TPMS Newbie - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-03-2012, 07:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default TPMS Newbie

I just bought a '13 Prem OB and am setting up a separate set of winter tires. I am considering buying the Schrader 3300 315 mhz EZ-Sensors so that I can have them programmed with the original ids from the factory wheels.. so I can swap as I see fit with no trips to anyone to reset anything.

Why is this not the best way to go ? Amazon has the sensors for $47.40 each. Sure I can get the non programmable ones for a little less.. $42.99 at AdvanceAuto before applying the A124 coupon to get $40 off the set.. So it would be about $50 cheaper to get the non programmable Air Aware 28203 sensors.

Any opinions ?

Also.. tirerack steel 16" rims (not ordered yet) with 215/70/16 Blizzak DMV1 from costco ($468 after instant rebate) is what I am going to mount up. I assume tirerack knows the appropriate 48mm offfset and what I order will be that. I have seen folks selling used rims with 55 offsets and I have thought I can't go a different offset. Is 7 mm a killer on the 4th gen OB?

Appreciate anyone's opinions.
new2sub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 09:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2000 Subaru Outback Limited

Why not just get the sensors swapped over? Save you a good penny,I personally have never worked with a aftermarket sensor.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2008 Outback 2.5i

He would have to swap the sensors 2 times a year.

With my 08, i just ignore the light during the winter time.

Also check craigslist for used 16" WRX rims. The offset difference is not enough to worry about. The OB has the wheels pushed outwards to fill the plastic wheel arches.
arthuruscg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 02:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default don't want to swap sensors

Exactly.. don't want to swap sensors out of summer tires.. defeats the whole purpose to some degree of having 2 sets.

I want to swap them in the garage and be done with it.. no need to go anywhere to do any programming.

I have heard conflicting info about whether the car knows where the sensors are or not. Can someone confirm that I can rotate the wheels all I want and the car will not know what wheel position each is ?

That would seal the deal for me to get the EZ-Sensors .. which the place that will mount the tires can program with the factory IDs so both sets look the same to the car.

I get lifetime balance / rotation if I need it from them .. and they would program via the ODB also.. but if I ever just want to swap myself.. this allows me to do so with no lights on dash..

I am told in my state, that light on will fail inspection and my sticker is a 12 (december) ie i have to get this right or go for a mid year inspection to get it in the summer time.

Not sure about offset not mattering.. i've heard conflicting info there too.. Gotta get 48.. doesn't matter.. not sure what to believe..
Old 12-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Who needs sensors to start with? Go with out sensors in the tires that stay on the car the shortest time. Learn to ignore the light on the dash and save your self money. What $300 pick up some Apple stock in the next year or so when it takes a beating and the stock value is knocked back down to reality. LOL
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 04:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default Light on - Fail Inspection

Quote:
Originally Posted by subiesailor View Post
Who needs sensors to start with? Go with out sensors in the tires that stay on the car the shortest time. Learn to ignore the light on the dash and save your self money. What $300 pick up some Apple stock in the next year or so when it takes a beating and the stock value is knocked back down to reality. LOL
I am going to have sensors.. I am not going to have a light on dash that I tell my wife to ignore. I will fail inspection in my state with a light on I am told and my inspection month currently is in the winter (sure i could do it early to get back to a summer inspection time )

Only questions are
(1) Will 315 mhz Schrader EZ-Sensors work fine once programmed with original sensor ids from my factor sensors ? 99.9% sure answer is Y

(2) Am I right that the '13 OB does not know where the tires are so rotations matter not to the tpms system ? 99.9% sure answer is Y

(3) Cheapest place I found EZ sensors is amazon at $47.40 each.. Any better places out there ? ($35 after coupons + shipping (not stocked locally) is cheapest I found the AirAware non programmable schrader from Advance)
Old 12-04-2012, 04:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Really you can't have your All Weather tires on there for your inspection ie pass?
I must like keeping my money more than you. LOL Paid cash for my car own several properties and several cars and absolutely hate spending money on useless crap like this.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

I can have my all weather tires on there as long as I have TPMS sensors in them and they light on the dash is not lit up.. It's very simple. I'm not a "put a black piece of tape over the area of the dash on my new $27,000 car so i can't see the light 5 months of the year " kind of guy. I do seem to be in the minority on the forum however so it seems.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2sub View Post
I can have my all weather tires on there as long as I have TPMS sensors in them and they light on the dash is not lit up.. It's very simple. I'm not a "put a black piece of tape over the area of the dash on my new $27,000 car so i can't see the light 5 months of the year " kind of guy. I do seem to be in the minority on the forum however so it seems.
Then spend the money for the right TPMS sensors - just a warning they aren't cheap and the cheap one's will still end up lighting up your dash ;-)

As I said spend your money wisely in this case - be ready to bend over for sensors that work.

Your dash has plenty of lights on it all the time whats wrong with the tire light being on during the winter?
Old 12-04-2012, 06:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP.

Thread moved to correct forum.

Also: More rust and parking lot scars than I care to think about.
AWDFTW is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: