Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring v. Cooper CS4 Touring - '09 3.0R - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-29-2012, 04:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring v. Cooper CS4 Touring - '09 3.0R

I picked up an '09 OB 3.0R this summer that the seller had recently reshod with some Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring tires. I know these are a fairly low priced tire and they seem to ride that way. Unsure if this is the tire I want to leave on this winter. This is my commuter car and our winters (Boise, ID) tend to have a wide variety of weather/road conditions - dry, snow, ice, wet - you name it. I also will be driving up to our local ski area on a 15 mile windy, narrow road that can get really slick. I don't want or need a separate set of snows - I did that on my last OB and the Blizzaks weren't enough of an upgrade over all season radials in terms of grip to justify the cost and I usually don't keep a car more than 3 years. Thinking of dumping the Uniroyals for a set of Cooper CS4's. I had these on a New Beetle a few years ago and they seemed to be a decent tire. (I also have a set of Cooper UHPAS on my Mini and they're fantastic tires.)

Thoughts? Anybody else use the Uniroyals in snowy/icy conditions? That's my primary concern - they seem to do OK in dry and wet.
Idahobaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 04:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2006 Outback Wagon 2.5i 5spd MT Atlantic Blue Pearl

The Blizzaks weren't enough of an upgrade? What model Blizzak did you use, and what were the all season radials that you're comparing them against? I pretty much see that as either a) the most amazing a/s tires ever, or b) the Blizzaks were as bad as an a/s tire in the snow, which based on my experience (WS-60 and WS-70), can't possibly be true.

If you search the forum, you'll find that the Nokian WRG2 is recommended as a snow tire that can do the other three seasons, and the Primacy MXV4 is probably the best three season tire that can handle some snow. Both are officially listed as "all season" tires. I hear good things about the CS4, as well as Hankook's Optimo H727, but snow and ice? Sorry.....that's Blizzak and X-Ice territory.
NGK Iridium Plugs
Everstart Maxx 35N Battery
beachedwhale42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 05:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

The Blizzaks were an upgrade for my '02 OB over the Potenza's, just not the most economically sound decision for somebody like me who keeps cars for short periods of time. I hear good things about the Primacy. Might just run the Uniroyals for a little while this winter and see how they do. Thankls!
Old 01-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

I ended up ditching the Uniroyals and put on a new set of Primacy MXV4's. Quieter, smoother, grippier and reduced rolling resistance. The roads have been terrible - hardpack/broken snow and ice - for the last month and they've been great in every condition. Well worth the money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: