Subaru Outback Forums banner

No keyhole on trunk?

18K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  snowon 
#1 ·
am I correct there's no keyhole on the trunk? if so, can it be opened with the car running? if not, I might need to submit a post over at scooby's

#2 ·
Not sure which model you're talking about, but it's a slightly annoying trend, keyholes disappearing from trunklids and passenger doors... the idea being that most cars have power locks and remote locking, so these keyholes are sacrificed in the name of cost saving. My 2004 Mazda6 has no passenger door keyhole; I had a rental Galant recently that had neither passenger nor trunklid keyhole.

In any event, I assume whatever car you're talking about has a trunk release lever/button near the driver that would work with the car running (key in ignition) or not.

my 2c
-Peter

#3 ·
In my MY05 Outback, you can unlock the door and then you can open the hatch in the back. Or if the doors are locked, you can still use the keyfob thing to unlock just the trunk.

After three months of ownership, I just noticed the passenger side lacking a keyhole the other day. Wow. I hope I never get a problem with the driver side and perhaps a dead keyfob.

Jay

#4 ·
Jay H said:
In my MY05 Outback, you can unlock the door and then you can open the hatch in the back. Or if the doors are locked, you can still use the keyfob thing to unlock just the trunk.

After three months of ownership, I just noticed the passenger side lacking a keyhole the other day. Wow. I hope I never get a problem with the driver side and perhaps a dead keyfob.

Jay
yes, but can the hatch be opened with the car running? manually and with the key fob?

#5 ·
The OBS will unlock anytime, just using the door panel lock/unlock button, but power must be active at the time.

Will also do so using the keyless entry, engine running or not, with a double-press within 5 seconds.

There's no remote lever inside the car except for the non-wagon's with trunks, FAIK. The Outback (Legacy) might be different, of course. As to it actually opening and not just unlocking, I don't think that can't be done, I guess only trunks do that. Maybe this is the real question?

#6 ·
roo said:
The OBS will unlock anytime, just using the door panel lock/unlock button, but power must be active at the time.

Will also do so using the keyless entry, engine running or not, with a double-press within 5 seconds.

There's no remote lever inside the car except for the non-wagon's with trunks, FAIK. The Outback (Legacy) might be different, of course. As to it actually opening and not just unlocking, I don't think that can't be done, I guess only trunks do that. Maybe this is the real question?
sorry, I meant "unlocked" I guess...it's just the car I have now, it won't pop open with the key fob if the car is running, but it does have a keyhole at least, so I just wanted to make sure the OB will open while the car is running

#7 ·
Ohhhh, I guess I'm confused with open and unlock.. (I think).

As Roo points out, there is no way to remotely OPEN the trunk, the keyfob "trunk unlock" or the double press of the "unlock button" or the door lock swith on the door handle will simply unlock the hatchback on the OB wagon. You still have to go back there and push the lever to open the hatch. If the hatch is unlocked, then you can open the hatch no matter what state the car is in. But there's no way to remotely open the hatch from inside or outside the car without physically pushing the lever.

I wish the OB had a rear window open option.

Jay

#8 ·
Jay H said:
Ohhhh, I guess I'm confused with open and unlock.. (I think).

As Roo points out, there is no way to remotely OPEN the trunk, the keyfob "trunk unlock" or the double press of the "unlock button" or the door lock swith on the door handle will simply unlock the hatchback on the OB wagon. You still have to go back there and push the lever to open the hatch. If the hatch is unlocked, then you can open the hatch no matter what state the car is in. But there's no way to remotely open the hatch from inside or outside the car without physically pushing the lever.

I wish the OB had a rear window open option.

Jay
gotcha, my car has a trunk, so there is no "unlocked", just open or closed. I would just hate to have to shut the car off just to unlock/open the hatch. Just wanted to find out before I buy.

#9 ·
Snowon if you're talking about the MY05 wagon it has central locking which unlocks everything from the keyfob and once this is done the rear door is able to be opened from outside. There's a switch on the drivers door to lock the car from inside if you're driving through a bad area and don't want anyone to be able to open the rear while you're in the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.