the symptom disappears with the fuse installed, there's a good chance the rear propeller shaft is faulty, probably the U-joint. Final diagnosis can only be done by dropping the shaft and checking for stiffness or slack in the joints.

Let us know what you find.
plain OM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2010 OBW limited 2.5 CVT

I doubt that will work as the shaft will still be rotating and the joints binding as the car moves. I would say that if it dissapears with the fuse in, it more likely points to an issue with the transfer clutch/duty solenoid. How many miles on the car? Any fluid changes performed or still on the origional fluid? Try the fuse trick and let us know what the answers to those questions are.

Also, check the tires very well. One could have a broken or slipping belt that could cause a vibration.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Forester Limited, 1973 MG Midget

For what it's worth, the PO of my car replaced the driveshaft and carrier bearing assembly due to a vibration on acceleration issue. I believe is was a $1000 dollar repair he had done, with a new OEM driveshaft assembly going for about $700.
bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2012, 12:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default Trans fluid

The fluid was last changed at 96,000 miles. I have 121,000 on it now. I tried the AWD fuse and no difference. Had two places check out tires they said they were fine. Hope it's not a 1,000.00 fix.
sp8graphics is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2012, 07:18 AM   #7 (permalink)

Diagnosing noises or vibrations at a distance is more challenging because there's no way to experience the symptom.

The fact that it appears only when accelerating but not when coasting (even though the full drive train is still turning) is possibly a key.

It could still be a driveshaft problem that is exacerbated when under additional torque due to acceleration, but is still there but not as noticeable when coasting.

Another possibility is the motor and transmission mounts -- the latter especially, if broken, can allow the tail end of the transmission to shift when accelerating, causing the drive shaft orientation to change.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:52 AM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 2000 Outback

I also had a similar problem in my 2000 OB. Inserting the 4wd fuse made no difference during the diagnosis of my vibration. I took it to the dealer when I couldn't figure it out. I don't think the mechanic made it out of the parking lot when he turned around and told me the center differential was my problem. So I went to the parts counter and ordered one for $500, and then replaced it myself.
That fixed it for me.

@Wagondude: if the rotating driveshaft were spinning with no load and it was still vibrating, I don't think this thread would have even been started. A u-joint that bad is very obvious.
obe12obe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't think the mechanic made it out of the parking lot when he turned around and told me the center differential was my problem.
There's no center differential in the Subaru 4-speed (4EAT) automatic transmission. The transfer clutch, which is used in the 4-speed automatic, can fail in a binding condition. When this happens, the car will exhibit "torque bind" symptoms, which manifest as apparent hesitation, wheel hop or shaking when the car is going around a tight corner/turn at low speed. However, a binding transfer clutch will not cause vibration when going straight provided all four tires are the same circumference and both the front and rear differentials are identical gear ratios.

The mechanic probably made a tight turn and immediately noticed the torque bind symptoms.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Outback 3.0R LLB

Have the axles been replaced?
clyde_smiff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: