Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums (http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/)
-   Wheels, Tires, Brakes, & Suspension (http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/81-wheels-tires-brakes-suspension/)
-   -   just one rear brake pad and rotor wore out. (http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/81-wheels-tires-brakes-suspension/93442-just-one-rear-brake-pad-rotor-wore-out.html)

edd666666 09-25-2013 05:03 PM

just one rear brake pad and rotor wore out.

I have a 2012 Outback with about 25,000 miles on it. The rear brake pad and rotor on the drivers side wore down to metal and ruined the rotor as well. This strikes me as odd since the rest of the brakes on the front and back are worn as should be expected but nothing like this. I am having it fixed but I am wondering if this is a defect in the braking system in some way, since only one brake was worn down and it was the rear which makes it even more unlikely to go before the front brakes. Any suggestions as far as what to do next? Thanks, Ed.

cardoc 09-25-2013 05:12 PM

What did the opposing rear pad set look like? How thick was the friction material?

If the one wheel wore down a lot faster than the opposing wheel then its most likely a hydraulic system issue either within the caliper or with the AWD system. Do any off roading?

Only 25k miles on it is strange, but if its a hydraulic control issue, then that could be at any mileage.

(I'm going to reference your thread to another thread, BTW.)

Looby 09-25-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edd666666 (Post 965258)

.... wore down to metal and ruined the rotor ...

Any suggestions as far as what to do next?

Yes. Next time, don't ignore the loud screeching sound
from the brake pad wear indicators.

tdelker 09-25-2013 05:25 PM

Wear pad indicators often break off and don't provide much warning.

One rear pad being heavily worn is odd. Fronts usually wear faster. Are you sure if wasn't the e-brake that had the issue? What do the other three wheels look like? The shop should be able to tell you if something is suspicious, and would likely suggest replacing the caliper or other things. If you are doing it yourself, then you need to make sure the caliper is sliding well on the pins, and not binding.

lockmedic 09-25-2013 05:43 PM

You're under warranty. . . right?

Ruling out ABS components (as they're fairly robust), most likely culprit is the caliper or hose to said piece. If the piston doesn't retract when the brake is released, the pad will drag and wear out faster.

I know Subaru doesn't warranty wear items (like brake pads, wiper blades, etc.) but if the caliper is questionable, get that sucka fixed while it's still in warranty.

edd666666 09-25-2013 05:43 PM

Thanks for those response, they are very helpful. I don't have the information about the thickness of the other brakes yet as this was based on a quick call from the mechanic that is doing the work. He has ordered the replacement brake pad and will try to machine the rotor. I will see him tomorrow and I will ask him about the caliper, e brake, other pads wear, etc. I think I will call the dealer after this is over and notify them of the issue and see if they want to look at the car. I share your concerns that it is a hydraulic system issue and I wonder if it is a warranty issue. I will post more info tomorrow but in the meantime, please continue to offer any suggestions, advice, etc. Oh and I guess I have to turn down the radio to catch that screeching noise a bit sooner next time. Thanks again, Ed.

edd666666 09-25-2013 05:49 PM

Oh and no off roading done by me, thanks, Ed

Looby 09-25-2013 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockmedic (Post 965386)

I know Subaru doesn't warranty wear items (like brake pads, wiper blades, etc.)

WRONG. It should be 100% covered by Subaru's standard (US) warranty:

Wear Item Limited Warranty
WEAR ITEM COVERAGE is 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first.
Items covered are brake pad/shoe linings, clutch linings, and wiper blades.

Suggestion #2: Next time, don't ignore your warranty booklet.

Looby

lockmedic 09-25-2013 06:28 PM

What's with the attitude Lobby?

Sorry. . .they weren't when I worked there. . .15 years ago. Glad to hear they've gotten a bit more progressive.

subiesailor 09-25-2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Looby (Post 965466)
WRONG. It should be 100% covered by Subaru's standard (US) warranty:

Wear Item Limited Warranty
WEAR ITEM COVERAGE is 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first.
Items covered are brake pad/shoe linings, clutch linings, and wiper blades.

Suggestion #2: Next time, don't ignore your warranty booklet.

Looby

LOL ^ what he said. 36k and under your covered should have taken it to the dealer first.