brake job on OB - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Recruit

Car: 2002 Outback 2.5L
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
brake job on OB

Does anyone know where I can get Info for doing a brake job on a 2002 Legacy OB. I Just can't see paying Dealer $250 for just the rears. I've done other cars before with no problem but I just like to have a guide, any info would great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 07:00 PM
Mengde's Brigadier

Car: 02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
Roscoe--

check sevl of the recent threads on here, we've been discussing brakes at length. reading those willl get you on right track.

secondly, go get a Haynes manual for late 90s Legacy/OB...abt $14 at Pep Boys....nobody explains better for the driveway mech than Haynes, as they buy, disassemble and reassemble en entire car to write manual and try to find alternatives for a special factory tool whenever they can. there may be some detail differences but the genl design of Sub calipers and how you change pads and rotors hasn't changed that much.

spend some of the $ you save on either turning old rotors or buying new ones instead of just puttin em back together with old rotor faces. and remember when in doubt, clean it with solvent.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 08:47 PM
Tokyo's between my toes

Car: 2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
Join scoobymods.com and you can read some how-to directions, with pics.
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-22-2004, 12:11 PM
Recruit

Car: 2002 Outback Sedan, V6
Why do I need to pay money on the silly scoobymods site just so I can interact w/ other Subaru owners?

I'm just trying to see if I need any special tools before I replace the front pads on my 2002 Outback!!

As an individual who works in the computer industry, who relies on the posts of other users and experts and is willing to share what I know, I find this ridiculous.

This is too much like going to work.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-22-2004, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Recruit

No you don't need any special tools to replace the front brake pads but you should remove the rotors and have them cut.
Mine are warpped so I'm replacing them cost me about $60 each on line for better quality than OEM. Hope to do it this week or next.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-23-2004, 06:47 AM
Tokyo's between my toes

Car: 2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
*shrug* I never paid anything to scoobymods, I just liked the pictures.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-25-2004, 09:16 AM

Car: 2012 Outback Wagon
crazy roscoe,
I need to replace pads and rotors on my 2000 Outback, Would like to get better than OEM. What brand did you choose, and where on- line did you get them?

Thanks,
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-25-2004, 10:40 PM
Lord of ScoobyMods

Car: 01' OB Wagon / 01' Forester S / 13' OB CVT / 10' Legacy 3.6R / 99 Mita MX-5
Quote:
Originally posted by David Marasa
Why do I need to pay money on the silly scoobymods site just so I can interact w/ other Subaru owners?
Scoobymods is free, you do have to register though. How can you say the site is silly if you've never see the detail in the mods?

Cheers,

Peaty

www.ScoobyMods.com
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-25-2004, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Recruit

pedaler8090: I found Raybestos PG Plus rotors at www.rockauto.com for $58 each local parts store wanted $85 and said they were excellent much heavier than OEM.
For pads I purchased EBC green pads low dust & excellent stopping power those I searched for the cheapest price on line which was $58 I don't recall who I purchased from & have yet to do the job.
Hope this info was helpfull
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 02:41 AM
Recruit

Car: 2002 Outback Sedan, V6
Brake job on outback

Well, I did the brake job both front and rear on my 2002 OB. Once I saw everything, I was amazed at how simple it was.
I got oem brakes for $50; so, doing both front and rear, I paid $100 for the pads-dealer would have charged me $200. (As time goes on, probably these pads will become more and more common, probably even lifetime guar-then just return them for new ones when they wear out!)

It took me about 20 minutes for both sides on the rear (including jacking up the car, removing wheels, etc.)

The dealer says you should turn the rotors on the car (how do they do that I wonder?).

I do know of a guy who specializes in Subaru, used to work at a dealership, but got sick of it. But he is here in California-only recently found out about him.

Judging by the posts, it looks like warped rotors are a common problem on these; are they cheap rotors (maybe Japanese) from the factory?

If you are mechanical at all, doing the brakes on the Outback are pretty easy-just get the rotors turned if they are warped; As mentioned above, I'm still gonna research to see if the should be turned on the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: