Tire Chains - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-28-2006, 10:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 02 OBW AT Aka The Wallaby
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Tire Chains

I heard where chains are required on both sides of the Eisenhower Tunnel west of Denver.
I know nothing about chains as I live in Kentucky.
If I head out there with my 2002 OB Wagon.
What kind of chains do I need.
Are there different sizes?
Is there only one pair of chains per set?
If this is the case do I need two sets for the wagon since it is AWD?
If I only need one set would I put them on the front tires or the back?
Thanks,
RogueIT
rogueIT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2006, 11:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Just call me T. B. Player

Car: '06 OBS SE
Send a message via AIM to theletteri

since you have all wheel drive you most likley do not have to put on chans. but if you would like to be safe (i carry chains that i got free) you would be fine getting one set. if your car is an AT you should put the chains on the front since the AT is 90%F and 10%R most os the time. if it is MT i would say the back would be good because then you are less likley to spin out.

this is only my opinion so i am in no way an expert. i hope i helped

~Jason
theletteri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2006, 11:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Flying Cavalry

Car: 05' 2.5i outback

I have never had to put chains on by the highway patrol for the subie or the jeep. but do have good all season (snow tires)

in CA, there road ratings... r1, r2... etc.
i think r4 is ALL vehicles must have chains, but most of the time it's chains req'd on all but 4 wheel/all-wheel vehcles with snow tires.

I've never seen an all vehicle chain requirement since they shut the road down to everyone before that happens. would you realy want to drive in those conditions?

I know for 4-wheel drive you need one set (2 chains) for each drive axle so it may be the same for all-wheel. you dont NEED chains on all 4 tires, but you lose effectiveness.

The only time i ever had chains on my jeep was for winter travel on northern minnesota trails to the shack and they stayed on all winter. in fact, i believe chains are illiegal on public roads there.

Also, check that your car takes chains. Many VW's dont (according to the owners manual) but people still put them on.

It's up to you if you want to carry chains, but make sure you have good tires and a solid emergency kit for winter travel. And, if you get chains, know HOW to put them on and tighten them.

cheers-

05 outback wagon
old school jeep wrangler
cash fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2006, 02:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Recruit

Car: 2005 Outback XT
Default CO Chain Laws

When there are chain laws in effect, there are 2 types used for non-commercial vehicles.
The first and most common is Chains or Adequate Snow Tires, tires must be marked with M/S or all weather by the tire manufactuer and have at least 1/8" of tread depth. Fourwheel drive vehicles are required to have a minimum of 1/8" of tread depth and conventional tread or adequate snow tires.
The second type is Chains Only, use of conventional steel link chains are required, but fourwheel drive vehicles are okay without chains. Check out the Colorado State Patrol webpage if you have more questions, http://csp.state.co.us

Living in CO for 31 years, I can only remember a few cases of the Chains Only law being used. Usually the chainlaws are used to keep the commercial vehicles moving, and the nightmare traffic jams to a minimum. Check your tread depth and get ready to wave to everyone as you pass them.
bigeazzy93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2006, 11:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
IDK....my BFF Jill.......

Car: 2002 WRX MBP

If you decide to go with chains, check to make sure you're getting the right type. I have an owner's manual for a 98 Legacy here, and it says to use only SAE class S type chains of the correct size for you tires. It also says to keep your speed below 19 MPH when driving with chains.
Mistake
America
ivwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: