Rim Stuck to rotors - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:00 PM   #11 (permalink)

Car: 2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

If you're changing wheels for the season, when pulling into the garage or driveway come to a short stop and that also helps break up any tension between the wheel and hub.

And while actually swapping wheels, a wire brush, some paper towels and a small tube of antiseize go a long way. Brush off any existing rust, wipe down the wheel hub and apply a SMALL amount of antiseize and spread it around the hub (like others mentioned above, avoid getting it in the lug holes). Repeat this every time you switch wheels and they'll come off in a pinch.

R o b _D.
Current car: 2013 TB/BC Subaru Outback, 2.5i Premium 6mt
Before you start a new thread, please search first! Learn how here.
----> Thule Locks for Sale!!! <----
AO River is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 02:28 PM   #12 (permalink)

Car: Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited

I thinking lubing the wheel studs is a very low concern. The running torque of lugnuts I put on is in the few ft lbs range at most. When you are torque to 76 ft lbs, what's a few extra ft lbs? It's within the measurement accuracry of your torque wrench. You know, the one you use to put that spare on out in the snow by the side of the road when you change a flat?
tdelker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 02:37 PM   #13 (permalink)

Car: 2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdelker View Post
I thinking lubing the wheel studs is a very low concern. The running torque of lugnuts I put on is in the few ft lbs range at most. When you are torque to 76 ft lbs, what's a few extra ft lbs? It's within the measurement accuracry of your torque wrench. You know, the one you use to put that spare on out in the snow by the side of the road when you change a flat?
It is more than a "few". We're talking a possible difference of 50 or more footpounds. Certainly enough to ruin the stud and risk breaking them. You aren't putting as much torque on the lug nut to get it to tighten the same number of threads. So you tighten it further, stretch the stud, and risk breaking it. This is the same reason why you don't use an impact wrench to install wheels.
1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 194,000 miles, L26/L67 hybrid, 4T65E-HD with ZZP shift kit, GMPP front sway bar, GMPP front and rear STBs, lowered, 17inch Comp G wheels, SD headers, FWI, Autolite 104 plugs, custom DHP tune - Toy/money pit
| W-body.com Car of the Quarter 2nd Quarter 2013

Love: it's what makes a Subaru, a Subaru
SE95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 04:28 PM   #14 (permalink)

Car: 2003 LLBean H6 Outback

I don't lube my wheel studs, and have never seen anti-seize on them, and I liberally cover the mating surface on mine with anti-seize, and I'm a slob.

By the way, if using cast rims and chasing a balancing-type vibration, check for very strong black corrosion on the wheels mating surface. On mine it caused enough runout to cause a vibe at speed, and I had to chip it off with a hammer and blunt punch, it laughed at my wire wheel, but it shattered like glass.
CNY_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 08:48 PM   #15 (permalink)

Car: 02 Outback 2.5 5sp

Got empirical evidence? This has been standard practice for decades. Adding lube to a fastener will not double the torque. It reduces the torque required to turn the threaded portion. Most stud applications call for lube, generally an oil. Some fastener manufacturers even sell their own brand of lube for this purpose. What a lube will due is increase the applied torque. Your torque wrench will not waste as much effort in just turning the fastener.

See this link, it has good info.

James

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE95 View Post
It is more than a "few". We're talking a possible difference of 50 or more footpounds. Certainly enough to ruin the stud and risk breaking them. You aren't putting as much torque on the lug nut to get it to tighten the same number of threads. So you tighten it further, stretch the stud, and risk breaking it. This is the same reason why you don't use an impact wrench to install wheels.
highest_vision is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 09:00 PM   #16 (permalink)

Your torque wrench measures the amount of pressure you are putting on it to tighten the nut. Because it requires less effort to tighten the lug nut, your torque wrench gives a false reading it will read much lower than it actually is, resulting in you OVER tightening the nut, although you have "torqued it to specs".

Source: Been through ATS training through TIA (Tire Industry Association), certified as a tire tech, also certified Goodyear Tire Expert, and I work in tires every day.
1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 194,000 miles, L26/L67 hybrid, 4T65E-HD with ZZP shift kit, GMPP front sway bar, GMPP front and rear STBs, lowered, 17inch Comp G wheels, SD headers, FWI, Autolite 104 plugs, custom DHP tune - Toy/money pit

Old 02-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #17 (permalink)

Car: 02 Outback 2.5 5sp

I have been a mechanic for a decade. I understand perfectly well how a torque wrench works. Read what I posted up. Torque wrenches, indeed, read the rotational torque applied to the fastener. The torque spec is a clamp load spec.

The less friction used in rotational torque, the more accurate the applied torque. This is why high torque load applications typically use studs, rather than bolts. Instead of turning a long bolt that twists and has a lenghty thread, a much shorter nut can be turned. The bottom end of your GM uses studs for the rods. They may not have an especially high torque applied to them, but they are subjected to dynamic loads, much like a wheel end is.
highest_vision is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 09:34 PM   #18 (permalink)

Torque is nothing but a way of guessing at the measure of the clamping force.

The nut tightens with less effort. The less effort required the less measured torque, the more you have to turn the wrench to measure the proper torque. Torque measure is not a perfect measure. That's why there are torque ranges and you should double check and triple check everything.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:55 AM   #19 (permalink)

Car: 2007 Outback XT Ltd

I use the NAPA store brand of silver anti-seize (8 ounce can). The back label specifically states that it does NOT affect bolt torque. I have used it on every conceivable type of fastener for decades with no issues. Including wheel studs (threads only, not the cone seats). I always recheck the lug nut torque after 50 or 100 miles and rarely find that the nuts have moved, even a tiny amount.

I can't comment if this applies to only this product, or to all brands.

Interesting thread here: ... Use of Anti Seize on Vehicle Lug Nuts

John Davies
Spokane WA USA.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:11 PM   #20 (permalink)

Car: '14 Subi OBW, '02 Subi OBW, '08 Toyota Sienna

As I've used a number of aftermarket wheels (winter tire packages from TireRack that often include fitment rings), the possibility of a cold weld (intermetallic formation) between aluminum and iron is a big problem. After it happened to me, I wire brushed the hubs and mating surfaces to a nice polish, and applied anti-seize. I refresh it with every rotation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: