92 Legacy lift questions - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-17-2008, 11:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Legionairre

Car: 1992 Legacy LS awd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 92 Legacy lift questions

Hey all,
Jeff from southern Oregon here......I have searched this site as well as others regarding lifting my 1992 Legacy awd sedan. It looks like the most cost effective way to get more clearance and suspension travel is to put Outback or Forester struts and springs on the car. A few detailed questions:

1. Should I get a set of struts and springs from a junkyard from an OB or Forester?
2. If so, what years do I need to limit it to (I think I read from 1996 to 2002 OB)
3. If I cant find these locally for a reasonable price (less than $175 for the set), should I get KYBs and use the stock legacy springs? I have read that tirerack or ebay is the cheapest/best way to get these.
4. Should I do any other inexpensive suspension mods when I do the lift/struts?
5. I have stock sized tires on the car, what should I get with a tired out 2.2 and an auto tranny? I am thinking I better stay stock, or close to, or I will loose a lot of power/gearing.

Thanks in advance guys. I just want to make my $200 Legacy more off road capable, as I have other cars to run on the road and daily drive.

thanks,
Jeff
ou812 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2008, 12:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
I :heart: SUBARU

Car: '00OBW, '96&'94 Legacy

Hi and Lifting is fun

>>1. Should I get a set of struts and springs from a junkyard from an OB or Forester? Not sure really, I would probably go Outback, since Foresters have a different upper spring seat and size in the front (but that should still work). (But don't go '95 Outback, those won't give any lift).

>> 2. If so, what years do I need to limit it to (I think I read from 1996 to 2002 OB) After 1999 (and maybe 1999 can't remember) Outback, the rears will not work since they switched to multilink rear suspension, completeyl different from the normal mcpherson style.

>> 3. If I cant find these locally for a reasonable price (less than $175 for the set), should I get KYBs and use the stock legacy springs? I have read that tirerack or ebay is the cheapest/best way to get these. Tirerack is not the cheapest on these but they are ok. Best buys on GR-2's seem to be to find the set of four you want on eBay, as a set. Other people I'm sure will be happy to let you know where they got their best deal. You can get new Outback springs, even from a Subaru dealer selling parts online they're maybe $50 each or so.

Note: The rear strut mounts from an Outback or Forester are probably going to be dfiferent than your '92 Legacy. Some people simply drill new holes in the rear for the strut mount, or disassemble and use your existing or new strut mounts for that style.

>> 4. Should I do any other inexpensive suspension mods when I do the lift/struts? Can't really think of any; just make sure you inspect whatever strut moutns you are using, older ones can be weak or rusted out and you would want tomake sure those are good. The front strut mounts make sure they turn smoothly (i.e. bearing is not worn out).

>> 5. I have stock sized tires on the car, what should I get with a tired out 2.2 and an auto tranny? I am thinking I better stay stock, or close to, or I will loose a lot of power/gearing. You will loose take off power if you go too large on the tire size. Also at certain speeds it will just feel like it is in too high a gear. However I have not found this to be a deal breaker. Generally I just use the shifter for 1, 2, etc if I don't like the gear i'm in.

For comparison, this is a similar thing to what you are thinking, that I did to my '96 Legacy (red). KYB GR-2 outback struts, king springs, and 225/60r16 snow tires: The '94 Legacy (white) is shown for comparison:

porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2008, 12:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Oh, other note, I needed fast cam on the rear, I think just one per side in order to get camber to correct. I think on the front I could still get camber where I wanted with the stock eccentric camber bolt.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Legionairre

Awesome info Porcupine, thanks! A lot of detail there, I appreciate it. I am going to work on this in the next month, but have to get the plan all outlined. There is a 10 acre play area for atvs and off roading a mile from my house, and I will be out there playing a lot this winter if all goes well. I would love to get a group of cars out there, and do an informal rallycross or off road course!
Old 09-25-2008, 03:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 1995 subaru legacy sedan lifted with outback struts and springs with 27.5 inch tires

porcupine73 are those just heavy duty king springs or are they actually the raised king springs that give you like 1.5 more inches, they look like standard height just heavy duty. The reason I ask is I have lifted my 95 legacy sedan with outback struts and pedders outback heavy duty springs and it looks like if I had gotten the raised springs I wouldn't be able to get it back into proper camber. If they are raised, how are your cv's holding up? Mine seem like there operating at a pretty steep angle already and couldn't take much more.
oooo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2008, 04:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

I got the king springs lift springs. No cv joint issues yet. In '00obw the lift was a bit over an inch and didn't seem to really make a huge difference on cv joint angles.

On the '96 Legacy I went with Outback struts and king springs outback lift springs, that is stressing the cv joints a bit more but haven't seen any problems yet anyway. I was able to get proper camber on the '96 but I needed those fast cam bolts to do it.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
Legionairre

Got a set of OB struts and springs on their way......my gf scored some for $80 shipped from a somewhat local wrecking yard!

Wish me luck on the install!

thanks,
Jeff
Old 09-27-2008, 08:26 AM   #8 (permalink)

Wow that's not bad, those things must weight a good 20 lbs per assembly.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Legionairre

My gf works at an auto repair center as a service writer, and she used to own/manage a body shop, so she got me a great deal!
Old 10-02-2008, 01:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car: 95 Legacy wagon

I want to do the same thing you are talking about on my 95 legacy wagon. I was told I need the struts, blocks and steering column when I do a lift. Let me know if you do anything beyond the struts and springs. Also if your gf could hook me up with a deal on some OB struts and springs that would be most cool.
subdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: