Subaru Outback Forums banner

'08 OBXT --> '14/'15 Foz?

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Old Chub 
#1 ·
Hi gang! It's been a while since I posted here.

I've still got my '08 OBXT (and my '02 WRX Wagon), but I've been curious about the new Forester model. Has anyone here made the switch from a Gen 3 Outback to the current Forester? I know it has a shorter wheelbase, and higher ride, but how's the highway comfort? Pros/cons?

We're retired, and will be empty-nesters this fall, so plan to explore a lot of the country. So I want highway comfort, but mild off-road ability for forest roads, gravel, etc. The OBXT can do all that, but my wife doesn't drive stick (so I'd be behind the wheel on all the highway hours) and there's still that 2.5 turbo waiting to implode...

I don't care for the newer Outback, so I'm not interested in one of those. (Drove one for two weeks in Seattle, Rainier, St Helens area last summer.)

Thanks for any input,
Steve

#2 ·
I guess no one here has upgraded from a Gen 3 Outback to a 2014/2015 Forester. Or if they did, they don't visit here any more. I've posted the same question on the SubaruForester.org site, and there's no one there that has, either.

#3 ·
I test drove a 2014 Forester

I liked everything except the road noise. If I hadn't just gotten out of a Honda CR-V just minutes before I might not have noticed it, because my 97 Outback isn't a very quiet ride. There seemed to be fewer blind spots to contend with than the new Outback. Not sure what I will be getting when the time comes.
Those silly triangular windows on all the 2015 models aren't to my liking either.

#4 ·
I liked everything except the road noise. If I hadn't just gotten out of a Honda CR-V just minutes before I might not have noticed it, because my 97 Outback isn't a very quiet ride. There seemed to be fewer blind spots to contend with than the new Outback. Not sure what I will be getting when the time comes.
Those silly triangular windows on all the 2015 models aren't to my liking either.
you might have to get use to it,...more car companies are putting them in for the same reason = easy to spot pedestrians and dogs around the A pillar.

here is one of planet subaru's take on the subject.

and more mirrors on posts for less drag and wind noise. see this Porsche918 you should really talk to the justice league or the fools on mount olympus about getting you one of these,...(invisible though of course).

#6 ·
But back to the issue regarding wheelbase

I know that the wheelbase on the new Outback is even bigger at 108.1 inches BUT it turns around in 36 feet, which is better than my first gen which is 37. That's something I've yet to test for myself if it's really true. The Forester is 34.8 which would be even better.

The new Outback also has tie downs for the roof rack, something we could have used on a trip in my BFF's 2013 helping her son move. Ended up strapping the mattress AROUND the roof. Not sure if Forester got that upgrade.

Good luck figuring things out for your next set of wheels.

#7 ·
I currently drive a 14 Forester 2.5 and am actually looking to go to an older Outback. I have had the vehicle for some 25k miles. Some of the biggest complaints are the seats and heating. The seat are less than comfortable, to the point they feel like truck seats. The second gripe is the lack of floor heating. If your feet get cold easily or have blood flow issues don't expect the floor heat setting to help. The CVT transmission will take some getting used to as well especially when the car is not fully warmed up. I would head over to subaruforester.org and read up reviews on what people like and don't like. The ride is considerably harsher too.

All that said it is a great vehicle still, but different at the same time. It definitely has some strengths to it, but drawbacks as well. Were you looking at the 2.5's or the XT's?

#8 ·
Thanks guys,

I was looking at the Forester XT Premium, and then after spending some time in both at the auto show, I tested a 2015 Outback 3.6R for about five hours last week.

Long story short; I'm keeping my 2008 Outback 2.5 XT. The turbo and 5-speed are such a great combination that I'll just never find again (other than in my Bugeye WRX Wagon), and the new Outback just seemed so large and indistinguishable from many other similar vehicles.

Thanks for the replies,
Steve

#9 ·
Keeping a great car always sounds like a great choice.

Otherwise, I think that you were on to something with the FXT Premium. That is probably the most bang for the money that Subaru provides at present (outside WRX).

While I think that the 2015 H6 is still a great car, dropping the VTD lost me.

I also agree that the 5 EAT is just such a great transmission that it is hard to walk away from it even though the HT CVT is impressive, at least on road.

#10 ·
Mine is a 5MT, not a 5EAT. That, with the turbo, is a combo never to be found again in an Outback or Forester. And at only 33,600 miles, it is still in nearly new condition. That's why I'm keeping it.

Steve

#11 ·
It only has 33k miles?? Of course you're keeping it! (But really, let me know if you ever really want to sell it, I'll fly out there and take it off your hands.)

That being said, some friends of mine bought a '15 Forester from Planet Subaru, started to drive it back home but after 45 minutes on the road turned around because the seats were too stiff and not at all good for back issues. They hopped in a new OB and cried wee wee wee all the way home.

We almost bought a Forester 6 months ago, but now we have Nigel, and we couldn't be happier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.