Subaru Outback Forums banner

Coil overs?

3K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  Dave1955 
#1 ·
#2 ·
@traildogck (= yogurt when it comes to suspension).

this is for a 2008 WRX.

#6 ·
GodSpeed is a well known aftermarket producer. The quality looks 2x better just from the pictures. And I mean...the construction of them. The flanges and housing is better quality.

They look like they still have a solid pillow ball at the the front camber plate, but that is REALLY hard to get away from for less than $1200-$1500. These are a much better set. The spring set even looks better and the have better specs in the description.

Twice the $$$$ of that other set tho...BTW coilovers, you get what you pay for. Does that mean that you spend $1500 you get good coilovers...NO. But for $400, I can guarantee they were made for a $400 Civic with a fart-can...and grew from there.

#7 ·
Thanks I will keep the last set on my list then!
I know I don't want the car any lower then stock really but I won't mind a stiffer ride. I just don't like how the car wallows in the bumps..especially in curves were there is uneven pavement.
My only other thought is to put konis in my strut.

I did find a local set of low millage stock struts for 225....maybe I should try those then if i'm not happy maybe put the konis in my old struts?

https://buffalo.craigslist.org/pts/5557448146.html

#8 ·
What car are these for? Are you talking the WRX or the 2007 OB?

The OB is certainly wallowy. My XT felt dangerous when I got her at 65K miles. I have the Koni inserts up front in my car. 2000-2004 KYBs in the rear...they are all wrapped with King Springs. My OB is lowered a touch, but less than an 1" an I have a 1/2" forward rake...vs the backward..."Toyota Tilt" most of the Yota trucks suffer from. The adjustable dampening helps...but the Koni is a dial and more like 4-5 range rates. The Kings are stiff, but they are tuned more to handle rally.

She takes those really big, unstable seams and rough pavement at higher speeds and stays locked down. I sacrifice "pothole comfort" for sure, but the potholes in Denver destroy tires and wheels...I drive around them. Most manholes are 3" down and off camber. But if @ 85mph in rain and high cross winds...I can drive with confidence...it's worth it.

I have a complete Eibach-over-Koni...front and rear for the car. But that will lower me a touch more. Dunno when, or if...I will try them. But I couldn't pass on the deal... thx @Heffernan. I also have a set of BC-MR coil overs. Rubber pillowball top. I am considering putting them on the car, very soon. They are completely height adjustable. They will even go up from where I am at to regular OB height. But I won't. I got a good deal on those as well, (here as well) the guy couldn't go low enough with these...so I'll be covered.

But back to the point...WRX or OB. I wasn't aware the WRX was wallowy..

It doesn't matter what car really, you may have other suspension issues. These cars aren't great here...they need upgrades.

#11 ·
Check some of the other bushings. The LCAs still have a big, compliant rear bushing and the rear lateral links do as well. Sometimes tight sway bars make things worse, if there are other problems...

This car had some marginal rear shock, marginal rear lateral link bushings and an upgraded sway bar with lateral locks.

opps...

Attachments

#12 ·
Dang!

I'll check it all but the rear seems ok if not just a little soft. I can really feel it in the front though on rougher roads..fine on good roads.

I did notice that the bushing in the lca is cracked looking but they are still there but I bet they do need replacing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.