TPMS Newbie - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-04-2012, 06:57 PM   #11 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default I ordered them..

Quote:
Originally Posted by subiesailor View Post
Then spend the money for the right TPMS sensors - just a warning they aren't cheap and the cheap one's will still end up lighting up your dash ;-)

As I said spend your money wisely in this case - be ready to bend over for sensors that work.

Your dash has plenty of lights on it all the time whats wrong with the tire light being on during the winter?
I ordered Schrader EZ-Sensors $48 each.. but to take the sting out of it, I signed up for the amazon credit card to save $50.. so its $140 for the 4 of them delivered. Costco, where I bought the tires, has the Bartec 400 that can program them (but admittedly has never done one). I'll be the guinea pig. They used to use some Redi-Sensors but they say they don't work on the OB.

I will report back when all goes well.
new2sub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 07:22 PM   #12 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback Limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2sub View Post
I am told in my state, that light on will fail inspection and my sticker is a 12 (december) ie i have to get this right or go for a mid year inspection to get it in the summer time.
Not sure about offset not mattering.. i've heard conflicting info there too.. Gotta get 48.. doesn't matter.. not sure what to believe..
Don't recommend swapping sensors and risking rough handling and breakage. If triggering the TPMS light doesn't affect other systems like stability or traction control just ignore the light over the winter. Got a fantastic deal for 4 new wheels and tires from TireRack which would have been ruined by adding 4 new sensors. Local DMV passed my Tundra easily despite the TPMS light and just said everything emission is good and nice rims!!
aggreX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 07:39 PM   #13 (permalink)

Car: '14 Subi OBW, '02 Subi OBW, '08 Toyota Sienna

TPMS saved the day two years back. My wife hit some road debris at 65 mph, and within the minute the light came on. She got the van (our Sienna) off the road before the tire was flat. It was quite a big slice, and the tire wasn't saveable. But thanks to the warning, she had the 10 seconds or so required to act. At minimum we saved damage to a rim, quite possibly the van had she lost control, and maybe her and our daughter's life.

It's no different than air bags, ABS & stability control, AWD, etc. If you are a Luddite and don't believe that any of this might just save your life, well, go find something from the 70's and enjoy.

The OP didn't ask your opinion on whether he should ditch or defeat the system. He simply asked how to add additional sensors in an easy to live with and cost effective manner. If you cannot help the man with useful information, back off and leave him alone.

For the Toyota Sienna I bought 4 new TRW (Toyota OEM) sensors off of e-bay for under $100. They are not programmable, and each has a unique ESN. I bought the ATEQ Quickset Tool (yes, another $150), but now I can easily reprogram thru the OBD port at will in my own garage when I swap tire sets. Subaru is listed in their Apps page.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #14 (permalink)

Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibber2 View Post
If you cannot help the man with useful information, back off and leave him alone.
Thanks .. I don't get easily offended on the forums. I am thankful for whatever information I can sift thru and make my own partially educated decision.

I have the Schrader EZ-Sensors in house now. I will have them cloned to my original ids on the "summer" tires/rims and think I did the right thing. My sienna also has TPMS but the "old fashioned" kind using rotation speed of the wheels via the ABS ring I presume. Only time it ever lights up is when I swap my rims/tires there from summer / winter.. They are close in size, both 15" but win: 205/70 vs sum:215/65...~ 8mm off in diameter..
Old 12-09-2012, 08:11 PM   #15 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Save yourself some time at Costco.

According to service media, you have to have a scan tool connected to the car to tell the TPMS system on the car you are registering the sensor to the TPMS & Keyless Module as well as use the transmitter tool at the tire.

That's interesting about the TPMS being a requirement for a safety inspection. What do they do about cars that don't have it? Its like the ABS light being on. ABS is not a safety item, its a convenience add on. If the ABS light is on, in this state, so what. As long as the brake warning light is not on, it can't be failed. I'm thinking it would be the same with the TPMS. Just for clarification, you may want to call the DOT on that one or look it up online for your state.

Some people may be getting screwed over on their inspections. I know of shops in Austin that use the inspection lane as a pressure sale position, "Gotta fix it or it fails", even on unrelated inspection items or vehicles that are over the weight class for emission testing. It happens.
cardoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 08:21 PM   #16 (permalink)

I like the idea of cloned ESN sensors, although I foresee that things could get confusing for the car when you park in the garage with the twin sensors in tires hanging on the wall nearby! Make sure you air them up before they go on hooks, or you will really freak out your wife.

Orange made some clone-able sensors some time back, but then they disappeared. I had only heard limited info on this technology when I began researching it, and at the time felt that OEM was the best (safest) way. Let us know how this works out for you. That kind of feedback on a new thing is always appreciated.

I assume you know the reset procedure for the Sienna (old style revolution counter) for when you swap sets? It should be in your manual, but if not I can post a TSB with further details for you.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:29 PM   #17 (permalink)

Cardoc: It is true, only a few states currently call for TPMS to be operational as a requirement for inspection, but I suspect that others will follow. It takes a while for these things to filter down.

In late 2011, the NHTSA sent a position statement to the Tire Industry Association stating that it was illegal for shops to knowingly assist in the disabling of safety systems regulated under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act. In other words, mounting up a set of tires without TPMS for a vehicle you know requires them violates Federal law. Tire Rack recently added this statement to their ordering system, and says they will not sell a winter tire setup for a modern car without them.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:22 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoc View Post
ABS is not a safety item, its a convenience add on.
While ABS is not a required feature in any state, it is absolutely a safety feature. Anything that reduces stopping distance to avoid collisions is no "convenience add-on".
bigsteve83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 10:59 PM   #19 (permalink)

Car: 2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.

In my old Grand Prix, ABS made stopping worse on anything but perfectly dry pavement! It was a hazardous add on.

Also what state do you live in that requires TPMS to be functional? Here in PA it is not required, and we have a fairly stringent annual safety inspection.

Also for anyone interested, no shop, by law, can install a wheel/tire assembly on your vehicle that doesn't have TPMS sensors if your vehicle is designed to have them.

If you want to "save money" you will have to break the law yourself. It is illegal for ANY shop to disable the TPMS system.
1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 194,000 miles, L26/L67 hybrid, 4T65E-HD with ZZP shift kit, GMPP front sway bar, GMPP front and rear STBs, lowered, 17inch Comp G wheels, SD headers, FWI, Autolite 104 plugs, custom DHP tune - Toy/money pit
| W-body.com Car of the Quarter 2nd Quarter 2013

Love: it's what makes a Subaru, a Subaru
SE95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 06:30 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibber2 View Post
I like the idea of cloned ESN sensors, although I foresee that things could get confusing for the car when you park in the garage with the twin sensors in tires hanging on the wall nearby! Make sure you air them up before they go on hooks, or you will really freak out your wife.

Orange made some clone-able sensors some time back, but then they disappeared. I had only heard limited info on this technology when I began researching it, and at the time felt that OEM was the best (safest) way. Let us know how this works out for you. That kind of feedback on a new thing is always appreciated.

I assume you know the reset procedure for the Sienna (old style revolution counter) for when you swap sets? It should be in your manual, but if not I can post a TSB with further details for you.
I will post when I get them up and running. I will think about the issue with he summer tires nearby.. They don't broadcast a signal until they are rotating supposedly to save battery.. so I think they would appear dormant .

Sienna.. Turn on car.. push and hold button tpms .. wait a bit.. done.. i think..

Tx for your feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: