2013 XV crosstrek - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #11 (permalink)

Car: 2006 Outback Wagon 2.5i 5spd MT Atlantic Blue Pearl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabKen View Post
Sorry if I missed it earlier, but isn't the XV simply a spirtual successor of the Impreza Outback Sport (and not Legacy Outback nor Forester)?

And while on that, I noted in all the car mags and online sources that Subaru sneakily avoids re-hashing the "Outback" nomenclature on the XV. Anyone know why?
Yes, it is the spiritual successor to the discontinued Outback Sport...it is an Impreza hatchback with all the bells and whistles with a slight lift. However, as time goes on, cars get bigger. In fact, modern compact cars are larger than older mid-size cars. For example, I once drove a late 80s/early 90s Camry that was a lot smaller than an 09 Corolla. My 95 Civic was roughly the same size as the 93 Accord.

All that to say, the new Impreza is larger than the older ones, just as the new Legacy and Outback are larger than the older Legacies and Outbacks. Pair that with a bigger lift than the Outback Sport, and when you analyze the dimensions, it's closer to a Gen 3 OB than the OBS we used to know. So idea-wise, it's the successor to the OBS, but in actuality, it's also a spiritual successor to the Gen 3 OB.

As for ditching the OB nomenclature, it's probably to ease confusion. The Outback and Outback Sport were two entirely different things, hardly related. I'm still not sold on the name (I'm kinda guessing they'll drop the XV part like they dropped the B9 from Tribeca), but oh well. The point is that it is unlikely that it will be confused with the Outback.
NGK Iridium Plugs
Everstart Maxx 35N Battery
beachedwhale42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2012, 05:36 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasterman View Post
I think there's plenty... the forester is a small SUV, the XV is a hatchback on a tall suspension.

Beyond that, there are the marketing angles. By now, the Forester has found a niche as a reliable compact 4-wheeler. Lots of people who subscribe to consumer reports and buy medicine through AARP love the Forester. (OK this is a very broad generalization but work with me)

Meanwhile, the XV is wild and new and fresh... which can be a tough sell to anyone other than the youth market.

I would expect marketing & styling efforts to help differentiate these two models. We'll see wilder colors & wheels on the XV, and not so much on the fozzies. Subaru can keep these cars distinct for a long time without too much effort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachedwhale42 View Post
I agree. It was the same difference that drove me to the Outback over the Forester (I was looking at the 2005-2007 model years). Nowadays, the Forester (even though it's based on the Impreza platform) competes with things like the Escape. The XV will fill the spot of small/mid car with a hatchback and ground clearance. It'll still feel and drive like a car, but it's more capable. The Forester can't do that. In fact, I'm not really sure what other vehicles *can*.
Thanks for that clarification.

I guess I was comfortable with the Outback nomenclature/franchise if you will, as IMO it helped give different Subie models extra credential over time. Maybe not quite in the same league as M, AMG, Quattro (and "Prius" ... ha !) but AFAIC, if it ain't broke, don't fix it

Maybe XV stands for eXtroVerted
2009 Honda Odyssey EX-L, 40K kms
2006 Legacy spec. ed. wagon (sold)
1993 SAAB 9000 CSET (sold)
SaabKen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 01:25 PM   #13 (permalink)

Car: 2013 XV Crosstrek

Does anybody know if the Crosstrek comes with 3rd Generation like roof rails and not those non-moveable crossbars that the 4th gen Outbacks came with?

I have a 2005 Outback XT (non-limited) and I use Thule 450s and crossbars to haul everything from long sea kayaks to rec kayaks to bikes to skis. I really disliked the 4th gen outbacks non-moveable crossbars because of their fixed position. I made this known to Subaru a few times.

Looking at some initial pictures of the crosstrek, I have seen everything from no roof rails to what looks like 3rd generation roof rails. Does anybody have a definitive answer of what will come on the model available for us? The pictures on Subaru's website surely looks promising but I can't zoom in enough to really tell...

Jay
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #14 (permalink)

Car: '11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

I thought this was perfect for my wife when I learned about a year ago. Then I learned the start stop won't come to the US, then I found out 33 mpg. It IS just an impreza with forester suspension and flares, tired of waiting, ordered a '12 impreza. The wife just feels better being high, but in reality it doesn't make much of a difference

i have a few parts that aren't supposed to be there...

tired of a sore elbow from the hard plastic armrest? get a cover here http://www.redlinegoods.com/cgi-bin/...r&id=1&aid=774
bradze is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 03:38 PM   #15 (permalink)

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradze View Post
The wife just feels better being high, reality doesn't make a difference
Old 04-26-2012, 04:03 PM   #16 (permalink)
SubaruOutback.org Founder

Car: 2010 Outback Unfixable Shaker Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasterman View Post
I think there's plenty... the forester is a small SUV, the XV is a hatchback on a tall suspension.

Beyond that, there are the marketing angles. By now, the Forester has found a niche as a reliable compact 4-wheeler.
Well I say one thing, unless the Forester gets the CVT I believe the XV will be stealing a lot of sales due to its far superior fuel economy. That alone may drive potential buyers to consider the XV even if they don't quite like it otherwise.

Quote:
Yes, it is the spiritual successor to the discontinued Outback Sport...it is an Impreza hatchback with all the bells and whistles with a slight lift. However, as time goes on, cars get bigger. In fact, modern compact cars are larger than older mid-size cars. For example, I once drove a late 80s/early 90s Camry that was a lot smaller than an 09 Corolla. My 95 Civic was roughly the same size as the 93 Accord.

All that to say, the new Impreza is larger than the older ones, just as the new Legacy and Outback are larger than the older Legacies and Outbacks. Pair that with a bigger lift than the Outback Sport, and when you analyze the dimensions, it's closer to a Gen 3 OB than the OBS we used to know. So idea-wise, it's the successor to the OBS, but in actuality, it's also a spiritual successor to the Gen 3 OB.

As for ditching the OB nomenclature, it's probably to ease confusion. The Outback and Outback Sport were two entirely different things, hardly related. I'm still not sold on the name (I'm kinda guessing they'll drop the XV part like they dropped the B9 from Tribeca), but oh well. The point is that it is unlikely that it will be confused with the Outback.
Spot on analysis. I have nothing to add other than saying that many (on Outback.org) affectionately refer to the Outback Sport as the "Baby Outback" and I know a lot of OBS owners don't see that as being as funny as many others do.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #17 (permalink)

Car: 2010 2.5i

Quote:
Yes, it is the spiritual successor to the discontinued Outback Sport...it is an Impreza hatchback with all the bells and whistles with a slight lift. So idea-wise, it's the successor to the OBS, but in actuality, it's also a spiritual successor to the Gen 3 OB.

All the outback sport got over the Impreza was larger wheels, roof racks, and a two-tone paint job and nothing done as far as a suspension lift.

In the sense that the Crosstrek will be getting an actual suspension lift, it is closer in spirit to the Outback (Outback = lifted legacy wagon... until it killed demand for the legacy wagon and just right-out replaced it). I think this is also one of the main reasons for the re-branding stateside: When I hear the name outback sport, I think Impreza with a paint job. The Crosstrek XV name made me stop and take the time to investigate.
statueim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2012, 07:05 AM   #18 (permalink)

Car: 2013 XV Crosstrek

I think the bonus thing for me, being the owner of a 05 Outback XT, is that the Crosstrek uses the same rims as my outback, which means I can use my snow tires.... I need the ground clearance for winter pursuits...

Any info on the roof rails, while I'm here... It looks from the pictures I've seen of the Crosstrek with roof rails, is that it seems to use the same rails as the 3rd generation outbacks and not the hideable ones as the 4th gen, the ones that don't move fore and aft...

Jay
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #19 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Impreza Sport Limited DGM

Has anyone seen an XV on the road yet outside of the US?
uspopo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #20 (permalink)

Another thing that would make the XV interesting is if Subaru offers their old package they did with the limited models where you can get all the nice stuff in MT format. This might be the right vehicle to attract enough MT drivers to the higher end interior offerings like leather - upgraded electronics etc. I would also think the XV would or should be offered in the larger 2.5 engine format given its marketing spin of being sporty outdoorsy gear hauler fun ride etc where a little extra grunt would be wanted to haul gear and do trips to the MT bike trail heads etc.
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: