Snow tires? - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-12-2012, 01:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

Car: 2010 2.5i
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Do you have to commute downtown or is it all local driving on the West side? If you stay on the West side and don't have to travel on fast (40+mph) multi-lane roads when it's really snowing out, you could probably get through alright.

I run snow tires now, but my first winter 2 years ago on brand new stock continentals (that winter was one of the worst in recent years), I had an hour commute through the snow belt (South->North). Driving with other people on the roads when snow is around is always scary no matter how much traction you have, so I started leaving at 4am on days where heavy snowfall was predicted (often before the snow plows were out in force) to avoid being on the roads with all the people who know their cars are impaired after the 10% of "invincible" drivers learn the hard way that they have the same limitations as everyone else and make for an awful mess. I never had an issue getting going or stopping when I was on the road before the plows were out in force--but then again, I made sure there were significantly fewer people to hit or be hit by. I do run snows now though for the added security and ability to better perform evasive maneuvers when an "invincible" driver in a Cavalier without snow tires decides to pass me and the line of cars in front of me at highway speeds in the third lane that no longer exists (due to not being plowed or driven on for the past half-day with constant snow fall) and... I'm sure you can imagine what would probably happen next.

In summary, the issue is not so much getting stuck (though it is certainly possible) as it is the added ability to perform an evasive maneuver when you need to (including stopping, which tdelker mentions). Well worth the money in my opinion.
statueim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 01:28 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdelker View Post
It's not the go, it's the stop that's most important with snow tires in my opinion. $750 for a set with winter tires with wheels is well worth it. Yes, they have lower mileage life than summer tires, about 1/2 if you buy the x-ice 2 vs defender and about the same price. Cost per mile extra is then just about 1c/mile. Not an insignificant cost, but $350 every 80,000 miles (1/2 with winter tires on) is worth the extra safety in my opinion.

I don't worry about stopping. The car in front of me usually helps me with that part.
jesseP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #13 (permalink)

Car: 2009 2.5i Special Edition 4EAT and AWP

After sliding around town today (somewhat on purpose to test the tires on the car), I took the plunge and bought a set of Michelin X-Ice Xi3's. I've always been a believer in good all-seasons, and if it were only me, I would still be, but the wife (who grew up with studded tires in winter) is nervous on ice, and I guess a little peace of mind isn't bad. $70 rebate + another $70 off (matched by store) helped. I hope it's worth it.
PanJet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 03:19 PM   #14 (permalink)

Car: 2000 Subaru Outback 5speed

I was wondering this same question. Seeing i live right outside of cleveland o.o
Nightblade897 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 04:22 PM   #15 (permalink)

Car: Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited

If you do get winter tires, I suggest getting them mounted on wheels. Tire rack mounts and balances a package set for free, making it a very good deal. That costs about $50-70 each swap, plus the first time. The wheels pay for themselves after 2 years, you can resell them when you're done AND you don't have to wait 4 hours at the tire shop to swap them on that first day of snow fall

Tom
tdelker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 04:29 PM   #16 (permalink)

Car: 2009 2.5i Special Edition 4EAT and AWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdelker View Post
If you do get winter tires, I suggest getting them mounted on wheels. Tire rack mounts and balances a package set for free, making it a very good deal. That costs about $50-70 each swap, plus the first time. The wheels pay for themselves after 2 years, you can resell them when you're done AND you don't have to wait 4 hours at the tire shop to swap them on that first day of snow fall

Tom
I was going to go that route, but I decided against it, at least for now. The shop I got my tires at will do the swaps for free for the life of the snow tires if you buy from them, so I couldn't justify the extra cost of a second set of wheels. They were a little higher in price than tires+wheels from Tire Rack, but including the time/cost of changing wheels spring and fall; having working, calibrated TPMS without having to buy a second set of sensors; plus supporting a local shop was worth it to me. I'm told removing/remounting the tires on one set of wheels won't hurt them enough to make a difference. Owner of the shop only has one set of wheels on their personal OB using snow tires.

Here's to my learning curve being new to snow tires.
PanJet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 04:55 PM   #17 (permalink)

Car: Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited

Good deal! I haven't seen free swapping before!

Tom
tdelker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #18 (permalink)

Car: 2010 2.5i

If you do get a set of winter rims eventually, I highly recommend looking for people dumping OEM rims that they don't want on here/craigslist/eBay during the months where fewer people think about snow tires (such as the summer). I picked up a set of 16" alloy '04 Impreza rims for $227 including shipping in great shape off eBay a few months ago (cheaper than you can get 4 16" steel wheels new on tire rack before shipping). If I could have done local pickup, I'd have gotten them for even more of a steal at $102.
statueim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 11:03 PM   #19 (permalink)

Car: 2007 Outback XT Ltd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJet View Post
The shop I got my tires at will do the swaps for free for the life of the snow tires if you buy from them,
SNIP
I'm told removing/remounting the tires on one set of wheels won't hurt them enough to make a difference.
Hooray for the first part. That alone is worth at least $120 per year - dismount, mount and balance.

The second statement is not true. The tire machines put a lot of wear and tear on the wheels, twice a year, and the tech rips off the old weights and installs new ones, which also affects the finish. Although if the wheels are old you may not care if the finish gets hurt. Also there is risk of damaging your TPMS sensors, and I doubt that they will replace a damaged one for no charge.

If your wheels are nice they are going to get a lot of deicer damage, one advantage to a set of cheap dedicated winter wheels.

OTH you have bought an excellent set of tires! I just bought a set of those for my Acura TL and they are so new I can't tell how the traction is. When the mold release compound is worn off the tread, they will no doubt be as competent as the older version. Be careful on yours for the first couple of hundred miles.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA
Old 11-12-2012, 11:44 PM   #20 (permalink)

Car: 2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.

Actually the more a tire is mounted and demounted the weaker the sidewall and bead of the tire gets they have more of a propensity to rip. A ripped bead is no fun. If installed a ripped bead can lead to a sidewall bulge and possible blow out.
1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 194,000 miles, L26/L67 hybrid, 4T65E-HD with ZZP shift kit, GMPP front sway bar, GMPP front and rear STBs, lowered, 17inch Comp G wheels, SD headers, FWI, Autolite 104 plugs, custom DHP tune - Toy/money pit
| W-body.com Car of the Quarter 2nd Quarter 2013

Love: it's what makes a Subaru, a Subaru
SE95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: