Portal hubs? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 02:32 AM Thread Starter

Car: 2003 Subaru Legacy Outback dual range 5MT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Portal hubs?

I was reading on pirate4x4 today that some guy in Russia, I think, made some home made portal hubs. That god me thinking about how awesome it would be to make a kind of portal hub setup for the outback in which the stock axle would go in to the top of the hub and have like a 1.5 reduction gear, so it would give the car better gearing and a possibility to run a big tire since the portal hub would make the wheel sit a good bit lower so the overall ground clearance would drastically improve. That way if something broke in the hub you could just put the stock hubs back on.Now I don't want a bunch of people telling me that it would cost a fortune and it's not worth, I just want inputs on this and if there is any reason/ way this would absolutely not work. If its possible I might see what I could less what I can do with some of my friends that own a metal shop. So everybody give me your thoughts, advice and anything you have to say about this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 08:34 AM

Car: 2008 subaru outback 2.5i
Buddy that i know in my jeep club installed some portal axles in his jeep... Thing has some major ground clearance. Portals not really design for extended high speed and they can be really loud, but if you do a lot of off roading they are really nice
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I honestly don't see a need to go over 85mph and that's still fast for open roads, so I don't see why it would be hard to make a portal hub that's good for basic everyday driving.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 05:25 PM

Car: 2003 LLBean H6 Outback
If the goal was gearing only, a locking planetary assembly could be used.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Gearing would only be another benefit, the main goal is a lift of 4inches or more without having to drop anything, so basically just adding more clearance from the differentials. Since the safe amount of lift is only about 2 inches before the cv axles start getting dangerous. I don't know if there is another is another way to get more than 4 inches with out dropping or using portal hubs. Any more thoughts about the portal hubs or any other ideas?
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 12:33 AM

Car: 2008 subaru outback 2.5i
If u can fab anything is possible or find some one who can copy the hummer h1 portal axles since it is ifs and irs

Do little google searching and found this link with the above picture that was adapted for a toyota irs and ifs
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Any other way to get around 4 inches of lift without dropping anything? Im still researching alot on the portal hubs and how one could get it to work with our cars. Any more ideas?
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 03:05 AM
Gallery Ninja

Car: 2004 Outback "Bluebaru" & 2005 Outback XT
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR46and2 View Post
Any other way to get around 4 inches of lift without dropping anything? Im still researching alot on the portal hubs and how one could get it to work with our cars. Any more ideas?
Is your finished goal to have 4" of lift or 4" additional ground clearance at the diff's? (I know, I know, just bear with the question so we can go to round two)

One note on portals, from everything I've read about Volvo axles, Unimog and Hummer, I believe in all cases the portal gearing acts as a gear reduction. This is usually a good thing as most offroad guys run much larger tires than stock. In the case of the H1's, the stock tires are about 37" tall which is pretty good all and all. Additionally, the wheel offset is usually different than stock to accommodate the junk that has to fit inside the wheel, the gears and brakes and such. Many of the portal swaps (SAS) use a central driveline brake instead of brakes at the hub from what I have gathered.

Ancient moderator of color and bokeh. Boxxerace Outback Gallery: Click Here
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

How about a portal box that the stock axle goes into and the buttom hooks up to the stock hub and just lengthen the lower control arms?
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 01:31 AM
Gallery Ninja

Car: 2004 Outback "Bluebaru" & 2005 Outback XT
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR46and2 View Post
How about a portal box that the stock axle goes into and the buttom hooks up to the stock hub and just lengthen the lower control arms?
It's not a bad idea, but I think there are some challenges to it. As it is now, there's not much room between the brakes and the wheel. Add 6" of portal (or more) and you are looking at needing to have wheels that sit further outboard.

I'd look at brand new arms that are shorter, not made of tin-can material (trust me, I know first hand. JDM aluminum forged arms just installed) and shorter custom CV joints to match. Then figure out the brakes and portal box and maintain the proper alignment / pivot point for the front wheels.

Or, consider moving the front suspension forward a few inches, cut the pee out of the fenders and run some 32" tires?

Ancient moderator of color and bokeh. Boxxerace Outback Gallery: Click Here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: