Snow Chains If... - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2012 OB 2.6 CVT Limited
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Snow Chains If...

I know I'll never use them, but I have to carry chains in California. I going to buy SCC Super Z 6 chains. My question is; Subaru recommends using chains on the front axle only. Does it make sense to have and use chains on all 4 wheels, or is 25 miles at 25 mph ok to have different tire diameters with the awd? 2012 Limited CVT. From what I can find, I should use SZ139. Does anyone actually have experience with this chain. I've seen reviews that say SCC's size charrts are
incorrect.
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP.
Search and find:

When to use snow chains
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...endations.html
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...chains-ob.html
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...ow-chains.html
Cable snow chains?
Snow Chains/Cables

Among a dozen or more others...

2003 Outback wagon: "Kaylee". 144,000 and counting.
Basics: Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5W30, PureOne oil filter, Fram air filter, Valvoline Maxlife Dex/Merc ATF, Mobil 1 75W90, Michelin Primacy MXV4.
Mods: 2004 Forester XT shift knob, Fumoto oil drain valve, Phillips VisionPlus low beams, Phillips HIR1 high beam upgrade, Nokya Hyper Yellow 2500K fog lights.

Also: More rust than I care to think about.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Those threads all contain some good info, but not about front axle or both axles which is my main question. Will I damage the diffferential if I just do the front axle?
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 11:50 PM

Car: 2007 OBXT Limited, 5MT 140K
CA DMV recommends all four if possible. Failing that, chain the front wheels unless the OEM suggests otherwise.

Subaru says put them on the rear. You do what you think is right.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCorn View Post
CA DMV recommends all four if possible. Failing that, chain the front wheels unless the OEM suggests otherwise.

Subaru says put them on the rear. You do what you think is right.

Actually for 2012 Subaru says "traction device of S class can be used on front axle only". My question is about the effect on the differentials with traction devices on only 1 axle.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 12:22 AM

Actually I typed that too fast. DMV/DOT says put them on the rear. Subie says Front. Both have implications.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCorn View Post
Actually I typed that too fast. DMV/DOT says put them on the rear. Subie says Front. Both have implications.

California DMV says rear of what the manufacturer says. My question isn't about front or rear it's about front or both. Maybe no one has ever put chains on a Subaru, but if you have please share your results.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by selenski View Post
California DMV says rear of what the manufacturer says. My question isn't about front or rear it's about front or both. Maybe no one has ever put chains on a Subaru, but if you have please share your results.
I typed too fast too. DMV says rear OR what the manufacturer says.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
I bought a set so they're "in the car" but I expect to never need them. In CA, CHP will close the road if conditions require chains on 4WD. The exception is in a national park, like Yosemite, where CHP doesn't have jurisdiction. That's the only place I've ever seen chains required on 4WD and it was only for about an hour.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
I know I'll never use them, but I have to carry chains in California. I going to buy SCC Super Z 6 chains. My question is; Subaru recommends using chains on the front axle only. Does it make sense to have and use chains on all 4 wheels, or is 25 miles at 25 mph ok to have different tire diameters with the awd? 2012 Limited CVT. From what I can find, I should use SZ139. Does anyone actually have experience with this chain. I've seen reviews that say SCC's size charrts are
incorrect.
Joe
Joe
#1 - Front wheels ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
25mph is probably too fast for all cars with chains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#2 DO NOT CHAIN UP ALL 4!!!

First off the road conditions that will force the Subaru to chain up will be so slick that any tire size difference caused by a cable which by the way - does not happen - is negated by the simple fact that the road surface is so slick that any tire with enough load on it to cause harm to the drive system will simply slide over the slick road surface anyway.

Due to the tight clearance on the Subaru I would never drive faster than 15-20mph and I would rubber strap the **** out of the cables to keep them as tight as possible.

NEVER!!!! Put cables on your subaru unless the chain monkey's actually stop you and tell you to chain up!

Yes good All season tires + the Subaru AWD system is that good and your safer without cables vs having them. Chains and cables pose a whole new set of risks to a vehicle especially with tight clearance and drivers who do not install them tight and drive too fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: