Moog End Links - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-19-2013, 12:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2007 Outback 2.5I non Turbo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Moog End Links

The front end links on my car are bad so I am going to replace them. I was thinking of using the Moog links because they can be greased. Has anyone used these or is there another brand I should use?
pjk79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 01:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback Limited 2.5i w/SAP

Moog is generally good stuff, and greasable zerks are definitely a plus. I've just owned my '13 Outback for 3 days now so I won't need to think about doing this for a while.

One thing you might look for, which I have no clue if they are available, is polyurethane bushings instead of rubber. They will stiffen up the body roll during cornering a little bit because they will deflect considerably less than rubber.
BadAV is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 02:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, XT6's

i've used/seen the moog used without any problems in my small sample. and they seem robust enough - although the rubber boot seems rather weak, i wasn't a fan of the last one i bought (not sure they're like this for all units models?) - it was just a "flap", it wasn't firmly connected or anything, just lift it up with your finger nail and there was the grease and joint...no wonder it needed a grease fitting!?!?!?!?? LOL i have one on my car and it seemed well constructed minus that silly flap of a boot...doesn't seem robust for long term usage in the salt, mud, grease, putting my boat in the water, offroad, snow, salt...but we'll see, it's easy enough to replace. next time I'll probably go OEM or look into Beck Arnley as sometimes their stuff is OEM.

newer generation Subaru end links seem to fail often compared to the past few decades of low maintenance Subaru suspension....???

i've been wondering this. i'm not sure "greaseable" joints means much by itself. plenty of higher maintenance cars (american usually i think) have greaseable parts that don't have near the life expectancy of the same Subaru part. the low life span of some ball joints, tie rod ends, ujoints on other vehicles surprises me compared to the more robust Subaru components which is just about all i work on.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Clicking/failing end links are a common issue on both the Cadillac CTS and the C5/C6 Corvettes. GM has redesigned the Vette end links four or five times.

In my experience, failed greasable ball joints, tie rod ends, etc. are typically due to lack of regular greasing.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2007 Outback 2.5I non Turbo

Ok so I finally got around to installing the end links today. I went with the Moog they have metal ball and metal socket, the OEM parts are metal ball, plastic socket. They are alot heavier duty than the stock ones as well. They do have the grease fittings in them and I just plan to grease them every time I change the oil. Now its time to replace the rear and I will be going with the Moog for the rear as well.
pjk79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 06:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAV View Post
Clicking/failing end links are a common issue on both the Cadillac CTS and the C5/C6 Corvettes. GM has redesigned the Vette end links four or five times.

In my experience, failed greasable ball joints, tie rod ends, etc. are typically due to lack of regular greasing.
All the manufacturers went to sealed joints long ago. The only greaseable joints are aftermarket.

cardoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 01:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Not true on GM full size trucks. There are 13 factory-installed zerks on my 2002 Avalanche. I'm not sure about the latest generation, though, because I haven't been underneath one. I'll have to take a peek the next time I'm around a buddy that has one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: